Helpful ReplyWhat's sooo bad about Waffle House

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/18 00:03:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Doozie

Pardon, the URL wasn't specific. Well, I'll enclose this snippet from one of the Roanoke County locations.
-------------------------------------
Waffle House #77 - Inspection Report
Inspection Information:
Facility Type: Full Service Restaurant
Inspection type: Routine
Inspection date: October 15, 2003
Number of critical violations: 4
Number of non-critical violations: 8
Definition of critical and non critical violations

Violations:
A summary of the violations found during the inspection are listed below.

Code Observation / Corrective Action
3020 Soap was not provided at the hand washing lavatory in the back kitchen
Hand soap must be provided at all hand washing lavatories to encourage proper hand washing. Hand cleanser must always be present to aid in reducing microorganisms and particulate matter found on hands.

3030 No disposable towels were provided a the hand washing lavatory in the front and back kitchen areas.
Hand drying devices such as individual disposable paper towels, a continuous towel system that supplies the user with a clean towel or heated air hand drying device must be provided at all hand washing lavatories to encourage proper hand washing and avoid employees to drying their hands on their clothing or other unclean materials

1960 glasses were found stacked while wet after cleaning and chemical sanitization.
Items must be allowed to drain and air-dry before being stacked or stored to allow evaporation of chemical sanitizer and moisture that may encourage microbial growth.

1900 Critical Repeat When tested, no sanitizer or a low concentration of chemical sanitizer was found in the wiping cloth bucket. corrected during inspection
Provide @SANITIZING AGENTS@ at proper concentration of @SANI CONCENTRATIONS@ and immerse or expose food contact surfaces to sanitizing solution for adequate time.

0820 Critical Repeat Batter, cheese, eggs and pies cold holding at improper temperatures.
Cold hold potentially hazardous food at 41°F (45°F) or below to inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria.

0470 The cut or damaged opened wet package of hash browns sitting in water in the prep unit subject to contamination.
Prevent cross contamination by protecting food containers that are received packaged together in a case or overwrap from cuts when the case or overwrap is opened.

2890 Light bulb in cooking area not shielded, coated, or otherwise shatter-resistent.
Shield or replace light bulb with a coated or shatter-resistant bulb.

0960 1 Critical The food contact surface of the plastic containers is not safe.
Replace the plastic containers to permit easy cleaning and prevent the migration of deleterious substances, or transference of colors, odors, or tastes to food.

2930 Outer opening of the food establishment is not protected against entry of insects and rodents.
Protect the food establishment against the entry of insects and rodents by 1. Filling or closing holes and other gaps along floors, walls, and ceilings, 2. Closed, tight fitting windows, and 3. Solid, self-closing, tight-fitting doors. Insects and rodents are vectors of disease-causing microorganisms which may be transmitted to humans by contamination of food and food-contact surfaces.

2260 Critical Observed a hose attached to a faucet fixture. The hose extended below the flood rim level of the sink basin.
Install an approved backflow prevention device or alter the length of the hose to provide the necessary separation between the water supply and the flood rim level of the sink basin. The minimum allowable separation distance must be at least 2x the diameter of the water supply inlet and at least 1 inch.

2000 Repeat Cartons of single service items were found stored on the floor
Store single service items in a clean, dry location where not exposed to splash, dust or other contamination at least 6 inches above the floor.

3350 Unnecessary poisonous or toxic materials found in the food establishment. discarded during inspection
Remove unnecessary poisonous or toxic materials.

