What's good in Austin, TX

Author
nodreffahs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2004/02/18 21:25:44 (permalink)

What's good in Austin, TX

I'll be in Austin Texas in a couple weeks. What's good (and reasonable) in or near downtown?

14 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/18 22:40:39 (permalink)
    Threadgill's -- best country fried steak (and live music -- not the first time you've heard THAT combination???); near downtown. There is also a pretty happening downtown area -- with lots of live music and great food.

Steve
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1757
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/19 02:44:24 (permalink)
    I second Threadgill's. Their chicken fried steak is a good one, but they really shine with their 20 some vegtables. You can order just veggie plates. You'll want the location on Riverside. For funky check out Congress Avenue south of downtown. Day or night. Great mexican at Gueros on S. Congress.

Austin has been discussed a lot here. Use the search function in upper right corner and you will hit on lots of threads to read with more suggestions than you can handle.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/19 03:18:48 (permalink)
    Great Texas barbecue abounds in towns just a short drive from Austin (Lockhart, Llano, Round Rock), but I don't know what excells in Austin proper. Perhaps some Texas member knows of a first rate Texas barbeque pit within the city limits. The very popular Salt Lick barbecue palace is just a short distance west of town. If I wanted Texas barbecued brisket and such bad enough, I'd find a ride or taxi out to Salt Lick. Of course, I'm one who will walk a country mile for good barbeque anytime, anywhere.

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/19 08:39:33 (permalink)
    In or near downtown:

For chicken-fried steak, Threadgill's is OK, but travel further down south Congress to Hill's Cafe, and it's much better.

For BBQ, John's on Manor road (just east of I-35) or Sam's on east 12th street.

For burgers, Hill's Cafe also has a killer one. East on Barton Springs Road, there's a place named Shady Grove that has a good burger.

For mexican, a second on Guero's. There's also Las Manitas on Congress just north of the river, or Jaime's Spanish Village on Red River.

If you'd like any further details and/or suggestions on specific things, you're welcome to email me. Have fun!
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/19 09:51:20 (permalink)
    Martin's Kum-Bak Hamburgers
    Address:ÊÊ 2808 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX 78705
    Phone: (512) 478-0413
    for greasy burgers is, I think, a "must do". Big UT hang out.

Dry Creek Cafe on Mt. Bonel Rd., while not for food, is a good place to have a beer and watch the sun set over the lake from a ram shackle deck. Just bring your empties back downstairs!
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/19 10:36:25 (permalink)
    If I were back in Austin, I would definitely make a stop at Amy's Ice Cream. They do the mix-in thing, and their ice cream is dense and creamy and WONDERFUL. There's one on South Congress, one on Guadalupe, and others.

If you can get out of the downtown area, go west on Sixth Street to Lake Austin Blvd. and head for Mozart's. It's a lovely place to sit out on the water while eating some delicious baked goods.

On South Congress (not too far south of the river) you might try El Sol Y La Luna. Can't remember what I had, just remember I loved it. http://elsolylaluna.citysearch.com/

For vegetarian food: Mother's Cafe on Duval

Tex Mex: Trudy's Texas Star, on West 30th near Guadalupe

A trip to Austin, lucky you!
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/19 14:25:48 (permalink)
    Hoover's, on Manor Road just east of I-35 is reviewed on this site and has wonderfull comfort food. It's definately worth a stop.
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/19 14:48:26 (permalink)
    Ah, Austin...I miss that place for a lot of reasons and great inexpensive food of all kinds is one. I agree with all of the recommendations so far. I also really liked La Reyna on S. 1st. For Texican breakfast food; huevos rancheros, migas, breakfast tacos, sometimes sopapilla's. The place is just a small coffee shop, but I'd rather have breakfast there than just about anywhere. Enjoy!
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/19 20:46:46 (permalink)
    Romeo’s on Barton Springs Road has a great Chicken Caesar Salad Pizza, but maybe just for lunch on weekdays. Not sure.
    The last two times at Threadgill’s convinced me to never go back again.
    Rudy’s on 183 has some of the best BBQ ribs I have ever had. Brisket is good, too.
    I’ve never been impressed with Chuy’s, either.
    Jim mentioned Hoover’s. Never been there, but IMHO, the 290 Café is better than Threadgill’s any day!
    If you’re on Duvall somewhere around 44th, and if you like vegetarian, try Mother’s Café. My nephew is a chef there.
    acoustic blues
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/24 17:01:25 (permalink)
    For some of the best Tex-Mex you'll ever have, try Chueys right off Research Blvd (183) north of town. Be prepared for a looong wait. If you can find it go to the original Chueys east on Braker I believe. No waiting. Try their 'Elvis Chicken' made with New Mexican Hatch green chilies. To die for.
    AB
    kjolly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/25 22:16:54 (permalink)
    Los Comales - East seventh about a mile E of IH35
    Great Norteno food -homemade corn tortillas, great grilled meats, excellent pork in green sauce, excellent caldo. Try the Enchiladas Jajaquenas - pork in chile verde enchiladas

Ararrat - 53rd/North Loop - 4 miles N of downtown out in the middle of a neighborhood. Exceptional middle eastern - place looks like it's abandoned - but great food, great atmosphere - baba ganoush, hummus, shish, all excellent - try the mountain tea with rosewater - and save room for pistachio stuffed figs with a little pomegranite syrup. Probably need a reservation if you want to get in after 7:00 most nights.

Sunflower - 183 at Ohlen next to the Target - Great Vietnamese - bun, pho, five spice chicken.

Tam Deli - Lamar north of 183, Vietnames deli. Try one of the BBQ pork sandwiches - hard french roll with grilled pork, cucumbers, pickled carrots, fish sauce. Incredible - and like $2.50 - best deal in town for lunch. All kinds of vietnamese treats.

Mueller's - 26th near Manor Rd - just a couple of blocks from the university - BBQ - this is John Muller, grandson of Louis Mueller in Taylor. Excellent BBQ - great homemade sausage, brikest is always reliable - lunch specials every day - prime rib, T_bones, huge pork chops, ribs, turkey, pork loin - hard to go wrong - served up on a piece of butcher paper.

Kriagel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2004/02/29 12:47:56 (permalink)
    Try the Cafe in Central Market (I know it's in a grocery store, but it has good food) the prices are reasonable and it has a nice patio. It's on Lamar up around 45th street in Central Park.

I also like the Schlotzky's (sp?) on Lamar at Riverside. It's more than a regular Schlotzky's in that it has a really nice bakery (Bread Alone)and a good coffee shop for espresso drinks. It is very reasonable for lunch or dinner and they serve beer and wine. It also has a nice patio (one for smokers and one for non smokers and then another balcony upstairs)

scrumptiouschef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2705
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2019/09/02 13:34:59 (permalink)
    15 years is a long time in the restaurant world. I reckon that's why so many of these recommended places have shuttered since the original post.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7328
    RE: What's good in Austin, TX 2019/09/02 15:27:05 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef
    15 years is a long time in the restaurant world. I reckon that's why so many of these recommended places have shuttered since the original post.

And some have expanded and thrived:

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5