Helpful ReplyHot!What's For DINNER ...???

Page: << < ..356357358359360.. > >> Showing page 357 of 361
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9479
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/09 14:26:15 (permalink)
JoyB
Tonight will be left-over fried chicken that I made yesterday with a big pan of Southern Mac and cheese. My daughter and her fiance came down from Boston so since I know  her man LOVES fried chicken, I brined some in buttermilk and Sriracha and some spices Saturday night into yesterday and got out the cast iron pan and Crisco and fried some up. Came out amazing.

I only make this dish maybe once or twice a year and it still never ceases to amaze me how crispy and yummy it is now that I use Crisco instead of only vegetable oil. I also add a little cornstarch to the dredge. The mac and cheese was a new recipe to me. I used eggs instead of making a roux for the binder. Absolutely delicious. I used 5 cheeses and it came out really good. It has been really hot in CT so leftovers are great. I will only have the oven on for a short time to heat the chicken. 

mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11809
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/09 15:06:47 (permalink)
Yum!  The cornstarch is the trick!

I have never made fried chicken at home.  What do you do with all that oil or Crisco that is left?
JoyB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/09 15:31:28 (permalink)
mar52
Yum!  The cornstarch is the trick!

I have never made fried chicken at home.  What do you do with all that oil or Crisco that is left?

I agree that the corn starch helps with the crispiness! As for the Crisco and oil, I save it in a coffee can and then throw it out in the most responsible way I can. It seems wasteful but you really can't reuse it unfortunately. This is one of the reasons I only do this once or twice a year. It is pricey. But, I only fill my cast iron pan up about 2/3 of the way and the chicken is mostly submerged so it beats "deep frying" although I would not call it "shallow frying" either.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/09 19:29:10 (permalink)
Thank you!  It's what I thought but that has been puzzling me.  
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4935
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/09 21:09:31 (permalink)
Must be the day for fried chicken, although yours sounds WAY better than the stuff I picked up at the grocery store. I also bought some bacon ranch pasta salad and loaded smashed potato salad. I leave in less than 12 hours and am in the mad packing rush... no way I was cooking!
mar52
Porterhouse
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/10 01:36:08 (permalink)
Have fun, Felix!

Our grocery store fried chicken is good.  That's what I had Sunday night.  It was way too hot to cook.  I called it a paper plate night.  There was no way I was going to stand to wash dishes.

I also got the Ambrosia from the deli case.  Heaven!  It was made with fresh fruit rather than the canned fruit cocktail.

Tonight I was busy making flan for a dinner at a friend's tomorrow night.  The oven was hot so I made a little baked macaroni and cheese.
NQV
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/11 06:05:58 (permalink)
Last night - pan fried salmon with Hollandaise sauce, pasta bake with mushroom, and peas.
Tonight - hamburger night.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/11 22:42:25 (permalink)
We ended up just outside Portland, Maine after flying into Boston! Last night we ate at the only place open, a forgettable brewpub in Biddeford (Mulligan's) that has no website, but at which we both ate fried haddock sandwiches and tried a forgettable local craft beer. The sandwiches were pretty tasty, and they had decent coleslaw.

Lunch today was at Sebago Brewing Company in Scarborough. He had clam chowder and a Caesar salad, I had haddock tacos. We also tried a couple of decent beers (a red and a summer). All was fabulous!

Dinner was at the Maine Table Restaurant in South Portland. He got their pot roast, and I don't know how they roast it but that beef was melt-in-your-mouth tender and very tasty! I got more haddock (it seems to be a thing I do here). 
 (from the menu) House Specialty Baked Stuffed Haddock
Fresh from the sea! Baked haddock filet topped with our own shrimp, scallop, crab meat, and Ritz cracker stuffing. Served with mashed potatoes

That fish was over an inch thick, and "stuffed" is a misnomer as the stuffing is baked on top of the fillet. Whatever... it was fantastic, and I took half of it home!

Then because we weren't already so full we wanted to die, he noticed there was a Friendly's next door to the store we were going to, so we had to have ice cream since apparently that was a thing from his childhood. I've never had Friendly's ice cream, and it makes me sad we don't have them where I live.

I have no pictures of anything whatsoever. Never even crossed my mind until we were leaving the Maine Table tonight. I've been enjoying the company too much to even remember I have a phone, much less take pictures of my food.
post edited by felix4067 - 2018/07/11 22:44:43
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 636
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/11 22:49:51 (permalink)
Woohoo!!!  That is an excellent start to the grand vacation!
mar52
Porterhouse
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/12 00:19:18 (permalink)
NQV,  I want what you had last night.  That salmon and rice is right up my alley.

