Helpful ReplyWhat's sooo bad about Waffle House

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 11
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/12 19:48:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ces1948

I went in this morning for a waffle and sausage. Waffle was great, sausage was thin and fairly tasteless. Place was pretty dirty for 10 am. Decided I don't like sitting at the counter, too crowded to eat and read the paper.

Yep! You're right. The sausage IS tasteless, But Waffle Houses are the McDonalds of Breakfast Places. But a Notch Above. Don't expect IHOP Quality (Or Price).
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 10:49:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by Quartz

quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

We don't have Waffle House up here in the North, and I guess they're about as likely to move up here as the Carnegie Deli is to open in Little Rock, but I appreciate Mr. King posting the menu.

What's so bad about Waffle House? I can't speak for the food, service, or cleanliness but that kaleidoscopic Disney-colored train wreck of a menu would put me off breakfast for a while.

Speaking of Little Rock, there is a Waffle House out next to the airport where I grabbed a very satisfying breakfast back in May.

As far as having them up north, I must assume that there are none in Minnesota, because when my brother comes down every winter from Red Wing, he and his buddies make a bee-line to the closest Phoenix area Waffle House before hitting the links...it's like a tradition or something... and they eat like there is no tomorrow.

Anyway, for good waffles, my current local locale would be Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles....damn fine food.

DD

Some say it's because they're Imtimidated from the Coney Islands, Big Boys, Denny's, and IHOP's.

It's just an Urban Legend Though.

I am a WH Gold Card Holder and held my Wedding Reception there!
WH will never be intimidated by other chains. They OWN the Waffle World among others.
Since 1955, the WAFFLE HOUSE System has served:

495,264,367 Waffles
957,041,599 Cups of Coffee
1,173,838,328 Hashbrown Orders
370,545,935 Sausage Patties
786,449,152 Bacon Strips
14,899,594 Slices of Ham
1,527,602,959 Eggs
22,217,455 Slices of Pie
123,587,123 T-bone Steaks
115,220,427 Hamburger Quarters
479,312,699 Glasses of Coke?
1,108,574,633 Order of Grits
72,567,509 Cheese n' Eggs
204,164,660 Omelets

Did you Know?

If you lay all of the Bryan bacon end-to-end that Waffle House serves in a year, it will stretch from Atlanta to Los Angeles seven times! (That's more than 21,000 miles of bacon)
If you could stack all of the sausage patties we serve in one day, it would reach the TOP of the Empire State Building! (Did you want grits with that?)
Waffle House serves more than 3.2 million pounds of grits each year. That is enough to fill 86 semi-trucks!
Each year Waffle House customers eat more than 334,000 pounds of pecans in their waffles. That is more than 21 million pecans.
Waffle House customers consume two percent of the total eggs produced in the United States for foodservice use. That is more than 185,000,000 eggs every year, 500,000 eggs everyday, 20,833 eggs every hour, 347 eggs every minute and five eggs every second.
If you used all of the eggs Waffle House serves in a year to make a cheese omelet, it would weigh 28 tons and would need 185 million slices of cheese. (Do you want hashbrowns with that?)
If you lined up all the bowls of Bert's Chili?Waffle House serves in a year, it would stretch the length of Florida's coastline on both the Atlantic and the Gulf coasts!
Waffle House serves more than 10,000 T-bone steaks every day.
If you stack all of the USDA Choice hamburger patties Waffle House serves in a year, it would equal the height of 18 Mount Everests!
Waffle House serves more than 381 tons of country ham every year. That translates to more weight than a fully-loaded Boeing 747 at takeoff.
- The first Waffle House?restaurant opened on Labor Day in 1955 in Avondale Estates, GA.

- The Waffle House System operates more than 1,500 restaurants in 25 states.

- Waffle House?restaurants are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (including Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day).

FOOD FACTS
The Waffle House System is the world's leading server of:
- waffles
- T-bone steaks
- omelets
- cheese 'n eggs
- USDA Choice hamburgers
- country ham
- pork chops
- grits
- hashbrowns
- patty melts
- raisin toast
- apple butter
- Heinz Traditional Steak Sauce
The Waffle House System only serves the best brands including:
- Coca-Cola soft drinks
- Heinz complete line of sauces
- Sara Lee family of pork products
- Bryan bacon, ham and country ham
- Jimmy Dean Sausage
- Minute Maid Orange Juice
- Wishbone salad dressings
- Waffle House Classic Blend Coffee
- Waffles made with White Lily Flour

- Challenged to a test, Waffle House?restaurants have found at least 70,778,880 different ways to prepare its USDA Choice hamburgers.