Comments:
None

[b]THIS REPORT IS FOUR YEARS OLD!![/b] WHAT REVELANCE IS IT???
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/18 09:38:25 (permalink)
Frankly, after reading this report,my first thoughts were that the violations were pretty typical of alot of restaurants.Having worked in many food establishments, I have never worked in one that inspectors didnt find something.I am not condoning violations, but the fact that the employees forgot to fill soap and paper towels may have just been an oversite during a massive food rush.Storing food at an improper temperature is a big no-no, however.I noticed in North Carolina, restaurants post their health inspection scores.Not naming the restaurant, I noticed their score was 93.Pretty good, but they obviously still had violations.All could have been critical for all I know, but they werent shut down...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23192
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/18 13:07:13 (permalink)
The relevance is that Doozie is a shill for a local burger chain-- Kenny's, if memory serves -- and Waffle House is a competitor.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6817
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/18 13:56:29 (permalink)
That inspection report is typical of what you might get in any restaurant. Most of it was housekeeping practices that could be easily corrected and a lot of that happens during busy periods. It is also management which is easily corrected with better managers and that is up to the owner. Maybe that is the difference as is often cited by Michael of the Ohio Waffle Houses.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5600
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/19 00:25:51 (permalink)
ya know what...if it was a Burger King or Taco Bell that had 4 critical and 8 non-critical for a total of twelve violations four years ago, most people on this site would say something to the effect that they'd never go there again. And there probably would've been some sort of slam on ALL Burger Kings, not just the one(s) that were cited. Which leads me to believe, that those same people really shouldn't have been going to the Waffle House since 2003.

Why the Waffle House is immune to the same standard other FFF seems to have to live up to on this site, is beyond me.

For the record, I hate Burger King, it was simply an example - but one should know, that the three buger kings in Roanoke County and the three in Roanoke City have never received more than 2 criticals, and the one located at 7121 Williamson Road in Roanoke has never had ANY - neither of the two Pizza Huts in Roanoke County have had more than two, and that happened only once at one of the locations, none of the Subways or Macdonalds in Roanoke County has had more than three criticals - between the two Taco Bells in Roanoke County they have only had one critical violation - that's one (1) TOTAL critical violation between the two restaurants combined.

Does this mean ALL the FFF restaurants I mention above are great all over the country? Absolutely not. But the point is, that many people have complained about filthiness at Waffle Houses, and people defend the Waffle Houses - nobody defends the BKs, or McD's, Pizza Huts, TB etc when we hear about filth at any of those locations around the country. Meanwhile, Waffle House #77 has gotten one report with 5 criticals violations (one being that food was not dated properly and had the kitchen had flying insects) and a subsequent report of 4 critical violations and Waffle House #627 has had a report with 4 critical violations in its past. The fact that we can compare a Waffle House with some other area FFFs, helps to explain why some people view Waffle Houses as being dirty. And even in the face of that evidence, there are people on this site who will defend Waffle House and say that they don't believe it, or that it's localized, or that it's not really all that bad. Well, I can tell you that I've seen filthy Waffle Houses and I had never been to the ones in Roanoke, VA. So clearly, the problem is not simply localized. It's a FFF, and I'll never understand why it gets defended on a site that is generally (with exceptions, of course) about mom and pop roadfood kitchens.

David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2188
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/19 10:51:41 (permalink)
When that Taco Bell/KFC franchise in Greenwich Village made the national news with videos of rats running around the place after hours, Yum Brands conferred with the multiple location franchisee. Eventually, a decision was made not to reopen. Probably on the advice of a consultant that running a clean restaurant directly above a huge NYC subway station was an uphill battle.

The Waffle Houses I ate in were generally along the Interstates, and co-located with or near the motel I was staying at. In short, it was convenient and the waffles were great. A lot of these locations were aging, but I never had any complaints with cleanliness. But the incident described on page 2 of this thread about the WH in Charlotte, NC that was closed this summer does raise questions about how much support the franchisor provides to franchisees. Are there any quality control inspections performed to protect the reputation of the chain?

A franchisee facing a shutdown by the health department has a lot of money at stake. I raise the question of whether WF has any resources to help out the franchisee, if assistance was requested. Of course, the franchisee could also be out of it, and this is a problem for the medical doctors, not a FF franchisor.
cancel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 448
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/23 15:18:53 (permalink)
While having breakfast at two different Waffle house locations last week, I noticed that two eggs with toast & hash browns were $3.10 plus $3.59 for a side order of country ham = $6.69. The same items ordered as country ham & eggs combo had a price of $6.90. Hmmm - some special.
Doozie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/26 17:40:12 (permalink)
"The relevance is that Doozie is a shill for a local burger chain-- Kenny's, if memory serves -- and Waffle House is a competitor."

