What's for dinner during March madness??

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Nemis
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
2006/03/15 16:13:44 (permalink)

What's for dinner during March madness??

Being a buckeye we are going to watch the game on Friday with Guiness, Sausage , onions and peppers.
Sorry , passed on the corned beef and cabbage...but i'll fry up some green peppers for that St pattys day spirit
When ever i see Guiness it looks SOOO good with all the creamy froth and rich dark color..this year i've decided to learn to drink Guiness. Last night I started with a black and tan and slowly I'll add more guiness to the black and tans. My husband loves Guiness, my favorite is the Blu Moon..time to step it up!!
Everyone have a safe St Pattys day.

30 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11454
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/15 16:47:59 (permalink)
    We in the far north do not follow a bunch of guys running around in shorts and muscle shirts. We're into football and the Iditarod. Now there's a sport for ya, stand on a sled behind a team of dogs in -50F temps for 1,100 miles.

As for St. Paddy's day, it's corned beef and cabbage all the way. Don't forget, before I moved to the Frozen Tundra I used to live in South Boston!!
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/15 17:06:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nemis

Being a buckeye we are going to watch the game on Friday with Guiness, Sausage , onions and peppers.
    Sorry , passed on the corned beef and cabbage...but i'll fry up some green peppers for that St pattys day spirit
    When ever i see Guiness it looks SOOO good with all the creamy froth and rich dark color..this year i've decided to learn to drink Guiness. Last night I started with a black and tan and slowly I'll add more guiness to the black and tans. My husband loves Guiness, my favorite is the Blu Moon..time to step it up!!

Nemis, what do you mean by blu moon, a search came back to adding citron vodka and also a coor's brand.

My local brewpub makes a great "Black & Blue" which is Guiness and Blueberry Ale they brew.
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/15 17:45:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

We in the far north do not follow a bunch of guys running around in shorts and muscle shirts. We're into football and the Iditarod. Now there's a sport for ya, stand on a sled behind a team of dogs in -50F temps for 1,100 miles.

As for St. Paddy's day, it's corned beef and cabbage all the way. Don't forget, before I moved to the Frozen Tundra I used to live in South Boston!!
    College basketball is not a bunch of guys "just" running around in shorts and muscle shirts.The college kids are fast-paced and very exciting to watch.Iditarod???Oh come on! lol.Do you take the week off for this?Real exciting "sport".
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5590
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/15 18:04:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

We in the far north do not follow a bunch of guys running around in shorts and muscle shirts.

That doesn't explain why one of the earliest and most popular college basketball tournaments is the Great Alaska Shootout, hosted by the University of Alaska located in...wait for it...you know the answer...it's...held...in...Anchorage!
    hmmmmmmm...

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/15 18:05:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevencarry

quote:

Nemis, what do you mean by blu moon, a search came back to adding citron vodka and also a coor's brand.

My local brewpub makes a great "Black & Blue" which is Guiness and Blueberry Ale they brew.

A Blue Moon is a belgian (style) white beer. Made by Coors. But don't let the Coors part fool you. It's a good beer.
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 10:32:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
    Originally posted by stevencarry

quote:

A Blue Moon is a belgian (style) white beer. Made by Coors. But don't let the Coors part fool you. It's a good beer.

Exactly correct, if my husband sees a guy drinking Blu Moon he says "That person needs his "man" card taken away.
    "Whatever" I shrug...i really like the stuff
    csacks
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 11:12:02 (permalink)
    I'm glad to see some fellow Blue Moon fans. Always best when served with an orange slice.

Guiness is is a majorly stout beer. I think that they should sell it by the can. Every so often I get a craving for it, but I really don't want a six pack of Guiness setting around. Guiness is just to much, except for the hard cores.

We are going to be doing corn beef and cabbage for some friends Friday. I am going to try one of the corned beefs cooked with the beer as is suggested in another thread. CraiG
    Poopy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 11:24:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by csacks

I'm glad to see some fellow Blue Moon fans. Always best when served with an orange slice.

Guiness is is a majorly stout beer. I think that they should sell it by the can. Every so often I get a craving for it, but I really don't want a six pack of Guiness setting around. Guiness is just to much, except for the hard cores.