- The Waffle House System has served more than 442,451,500 waffles (and counting!) since 1955.

- Waffle House?restaurants serve more than 95 million cups of coffee each year.

THE WAFFLE HOUSE EXPERIENCE
- Waffle House?restaurants are the only place where you can hear classic waffle songs "Good Food Fast," "Waffle Doo Wop" and "Waffle House Family" on a real jukebox.

- Although there is one "official" Web site, an Internet search turns up more than 2,200 Web sites that mention Waffle House?restaurants. Waffle House?restaurants ranked in the "Top Five" of "Around the Clock Eats" on the Food Network.

- Bert's Chili?and our world famous hashbrowns were featured on "Sara's Secrets" on the Food Network.

- Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Ron White and Larry the Cable Guy are seen eating at a Waffle House?restaurant in their 2003 movie, Blue Collar Comedy Tour - The Movie.

- A Waffle House?restaurant is featured in a scene in the 2002 Britney Spears movie "Crossroads."

- The R & B group "112" filmed their "It's Over Now" video at a Snellville, GA, Waffle House?restaurant.

- Hootie and the Blowfish released a CD in 2000 entitled: "Scattered, Smothered & Covered" and pictured a Waffle House?restaurant on the cover.

- After enjoying a meal at a Destin, FL., Waffle House?restaurant, TV talk show host Rosie O'Donnell flew a grill operator and two salespeople to New York to be on her show in December 2000. They presented her a "Waffles for Life" certificate.

- A Waffle House?restaurant is prominently featured in a scene of "Tin Cup," a feature film starring Kevin Costner.

- A sampling of the many other celebrities seen eating in a Waffle House?restaurant:

- Former President George Bush
- Kenny Chesney
- Sean "P. Diddy" Combs
- Jeff Foxworthy
- Vince Gill
- Amy Grant
- Merle Haggard
- Faith Hill
- Beyonce Knowles
- Ludacris
- LeAnne Rimes
- Pete Sampras
- Emmitt Smith
- Marty Stuart
- Billy Bob Thornton
- David Toms
- Usher
- Mark Wills
- Reese Witherspoon
- Jay-Z

Did you know that Waffle House serves on average 46,000 drunks a day.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5620
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 10:55:04 (permalink)
I'm going to need a professionally prepared statistical analysis to back up that claim, Senor.

Do you have a link?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23306
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 12:44:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I'm going to need a professionally prepared statistical analysis to back up that claim, Senor.

Do you have a link?

Why, I saw a guy in the Waffle House just the other day who acted as if he'd had a glass of beer a few hours earlier.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 15:14:26 (permalink)

Michael, You were looking into a Mirror.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 15:38:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Michael, You were looking into a Mirror.

Nope. I don't drink beer. And there aren't any mirrors at the Waffle House.
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 16:15:50 (permalink)
"And there aren't any mirrors at the Waffle House."

I've often shaved there in my younger years, using the greasy equipment for a mirror before I had to leave for work.[|)]
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13946
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 16:49:54 (permalink)
Senor: I sincerely do not appreciate your post indicating that they served so many drunks per day. I do not believe you can back up your stats. No data, no debate.

If you cannot, you have no credibility

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 16:59:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kensandyeggo

"And there aren't any mirrors at the Waffle House."

I've often shaved there in my younger years, using the greasy equipment for a mirror before I had to leave for work.[|)]

You know, I keep hearing on here about all these horrible, filthy Waffle House restaurants, and although I've certainly not been in anywhere near all of them, I've never seen one that was dirty, greasy, unsantitary or whatever. Granted, my experience is limited, but I've been eating in Waffle House restaurants in states from Ohio to Florida, including most of the South, since 1971 or 1972.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 17:06:59 (permalink)
The Waffle Houses's I have been to in the Knoxville area have been extremely clean and neat. I think sometimes folks just jump on the the band wagon with no data and certainly minor experience. Perhaps it is possible for a certain Waffle house to have issues as it is in any place. I think they work very hard to keep their franchise neat.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5600
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 18:23:30 (permalink)
more than one person has mentioned bad experinces with cleanliness at Waffle Houses.
I thought I was the only one for a while who had that experience, but finally other North Carolinians said the same thing: The Waffle Houses were consistently dirty.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 19:56:26 (permalink)
Originally posted by Scorereader

more than one person has mentioned bad experinces with cleanliness at Waffle Houses.
I thought I was the only one for a while who had that experience, but finally other North Carolinians said the same thing: The Waffle Houses were consistently dirty.