Dude-- what have you been smoking? It would be tough for "Kenny's" to be a competitor to anybody since they've been OUT OF BUSINESS for over 20 years!

Doozie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/26 17:54:14 (permalink)
Anyway, let's get back to the fact that most Waffle House locations are filthy holes that are frequented by assorted lowlifes and drug users. I was in Wilmington N.C. this past summer, and driven by desperation, decided to stop in the Waffle House there. I should've known better. The first indication of trouble was the incessant ringing of the telephone behind the counter that was being ignored by all the staff, which was busy chatting with their friends. A glance at the grill revealed that yes, it was possible to have stainless steel that was so grimy that not a single shiny spot appeared anywhere on it's surface. Well, I sat down at the counter and looked over the menu, looked, waited, looked, waited, looked, waited. I guess they didn't like strangers at their little clubhouse and I didn't have any more time to waste, so I hopped off the stool and got back in my car and headed on, vowing to myself that I would never stop at another one of those dumps again. IHOP maybe, Denny's maybe, even a Shoney's or Omelet Shoppe perhaps, but I'm through with Waffle House.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2218
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/26 18:28:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Doozie

Anyway, let's get back to the fact that most Waffle House locations are filthy holes that are frequented by assorted lowlifes and drug users. I was in Wilmington N.C. this past summer, and driven by desperation, decided to stop in the Waffle House there. I should've known better. The first indication of trouble was the incessant ringing of the telephone behind the counter that was being ignored by all the staff, which was busy chatting with their friends. A glance at the grill revealed that yes, it was possible to have stainless steel that was so grimy that not a single shiny spot appeared anywhere on it's surface. Well, I sat down at the counter and looked over the menu, looked, waited, looked, waited, looked, waited. I guess they didn't like strangers at their little clubhouse and I didn't have any more time to waste, so I hopped off the stool and got back in my car and headed on, vowing to myself that I would never stop at another one of those dumps again. IHOP maybe, Denny's maybe, even a Shoney's or Omelet Shoppe perhaps, but I'm through with Waffle House.

Perhaps, they just didn't like you.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/26 18:30:31 (permalink)
I'm sure they didn't like her. How could they, considering the things she says about all Waffle House restaurants and their customers and employees?
DecMac
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/26 19:05:27 (permalink)
Hello,

I'm a regular reader of Roadfood.com, but this is my first post. I'm really amazed at the length of this thread. I travel over 100,000 miles a year by car for business, all over the country and have been in many dozens of Waffle Houses over the past 20 years. The food is about what you would expect (very greasy, but satisfying) but the overall cleanliness of this chain is so bad, that I will never stop in another Waffle House again. If there is a central office that oversees the franchises, I would bet that they NEVER spotcheck the locations. I find them to be filthy more often than not, and I rarely find Denny's to be dirty (I use Denny's as an example because it's a similar restaurant in terms of menu and price).

Secondly, I find these forums to be essentially friendly, but the way folks have been attacked in this threat is really pretty silly. The way people get hammered for giving their opinion on Waffle House is so out of whack, perhaps it's those attackers that are the true shills- for WH? Oh well, I suspect I'll be accused of being a shill too, or something worse, but I couldn't really give a hoot. Just thought I would give my 2 cents.

DecMac
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/26 21:09:54 (permalink)
I've been eating in Waffle House restaurants for a good 35 years, with the very first one being somewhere near the airport in Atlanta. In all that time, in Waffle House restaurants everywhere, there are two things I have never, ever seen: greasy food and filthy premises.

Do Waffle House restaurants get dirty during the course of a shift? Of course they do -- as do all establishments that serve food to the public. Do Waffle House crews spend a lot of time cleaning up? You bet! Whenever they get a slowdown. Is it possible that there have been Waffle House restaurants that are improperly run and are not up to par in terms of cleanliness and local health regulations? I'm sure there must be.

