When did Vernor's Ginger Ale become Vernor's Ginger Soda?

Author
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 246
2014/07/14 07:58:35 (permalink)

When did Vernor's Ginger Ale become Vernor's Ginger Soda?

I have lived here in New England for many years but I grew up in Michigan so Vernors was something that I grew up with. I have no relatives in Michigan so have not been there in many years so Vernors was kind of off my radar screen.

I was elated yesterday to see Vernors for sale locally for the first time at the Price Chopper in Marlborough, Mass.  So I picked up a case of 12 cans.

One thing that shocked me though - we all know that Vernors is a "ginger ale"...however these cans do not have the words "ginger ale"...they say "Vernors, the original ginger soda".

To me this is sacrilegious...when did Vernors Ginger Ale become Vernors Ginger Soda?  Is there some story behind this?

2 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11582
    Re: When did Vernor's Ginger Ale become Vernor's Ginger Soda? 2014/07/15 06:13:36 (permalink)
    Maybe these guys changed it.
    "Today, the Vernors brand is property of the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group of Plano, TX"
    These guys are probably responsible for the wider distribution of the product.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10746
    Re: When did Vernor's Ginger Ale become Vernor's Ginger Soda? 2014/07/15 11:13:52 (permalink)
    Sort of similar thing happened to Barq's many years back.

It always tasted like root beer, but slightly different.  There was never any mention of root beer on the labeling. 

Then it became Barq's Root Beer.  Now it tastes like root beer.

Vernor's used to choke me as a kid just getting close to the bottle or can.  Now it's whimpy,  Whimpy but still good.
    Jump to:
    © 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5