What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign?

Author
djdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 439
2013/07/14 16:35:28 (permalink)

What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign?

I have a new location that I'll be starting in a little over a week.  Along with canvassing local businesses with menus, punch cards, etc I also need to buy or make 5 sidewalk sandwich board signs. Not the kind that a guy wears but the kind that sit on the sidewalk.

I'm trying to do this in the most economical way possible.  These are the options that I've come up with so far.

Buy the whole thing from a sign place but this is the most expensive way to go.  The plastic A frame itself is quite expensive and I need five of them.  I realize these would probably last the longest but I just can't afford it right now.   

Make the A frame myself out of wood, paint it, hinges, etc and have the sign place or even Officemax, etc make the sign insert and I glue it on the homemade A frame.  Still expensive.  I even inquired about having an office place print out a large poster and laminate it but even after 5 of those, it was well over $100 for just the laminated signs not counting the A frames I would make.

Another option is I make the A frames and I buy vinyl lettering from Michael's or a similar craft store.  I'm betting I could cover the finished project with some type of protective clear coat to protect it.  (after painting the wood with gloss white paint of course)  However, after pricing the packets of vinyl lettering (at $20 a packet!!!)  and realizing I would need 7-8 of them to do 5 signs I realized THAT wasn't going to happen.

My final idea is to make the A frames myself, paint them, attach hinges, etc and stencil/paint the words on the signs.  Of course I would need only 1 packet of stencil letters but it's not quite as professional looking as I would like.  However these signs will be on two ends of a busy highway so I just want visibility.

Any other ways that people have made these signs? 

Thanks!

9 Replies Related Threads

jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 765
    Re:What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign? 2013/07/14 17:18:55 (permalink)
    Make the basic sign yourself and find an Art Student to do the lettering. Pay 'em with food.
    mikejames533
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re:What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign? 2013/07/14 17:39:04 (permalink)
    You could make an A frame or buy plastic saw horses. Harbor freight has some at a reasonable price. Could also look into getting small banners made for your signs. Places like banners on the cheap and others run specials on banners all the time.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 339
    Re:What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign? 2013/07/14 18:26:21 (permalink)
    Just get one or two signs Kevin and try a week or two and you'll have a better idea of what to do. Suppose you only sell two dogs a day for two weeks?

I got one of the best large a frames from eSigns.com. Great people and reasonable.
    They also have templets and you can move stuff around and make it to you liking. I got one with a hot dog on it with white, red, black lettering etc. It's very colorful. It's a yard sign of corrugated vinyl that I Velcro to my cart.
    You can see it here:
    https://www.facebook.com/boo.hargis Be sure and scroll to the top of the page or you won't see it.
    post edited by brickboo - 2013/07/14 18:27:39
    top^dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re:What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign? 2013/07/14 19:27:20 (permalink)
    What ever you decide factor in any severe wind you may get...you dont want a lawsuit if a sign folds uo on you in wind....it is a problem around here
    RocketRedHots
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign? 2013/07/14 20:13:52 (permalink)
    The biggest "on the cheap" sandwich sign frames are 1/2 or 3/4 inch PVC pipe. Hinge them with zip ties and use nylon cord as the stops on the bottom. You can get corrugated plastic panels at most craft stores. Use large tip permanent markers or as suggested, find a student to do the signs for you. Use sand bags or concrete blocks to secure them. I've done these for various occasions for years.

Hope this helps or at least turns on a new light bulb in the old attic.

Chris
    sillydogz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign? 2013/07/14 20:47:46 (permalink)
    djdawg, i'll message you on fb in a minute.
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign? 2013/07/14 21:10:36 (permalink)
    Great suggestions everyone...I'm convinced that simple outdoor plywood or mdf (is that right?)  will be the cheapest way to go to build the A frame itself.  I can make all 5 out of 2 sheets of 4'x8'plywood which is pretty cheap.  The pvc pipe is a great idea but will be more expensive by the time I add in all the other extras.

To go into more detail, the spot I'm looking at is along a busy hwy.  I'm at a major stoplight/intersection in a parking lot with TONS of parking and it has high visibility.   I need to make the message crystal clear as cars are whizzing by at 45 mph...I love the idea of the graphic of a hot dog but it would cost $ to make that happen and to have it look good.  I'm thinking using a stencil - laying it down and painting each sign - is the cheapest way to go.  Here is the message I've come up with so far and any suggestions on how to say it better is great.

HOT DOGS
                                      SAUSAGES
                                         AHEAD
                                       ON RIGHT

or left...depending on which sign I'm doing. 
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign? 2013/07/14 22:11:47 (permalink)
    I just realized that maybe I could use a stencil of a hot dog....I've googled like crazy to find one but am coming up empty.  If anyone has a digital stencil of a hot dog, I'd be grateful!
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 339
    Re:What's the cheapest way to make a sidewalk sandwich board sign? 2013/07/15 00:55:41 (permalink)
    Many sidewalk signs including mine says 

$5
               2 Hot Dogs
                  Chips
                   Soda
        Ahead on the right
    Jump to:
    © 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5