But for anyone to say, as several folks here have, that Waffle House restaurants are generally filthy can only be the result of ignorance or hatred of the chain for reasons having absolutely nothing to do with the food or the cleanliness. When someone says that Denny's restaurants are cleaner, one can only ask how that person would know without having had the opportunity to watch what's going on in the kitchen. Now, I don't know about every Denny's, of course, but I do know that I've never been allowed to look in where the food is being prepared and the dishes are being washed, and the uneaten leftovers are being handled.

Frankly, folks, I find these disgusting attacks on a fine restaurant chain to be nothing short of scurrilous.

By the way DecMac, welcome to Roadfood.

(Would that have anything to do with a Digital DecMate and a Macintosh?)
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 11:34:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

But for anyone to say, as several folks here have, that Waffle House restaurants are generally filthy can only be the result of ignorance or hatred of the chain for reasons having absolutely nothing to do with the food or the cleanliness.

no, actually, it has to do with going to Waffle Houses.
In your view, all these people who have had less than stellar experiences must either be ignorant or have some sort of inner hatred for the restaurant chain. But you, on the other hand, who clearly loves this chain, cannot possibly be the one who is misguided and blinded by your own bias. Certainly, in your mind, you cannot be the one with the bias, so it must be all these other people. What ever.

as I said before, even in the face of proof that Waffle Houses in one area when compared to other chain restaurants, are not as clean, a WH lover comes out and calls people ignorant for pointing out the problem.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13934
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 11:52:23 (permalink)
I have been a member of Roadfood.com for many years. As long as I hve been a member, this thread and many others like it have dealt with the same issue. Some like it and some do not. The argument will never be settled.

It is a chain that is very large and I am certain that due to the thousands of locations they have, there will be issues. I do not believe that issue or problem will ever be resolved.

Personally, I really enjoy their menu as I have for many years. My thoughts are just my personal view.

My only other thought is if you do not like it, do not go there and I do not blame you as I never go any place that I do not care for.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 12:05:13 (permalink)
Any place that is open 24 hours is going to have cleanliness issues.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 12:05:56 (permalink)
here are some other opinions on the subject:

1- 2 Waffle Houses in Texas get a "C" the lowest scores of the week. Both Waffle Houses were lower than any other restaurant inspected that week. (11/16/2007) http://www.kfdm.com/onset?id=23533&template=article.html

2- In this study done by Dateline, Waffle Houses over a 15 month period received the worst score of all other restaurants in the study. http://www.marlerclark.com/news/chilis22.htm

3- ok, this isn't "cleanliness," per se, but it does repflect the overall image that most people have with Waffle House. See the second page and look at the otmosphere ranking. Waffle House is DEAD LAST. http://www.rimag.com/archives/2002/03a/srcharts.pdf
I would think, cleanliness would play into people's perception, at least a little.

I guess all these people who went to Waffle House and the people who worked on the statistic data are ignorant.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 12:12:33 (permalink)
Scorereader: says

guess all these people who went to Waffle House and the people who worked on the statistic data are ignorant.

I am one of the millions who visit Waffle House and I certainly do not consider myself ignorant. I have my opinion as well as you have yours to to categorize folks like myself as ignorant is certainly not polite.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2218
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 12:52:10 (permalink)
Here are over 100 Epinions about WH. From 1 star to 5 stars, they average about 3.5 http://tinyurl.com/25tj68
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 13:14:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Scorereader: says

guess all these people who went to Waffle House and the people who worked on the statistic data are ignorant.

I am one of the millions who visit Waffle House and I certainly do not consider myself ignorant. I have my opinion as well as you have yours to to categorize folks like myself as ignorant is certainly not polite.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I was not refering to the patrons of Waffle House as ignorant. My comment was in reference to the poster who said that people who thought WH's were dirty, were ignorant. Ergo, to that poster, since those people in the cases I cited found WH's to be the worst, they must be ignorant.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 13:25:27 (permalink)
Sorry Scorereader. I guess I misread your post.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 13:46:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

Here are over 100 Epinions about WH. From 1 star to 5 stars, they average about 3.5 http://tinyurl.com/25tj68

for comparison:
Cracker Barrel earned a 4 star of 5. http://www0.epinions.com/rest-Chain_Restaurants-All-Cracker_Barrel

In that same on-line forum, WH also fared worse than:
Wendy's
Sonic
Red Robin
Frisch's
Checkers
who all got 4+ stars.