[/quote

EXACTLY!!! That's what makes the food taste like Home-Made in North Carolina!!!
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 20:59:50 (permalink)
http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-073107-krg-wafflehouse.ce3243bb.html

What do some of you folks do, pop in on a thread and only read the last post? I posted this on August 27. By the way, they are still closed.

Heck, long as I'm posting about sanitation scores, I may as well blow my own horn. Couldn't do any better if we tried.

http://mecklenburg.digitalhealthdepartment.com/facilities.cfm?facilityID=7D3AA3EB-1323-A5B3-1A64D7CD7D0F0F29&v=3
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4247
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 21:10:22 (permalink)
quote:

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-073107-krg-wafflehouse.ce3243bb.html

What do some of you folks do, pop in on a thread and only read the last post? I posted this on August 27. By the way, they are still closed.

Nope..................I do not pop in on posts. What happened to that WH may happen in a lot of restaurants. I once sat in a barbeque restaurant in Jacksonville, Fl where there were 4 roaches climbing up on the plastic booths that we were sitting in. I compained; was given some stupid story about how they could not help it as the placw was just sprayed and the roaches were crawling out. When I got up to cashier and told her that we could not eat our meal and had left it and that I did not feel that I had to pay my bill, she picked up the phone next to her and said "Pay or I call the cops". Pay I did and away I went, never to return.

I have been in many dirty restaurants that were not Waflle Houses and I have been in many Waffle Houses that were wonderfully clean with great employees and decent food and best of all, no damn cheesy gift shop to wade through before I was seated!
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1527
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/13 22:17:40 (permalink)
The only one I can comment on is located in Kingsport, TN on East Stone Dr. I've only been there 5 or 6 times in the past few years and twice in the last couple of months. It has been dirty each time I've been there. What kind of stands out is that I don't usually go during the busy times and though there is usually plenty of staff on hand they seem more interested in kibbezting (sp) with each other than cleaning the place up. I know this is a management issue as the manager is doing most of the talking. There are two or three other locations in the area that I should try to see if they are any cleaner.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/14 15:24:36 (permalink)
quote:

What do some of you folks do, pop in on a thread and only read the last post? I posted this on August 27.

kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/14 17:31:55 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

What do some of you folks do, pop in on a thread and only read the last post? I posted this on August 27.

What I meant was that some comments by some of our esteemed contributors seemed to indicate, at least to this scribe, that they've never even heard of a dirty Waffle House, so that is why I proferred that comment, indicating that I have posted previous evidence of unsanitary WH establishments. In case this post doesn't make any sense.............never mind.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/15 00:05:46 (permalink)
believe me, they've heard of it. I've been slamming WH for as long as I've been posting - well before Aug 27th. They may not have experienced, but they know they're out there.

However, I did give a promise quite a while back that I'd give some NoVa/MD ones a try, since maybe the problem was just in NC. So far, the occasion has not presented itself. I may get a chance to hit one next Wednesday in Frederick, MD, when I head north for T-day. If it works out that I can get there, I'll post about it.
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/15 04:54:14 (permalink)

The "46,000 drunks" bit was a joke! Geesh. How many of you people go to Waffle House after an evening out drinking or clubbing and want some food to settle your stomach before you went home?

A 24 hour, 7 day a week operation is going to attract all kinds of people.

I am sorry if I offended the holy Waffle House.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/15 09:06:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

The "46,000 drunks" bit was a joke! Geesh. How many of you people go to Waffle House after an evening out drinking or clubbing and want some food to settle your stomach before you went home?

I thought it was funny.
some people definately need to lighten up.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/15 19:46:33 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

I thought it was funny.
some people definately need to lighten up.

Color me one of the 46,000. TGFWH--- Thank God for Waffle House!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6818
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/15 21:07:38 (permalink)
I've never been to a Waffle House drunk or sober. Maybe next May when I head to Hocking Hills in Ohio I will look one up and see if it is clean.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/15 22:39:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

I've never been to a Waffle House drunk or sober. Maybe next May when I head to Hocking Hills in Ohio I will look one up and see if it is clean.

If you're heading back to the Hocking Hills I think you'll have to stop in the Columbus area for a Waffle House experience. South of Columbus, on U.S. 33, which is likely the way you'd be heading, there is a Waffle House on the Gender Road exit at Canal Winchester. I believe that would be the closest to the Hocking Hills.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6818
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/16 11:00:08 (permalink)
Michael,

I'll make a note of it before heading out. On our trips this past year through Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio and that general area I remember passing by Waffle Houses but we never stopped at one. We don't have them in Minnesota. Do they have them in Virginia outside Washington DC? We will be there over Christmas.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/16 11:16:32 (permalink)
I don't know about the Northern Virginia area, although I know they have them in Virginia, and in Maryland, too.