We are going to be doing corn beef and cabbage for some friends Friday. I am going to try one of the corned beefs cooked with the beer as is suggested in another thread. CraiG

I go one farther than the orange slice in the Blue Moon. I add a litte orange juice. It's very, very tasty.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 13:38:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poopy

quote:
    Originally posted by csacks

I go one farther than the orange slice in the Blue Moon. I add a litte orange juice. It's very, very tasty.

Let's not ruin beer with healthy juice, ok?

Also, Let's put the record straight. Guiness is not as heavy as every one makes it out to be. Sure, it's a stout, but it's not as heavy as some other stouts, or even some other so called "medium bodied" beers.
    And, did you know Guiness has 210 calories per pint? which translates to 157.5 calories per 12oz.

compare to other "premium" beers per 12oz:
    Anchor Steam: 153
    Anchor Porter: 209
    Blue Moon: 171
    Killian's Irish Red: 163
    Lowenbrau: 160
    Pete's Wicked: 174
    Red Hook IPA: 188
    Sam Adams Lager: 160
    Sam Adams Ale: 160
    Sam Adams IPA: 175
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: 200
    Yeungling Ale: 145

Something to think of when you decide to get something other than Guiness tomorrow.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 13:45:25 (permalink)
    Let's keep to the topic at hand...Menu's during the NCAA-Tourney. I think CROW will be on the menu for several folks !!! We'll just see where KFC (Kentucky Fried CROW) winds up being served! I believe this is not Kentucky's year, but I have seen some great upsets over the years during this tourney.
    Anyone remember the year Indiana under Bobby Knight was very highly rated before the tourney, and Richmond (the Spiders) knocked them out of it in the first round! That's the kind of surprises that make watching this series a fun thing to do.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1361
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 14:06:28 (permalink)
    A famaily tradition: We will make a huge pot of spaghetti sauce and eat it all week. Just boil the spaghetti, make a salad, and nobody misses a play.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 16:55:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Let's keep to the topic at hand...Menu's during the NCAA-Tourney. I think CROW will be on the menu for several folks !!! We'll just see where KFC (Kentucky Fried CROW) winds up being served! I believe this is not Kentucky's year, but I have seen some great upsets over the years during this tourney.
    Anyone remember the year Indiana under Booby Knight was very highly rated before the tourney, and Richmond (the Spiders) knocked them out of it in the first round! That's the kind of surprises that make watching this series a fun thing to do.

I rememebr the Richmond Spiders knocking out Syracuse in a first round too. And that was back in the day when the Spider played in the Colonial Athletic League. Now, they're A-10, in large part due to the notariety they got from those 2 big wins.

And Al...beer IS a menu item for March Madness, so it can hardly be "off topic." In fact, I may be having beer sandwiches for dinner tonight, since I'm off work tomorrow. (not too many though )

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 17:21:01 (permalink)
    Scorereader, I'll yield on the brew!!!
    Looks like maybe an upset in the works. Tennessee vs Winthop 4 seconds to go and a tie game..... The Volunteers pulled it off at the last second Sundancer called to point out how Tennessee is looking better right now. I love this tourney!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 18:05:28 (permalink)
    quote:

jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 18:22:20 (permalink)
    quote:

Looks like maybe an upset in the works. Tennessee vs Winthop 4 seconds to go and a tie game..... The Volunteers pulled it off at the last second Sundancer called to point out how Tennessee is looking better right now. I love this tourney!
    I thought both teams looked pretty horrible today.Still fun to watch!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13822
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 18:32:26 (permalink)
    Being a native Tennessean and living just downstream from the stadium and graduating from UT, guess who is celebrating tonight???

At least I will not be eating crow tonight. Maybe Saturday

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 18:40:34 (permalink)
    Now will I U hold up against San Diego St. out in Salt Lake tonight. Noon to midnight BBall saves thje batteries on the remote for a few days! At least I am not stuck with fake reality TV or 6 hours of LAW and ORDER Reruns!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/16 18:44:30 (permalink)
    If I did not know better, I would think "The Mayor" likes basketball.

As I recall, he was glued to the tube last year.

March madness is sure fun.