WH got the same 3.5 as
IHOP
Arby's
White Castle
Carl's Jr.
A&W
Golden Corral
Old Country Buffet

Also, regarding the food. MANY of the cons for reviewers who gave a high mark of 4 or 5 stars state the con is : greasy food. So, even the people who like it, admit to greasy food. Only 1 person actually listed "clean" as a pro.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4247
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 13:57:46 (permalink)
Those polls show what we already know..........different strokes for different folks. Personally, I would rather eat at Waffle House where I can see them cooking my food. At least I know that if something is dropped, it is not put back on the grill.

Personally. I hate walking through a huge and tacky gift shop in order to get to the hostess station to get a table. I guess that there are many people that enjoy that very much and that is great! Gives me a better chance at getting a stool at the counter at WH so that my grand daughter can watch them cooking her breakfast.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 16:21:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader
[br

no, actually, it has to do with going to Waffle Houses.
In your view, all these people who have had less than stellar experiences must either be ignorant or have some sort of inner hatred for the restaurant chain. But you, on the other hand, who clearly loves this chain, cannot possibly be the one who is misguided and blinded by your own bias. Certainly, in your mind, you cannot be the one with the bias, so it must be all these other people. What ever.

as I said before, even in the face of proof that Waffle Houses in one area when compared to other chain restaurants, are not as clean, a WH lover comes out and calls people ignorant for pointing out the problem.

You seem to have a problem with comprehension. I did not call people ignorant. But, if you think of yourself that way, well, feel free.

What I said was, "But for anyone to say, as several folks here have, that Waffle House restaurants are generally filthy can only be the result of ignorance or hatred of the chain for reasons having absolutely nothing to do with the food or the cleanliness."

Now, are Waffle House restaurants generally filthy? You have nothing to back up any such claim. Not one damned thing. All you can do is point to several places, and then you can only do so in reference to a particular point in time.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 16:57:29 (permalink)
quote:

You seem to have a problem with comprehension. I did not call people ignorant. But, if you think of yourself that way, well, feel free.

when you say people are doing something out of ignorance, you are essentially calling them ignorant. I certainly don't feel that way about myself, since I can actually become informed of a topic and cite published examples from reputable sources. I haven't seen the same industriousness from you, however.

quote:

Now, are Waffle House restaurants generally filthy? You have nothing to back up any such claim. Not one damned thing. All you can do is point to several places, and then you can only do so in reference to a particular point in time.

no, you're wrong again. I've pointed to several instances at several different points in time. When a person can cite several instances on several occasions over several years in various locations around the country, that is pretty much in support of making a general statement that there is a systemic problem of cleanliness at Waffle Houses.

Just because you are unwilling to see the facts as they are presented and are unable to come to the logical conclusion that Waffle House has a systemic problem, doesn't mean it's not true.

No one has said that ALL Waffle Houses are unclean and dirty. But it has been said that enough Waffle Houses have had enough problems in several locations across the country over many years, that it is hurting the reputation of the company. One merely needs to read Epinions, where there are several people that have cited problems in the cleanliness department. These reports come from people all over the country. Despite some glorious reviews on said site, when one receives this type of information, the logical conclusion is that when taken en mass, Waffle House has a problem that their corporate headquarters needs to address.

I'm sorry you are unable to see that.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/27 18:26:18 (permalink)
The fact is, you cite reports garnered from various sources that prove just one thing: There have been cases in which particular retaurants have been cited for health code violations. I don't bother because such things are of absolutely no importance. The reason for that is that apples and oranges are just fruits.

It's been many years, but when I was a sanitarian in Orange County, Texas one of my jobs was to inspect restaurants. Growing up I delivered meat to restaurants for my father's company. Even today I frequently get the opportunity to visit restaurant kitchens.