Edited to fix spelling before some idiot posts something about it.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/17 03:44:29 (permalink)
Hello All,
I appreciate any food provider willing to be open 24 hours since
my work hours are at night. In addition, if I would be drinking
until 2 or 3 in the early mornings, I would love a place to rest
and eat as I finished my night's revels.
The thread started out asking about what was bad about Waffle House.
They are not the HoJo's I needed in the 1980's in my crazy days.
But Waffle House is good, except...they do not offer French Fries.
Repeat...They do not offer French Fries.
And there is not a sense of friendliness or community for late-night
workers at the local Waffle House when I go there after work. They
are a surly bunch of cooks and servers. I just want to order and get out.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/17 04:10:07 (permalink)
Field Thistle: They do not offer french fries but they sure do have some great hash browns.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2218
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/17 07:43:41 (permalink)
Doozie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/17 21:52:24 (permalink)
Mmm. Waffle House. 12 health dept. violations. Bon appetit' Michael.

http://www.healthspace.ca/Clients/VDH/ARoanoke/ARoanoke_Website.nsf

Doozie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/17 22:22:10 (permalink)
Pardon, the URL wasn't specific. Well, I'll enclose this snippet from one of the Roanoke County locations.
-------------------------------------
Waffle House #77 - Inspection Report
Inspection Information:
Facility Type: Full Service Restaurant
Inspection type: Routine
Inspection date: October 15, 2003
Number of critical violations: 4
Number of non-critical violations: 8
Definition of critical and non critical violations

Violations:
A summary of the violations found during the inspection are listed below.

Code Observation / Corrective Action
3020 Soap was not provided at the hand washing lavatory in the back kitchen
Hand soap must be provided at all hand washing lavatories to encourage proper hand washing. Hand cleanser must always be present to aid in reducing microorganisms and particulate matter found on hands.

3030 No disposable towels were provided a the hand washing lavatory in the front and back kitchen areas.
Hand drying devices such as individual disposable paper towels, a continuous towel system that supplies the user with a clean towel or heated air hand drying device must be provided at all hand washing lavatories to encourage proper hand washing and avoid employees to drying their hands on their clothing or other unclean materials

1960 glasses were found stacked while wet after cleaning and chemical sanitization.
Items must be allowed to drain and air-dry before being stacked or stored to allow evaporation of chemical sanitizer and moisture that may encourage microbial growth.

1900 Critical Repeat When tested, no sanitizer or a low concentration of chemical sanitizer was found in the wiping cloth bucket. corrected during inspection
Provide @SANITIZING AGENTS@ at proper concentration of @SANI CONCENTRATIONS@ and immerse or expose food contact surfaces to sanitizing solution for adequate time.

0820 Critical Repeat Batter, cheese, eggs and pies cold holding at improper temperatures.
Cold hold potentially hazardous food at 41°F (45°F) or below to inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria.

0470 The cut or damaged opened wet package of hash browns sitting in water in the prep unit subject to contamination.
Prevent cross contamination by protecting food containers that are received packaged together in a case or overwrap from cuts when the case or overwrap is opened.

2890 Light bulb in cooking area not shielded, coated, or otherwise shatter-resistent.
Shield or replace light bulb with a coated or shatter-resistant bulb.

0960 1 Critical The food contact surface of the plastic containers is not safe.
Replace the plastic containers to permit easy cleaning and prevent the migration of deleterious substances, or transference of colors, odors, or tastes to food.

2930 Outer opening of the food establishment is not protected against entry of insects and rodents.
Protect the food establishment against the entry of insects and rodents by 1. Filling or closing holes and other gaps along floors, walls, and ceilings, 2. Closed, tight fitting windows, and 3. Solid, self-closing, tight-fitting doors. Insects and rodents are vectors of disease-causing microorganisms which may be transmitted to humans by contamination of food and food-contact surfaces.

2260 Critical Observed a hose attached to a faucet fixture. The hose extended below the flood rim level of the sink basin.
Install an approved backflow prevention device or alter the length of the hose to provide the necessary separation between the water supply and the flood rim level of the sink basin. The minimum allowable separation distance must be at least 2x the diameter of the water supply inlet and at least 1 inch.

2000 Repeat Cartons of single service items were found stored on the floor
Store single service items in a clean, dry location where not exposed to splash, dust or other contamination at least 6 inches above the floor.

3350 Unnecessary poisonous or toxic materials found in the food establishment. discarded during inspection
Remove unnecessary poisonous or toxic materials.

Comments:
None
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 11
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5