I got a beef stew on this evening and some Tennessee fried cornbread for the evening myself.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 996
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/17 01:33:37 (permalink)
    I like Blue Moon ...
    like Hoegaarden better :-) similar in that it's a Belgian white but more intense and more spice.

I love dark beer. Guiness is a staple.
    For the past few years though my fav's have been Sprecher Black Bavarian which is a Kulmbacher style beer; very heavy, very malty and chocolate and semi-sweet.

A dark alt similar to Kulmbacher is August Schell Schmaltz Alt ... just a bit less heavy than the Sprecher but a very similar taste, chocolate and a hint of licorice and very dark.

Both are American beers (August Schell has been around since the mid 1800's)

On Patty's I avoid the bars like the bird-flu.
    I'll be at someoneorothers house with some Sprecher Black Bavarian and something to sip on.

Food - Corned beef with LOTS of Coleman's Mustard!!

sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/19 13:02:17 (permalink)
    I have a sure winner for next years March Madness Bracket Picks,,,,,,

step 1........ ask Sundancer and AL the Mayor what there picks are and then pick the opposite teams......( even if that opposite team is Wichita St.)

step 2 ....... do not pick any team that is within a one day driving range or the Moonlite Bar-B-Q

step 3 .........always pick a team that that has a devil or a dog as a mascot.

step 4 ........... Pick a team whose players wear the longest and baggiest pants and who's cornrows spell out a vulgarity.

step 5 ........... pick a team whose combined tattoo count is in excess of 754

step 6 ..... never pick with your heart ...keep your dukes up and a husky attitude.

It will be like money in the bank............
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/19 13:12:20 (permalink)
    Fpczyz: The lady VOLS are not out of it yet.

I bought a large container of Louis's spaghetti sauce which I consider the best I have ever had. It is located on Broadway in Knoxville

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/19 13:24:53 (permalink)
    OK Frank Ambushed me this morning to get my input so he could ignore it.
    After a dinner or two of Crow in various forms, here's What's left of my heart saying that Memphis will meet the Ohio State Buckeyes in the final, and as much as I prefer Big 10 teams, the nearness of the OSU team to Michael Hoffman makes it impossible for me to cheer them on... so Memphis (the arch-rival of Louisville for generations) will be the upset winner .

Now to start the water to boil for the next Crow Dish ! Hmmmm Beer-Battered Crow, maybe that should be on CHUBBY'S menu too!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22601
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/19 15:30:51 (permalink)
    Oh, Al, did those itty-bitty Zags upset you by sending Mike Davis off into oblivion? I'm sorry. But, I really don't have time to talk. I have to get into my Brutus Buckeye outfit to watch the Ohio State-Georgetown game, and that head takes a long time to put on.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/19 15:33:14 (permalink)
    quote:

I always thought a blue moon was something you got in Alaska when someone dropped his pants at an outdoor basketball game.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/19 15:46:43 (permalink)
    quote:

Now to start the water to boil for the next Crow Dish ! Hmmmm Beer-Battered Crow, maybe that should be on CHUBBY'S menu too!

If you need it I happen to have an excellent recipe for crow. It's from a fish and game cookbook by Frances MacIlquham. I'll have to wait, though, till after the OSU game to post it.
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/19 15:58:20 (permalink)
    Most everybody within 150 mile radius of me seem to crave Pulled Pork, Beef Briskit,Baby Backs,Smoked Chicken and so forth during March Madness.

After that, it's Spring Fever
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/19 19:12:52 (permalink)
    I guess I'll have to have some of Al's crow. The Bucks lost, big-time. But, the OSU women play tonight.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/19 19:20:19 (permalink)
    I got to eat some crow also. The men VOLS lost in the second round but the Lady VOLS rocked today beating Army 102-54. Candace Parker dunked twice during the game as a red shirt first year.

I did enjoy a great spaghetti game lunch with cole slaw sans crow

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/ncaa/women/specials/ncaa_tourney/2006/03/19/bc.bkw.ncaa.army.tennessee.ap/index.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3467
    RE: What's for dinner during March madness?? 2006/03/19 19:45:25 (permalink)
    Crow on the menu here too!
    I've never ever picked so many early round losers!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5