Felix!  I hope your haddock meals includes Finnan Haddie.  My Mother used to make it once in awhile.  I remember that she cooked it in milk which now sounds awful.  But it was good!
I also want Friendly's ice cream.  Any ice cream!
NQV
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/12 06:08:25 (permalink)
It was good Mar - salmon is my #defaultfish!  
Tonight, pizza.  
post edited by NQV - 2018/07/13 05:51:39
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/12 23:18:07 (permalink)
Mar, my haddock has all been breaded and fried, but I'll definitely look for Finnan Haddie while we're here. It'll go over big with both of us.

Today we took a tour of the Acadia National Park, and then stopped for dinner at The Travelin' Lobster. We split a classic lobster roll and a pound of mussels, and I swear my toes curled and it may have gotten x-rated if there weren't other people there. HUGE chunks of lobster tail, claws, and knuckles, little tiny bit of mayonnaise, and excellent grilled bun. The mussels were to tender they virtually melted in our mouths, with next to no chewing involved. I'd never had lobster less than a day from the sea before, and now I'll never be able to eat it otherwise every again.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/13 01:10:42 (permalink)
Felix, I am anxiously awaiting every day of your vacation reports.  You're not disappointing me!

I had Cream of Wheat with butter, brown sugar and something called Non-fat half and half!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22936
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/13 11:20:12 (permalink)
Finnan haddie is made with cold-smoked haddock.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22936
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/13 11:20:12 (permalink)
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 809
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/13 13:08:07 (permalink)
felix4067
Mar, my haddock has all been breaded and fried, but I'll definitely look for Finnan Haddie while we're here. It'll go over big with both of us.

Today we took a tour of the Acadia National Park, and then stopped for dinner at The Travelin' Lobster. We split a classic lobster roll and a pound of mussels, and I swear my toes curled and it may have gotten x-rated if there weren't other people there. HUGE chunks of lobster tail, claws, and knuckles, little tiny bit of mayonnaise, and excellent grilled bun. The mussels were to tender they virtually melted in our mouths, with next to no chewing involved. I'd never had lobster less than a day from the sea before, and now I'll never be able to eat it otherwise every again.

Felix, Glad your having a good time my old stomping grounds...Acadia is my hometown...the Schoodic side. Awesome description of the Lobster, when I tell people that Exact same thing, they roll their eyes.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8579
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/13 13:13:03 (permalink)
I thought "Finn and Haddie" were on "The Mickey Mouse Club"...
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/13 21:13:07 (permalink)
Wintahaba

Felix, Glad your having a good time my old stomping grounds...Acadia is my hometown...the Schoodic side. Awesome description of the Lobster, when I tell people that Exact same thing, they roll their eyes.

Then you'll probably get that our home base is in Scarborough, and we're doing day trips both near and far to explore! It's absolutely gorgeous here, and I couldn't be happier.

Today we stayed closer to home. I made breakfast in the room (French toast with local maple syrup, sausage, scrambled eggs). Then dinner was at The Lobster Shack (Roadfood review, website). We got a lobster dinner with an extra lobster, plus two clam cakes. The dinner came with fries and slaw, which I'm sure were fine but why would you fill up on those when you're eating lobster less than 12 hours after it was caught sitting next to the ocean?? The lobster was ohmygod amazing, but the clam cakes were more bread than anything and didn't have much flavour. Ambiance, company, and lobster however all get marks off the scale, and totally worth it!

Then for dessert we went to the Kettle Cove Creamery (Roadfood review, website). He got salted caramel which he reports wasn't very salty at all (but then we realized you can't really salt ice cream or it melts). I got one scoop of red raspberry chip and one scoop of blueberry pie, and both were excellent! I didn't take pictures of the ice cream, but I remembered to get pictures of dinner!

mar52
Porterhouse
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/13 23:13:51 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Yes, that's why I like it.    I just thought that a place that serves haddock might also serve it smoked.

will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 636
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/14 00:14:00 (permalink)
Beautiful lobsters!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/14 18:23:39 (permalink)
Food report's a short one today. We stopped at Sweetgrass Winery for a tasting, and bought a bottle of blueberry cabernet sauvignon as well as a bottle of blueberry sangria. Then we went to Maurice Bonneau's Sausage Kitchen for some summer sausage and andouille meat sticks. Finally dinner at the Maine Diner (featured on DD&D), where I had their "Clam-O-Rama" - "If you're a clam lover, this one is for you. This dinner includes a cup of clam chowder; a combination of fried whole Maine clams, clam strips and a clam cake."

Fat, stuffed, and happy, and we also have slightly over two pounds of salt water taffy and some chocolates from Len Libby's Candies, home of the "world's largest chocolate moose"! Lenny is made from 1700 pounds of milk chocolate, the pond he stands in is dyed white chocolate, and the momma bear and cubs are made from a total of 540 pounds of dark chocolate. They wouldn't let me sit on him to take a picture. 