Commercial kitchens are always going to appear messy, dirty, filthy (depending on one's point of view) to someone who is unfamiliar with what's going on. When things are busy stuff falls on the floor, behind the table, back of the slicer. When that happens a kitchen does not shut down in order for the entire place to be thoroughly cleaned. If there's a break in the action, perhaps, and after a shift, always.

When you go into a place such as the Waffle House you are looking directly at a working kitchen. Stop in when it's slow. That's when you'll see the floor being scrubbed, the waffle makers being cleaned, the flat griddles being stoned.

By the way, greasy? I can't recall ever having a greasy waffle, greasy eggs, greasy hash browns, greasy steak, greasy pork chops, greasy soup or even greasy grits in a Waffle House. Bacon? I certainly hope so. Sausage? Heck yes.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/28 09:26:37 (permalink)
quote:

The fact is, you cite reports garnered from various sources that prove just one thing: There have been cases in which particular retaurants have been cited for health code violations. I don't bother because such things are of absolutely no importance. The reason for that is that apples and oranges are just fruits.

It's been many years, but when I was a sanitarian in Orange County, Texas one of my jobs was to inspect restaurants. Growing up I delivered meat to restaurants for my father's company. Even today I frequently get the opportunity to visit restaurant kitchens.

Commercial kitchens are always going to appear messy, dirty, filthy (depending on one's point of view) to someone who is unfamiliar with what's going on. When things are busy stuff falls on the floor, behind the table, back of the slicer. When that happens a kitchen does not shut down in order for the entire place to be thoroughly cleaned. If there's a break in the action, perhaps, and after a shift, always.

When you go into a place such as the Waffle House you are looking directly at a working kitchen. Stop in when it's slow. That's when you'll see the floor being scrubbed, the waffle makers being cleaned, the flat griddles being stoned.

By the way, greasy? I can't recall ever having a greasy waffle, greasy eggs, greasy hash browns, greasy steak, greasy pork chops, greasy soup or even greasy grits in a Waffle House. Bacon? I certainly hope so. Sausage? Heck yes.

These are reports from inspectors. I too worked in several kitchens, from a large commercial kitchen to a mess hall, and a some in between, for about 7 years of my life. We knew when the inspectors were coming. Managers often did their own inspecting at the busiest times (not to be jerks, but to to make sure staff was as careful during high times as low). Critical problems do not include a piece of lettuce on the floor. Critical means that someone mislabeled the food by putting the wrong date or did not store food in the proper container, stocked damaged goods in the storage areas, are not keeping food at proper temperatures, bugs are present in food handling areas, etc. These things should not be a problem even when things are busy. Non-critical things are not important, and are often due to simple oversights or simply that the restaurant was swamped. Critical violations means the food the customer is eating has not all been handled in a safe manner. As some sort of food inspector, you should know that.

And if a restaurant has an open kitchen, they should work even harder because they can't hide anything. Perception is as real as fact. If hundreds of people are seeing a dirty kitchen at busy times, while only a handful are seeing clean kitchens at slow times, the overall public perception will be that of a dirty kitchen.

And you over simplify my findings. I have shown a systemic problem. The fact is, you don't care to take note if it, because you enjoy Waffles Houses. Well, so be it. You've been informed. Caveat emptor.

And for the record, "greasy" was a term used by several people on Epinions, not something I made up. Perhaps their idea of greasy is different from yours. I know I've had greasy eggs at a Waffle House. So, I'll side with the hundreds of other people who said the same thing from various Waffle Houses around the country.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/28 10:33:39 (permalink)
Haven't we just about waffled this to death? It seems it has now come down to parsing each others words without advancing anything new to the discussion.

I will try a Waffle House at my next opportunity. Meanwhile, having never been to one, I take on no opinion either way.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/28 11:25:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Haven't we just about waffled this to death? It seems it has now come down to parsing each others words without advancing anything new to the discussion.

you think THIS is bad, wait until that P2008 thread gets going!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/28 11:45:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

you think THIS is bad, wait until that P2008 thread gets going!

It's going good already. Bruce Bilmes stuck his head out of his road food reviews once again.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5