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/14 19:14:31 (permalink)
So what's the ambient temperature inside Len Libby's?  With that much exposed chocolate I can't imagine the mercury's too high in the glass...

felix4067
The dinner came with fries and slaw, which I'm sure were fine but why would you fill up on those when you're eating lobster less than 12 hours after it was caught sitting next to the ocean??

Mr. Language Person would never eat a lobster that was sitting next to the ocean at the time of its capture.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/15 20:30:31 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
So what's the ambient temperature inside Len Libby's?  With that much exposed chocolate I can't imagine the mercury's too high in the glass...

Mr. Language Person would never eat a lobster that was sitting next to the ocean at the time of its capture.

First, it was slightly cooler than you'd normally keep a place, but not so cold we were uncomfortable even though we were there for a little over a half hour. I'd say they keep it at maybe 65F in there, maybe a little less. We're more curious how they've preserved it so it hasn't molded or fallen apart in over 10 years!

Second... 
I was stuffed with clams and wine and chocolate and happiness, so my English skills went out the window. I don't even care! 

Tonight we went for lobster again, except we didn't pay the premium to sit next to the ocean. Ken's Place was just down the road from the hotel, with a full parking lot. We got lucky and hit a lull and only had to wait a few minutes to order, but by the time we got our food there was a line out the door and around the side of the building. We each got a lobster dinner (lobster itself was excellent, fries were crispy and tasty, coleslaw was dry and flavourless, dinner roll was excellent after it soaked up everything from the plates). He also got a half-dozen raw oysters with the best cocktail sauce and horseradish I've ever tried. I only ate that, though, as I don't do oysters. But they were local, and he said they were excellent.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/17 00:12:09 (permalink)
Road trip day! We started just down the street at Holy Donut for coffee and a six-flavour mix (maple bacon, triple berry glaze, pomegranate, toasted coconut with coconut milk glaze, fresh lemon, and dark chocolate sea salt). Then we set off to the west on the Kancamagus Highway through New Hampshire, which is absolutely gorgeous.

Once we got into Vermont, we went to the Ben & Jerry's factory where we ended up opting against the tour, but did get ice creams (Chip Off the Dough Block, Cinndoughrella, P.B. Doughable Chocolate, and Maple Walnut). I also bought some chocolate chip cookie dough lip balm, because it exists.

Then we stopped by the Cabot Creamery where we tasted a ridiculous number of cheeses and ended up buying Farmhouse Reserve White Cheddar Cheese, Lamberton Cheddar Cheese, Garlic & Herb Cheddar Cheese, Hand-Rubbed Tuscan Cheddar Cheese, and Vintage Choice Cheddar Cheese. I also picked up some maple sugar candy and some maple sugar lozenges.

From there, we followed hand-painted signs to a farm stand on someone's porch with an honour box, where we bought garlic scape pickles and garlic scape pesto, both of which are excellent (and now I know I do want to make the pesto next year when scapes are back).

Finally, on the way back home we ended up at the Campfire Grille, where we split a cod Reuben (read: fried cod sandwich with coleslaw) and a Long Lake Burger (topped with horseradish cheddar and creamy horseradish sauce). Both were excellent, the fries were perfectly crisp but also tender inside, and the bread & butter pickles were perfect.

Now we're in the room drinking Moxie cola and eating olive oil and rosemary potato chips. It's been a good day!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/17 09:18:39 (permalink)
I have no idea why you went all the way to the Northeast, when you can undoubtedly eat this well or even better back in Grand Rapids...
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/17 11:29:51 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
I have no idea why you went all the way to the Northeast, when you can undoubtedly eat this well or even better back in Grand Rapids...

Undoubtedly! But I wouldn't have the Guy for company there. 

ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10361
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/17 11:29:59 (permalink)
What a grand trip so far!!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9479
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/17 11:36:11 (permalink)
Last night I barbecued Italian sausage on the grill, fried up multi-colored peppers with onions, got some nice crispy hoagie rolls, and we enjoyed Italian
sausage sandwiches!
JoyB
Junior Burger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/17 15:32:59 (permalink)
leethebard
Last night I barbecued Italian sausage on the grill, fried up multi-colored peppers with onions, got some nice crispy hoagie rolls, and we enjoyed Italian
sausage sandwiches!

Now that is making me want to make sausage and peppers tonight. Sometimes I throw in some cut up potatoes instead of making a grinder with the sausage and it makes for an excellent meal! I think I will be making this dish very soon. Thanks for reminding me of this one leethebard! 
JoyB
Junior Burger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2018/07/17 15:39:38 (permalink)
"Then because we weren't already so full we wanted to die, he noticed there was a  next door to the store we were going to, so we had to have ice cream since apparently that was a thing from his childhood. I've never had Friendly's ice cream, and it makes me sad we don't have them where I live."

To make you drool.....this is a Friendly's concoction!

Page: << < ..356357358359360.. > >> Showing page 357 of 361
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5