Where do I get a giant mesh colander?

Author
oflife
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2017/03/22 16:34:47 (permalink)

Where do I get a giant mesh colander?

Hey guys,

I'm totally a leech on this site, I apologize for that, but people were extremely helpful when I posted a question here last time so here I am again.

I need a 21 inch diameter mesh colander for my restaurant, but I cannot find one anywhere.  Even when I went to a giant kitchen supply store they told me they have to custom order it, and even then, the biggest one was 19 inches.  I would almost doubt that 20 inch+ colanders exist if it weren't for the fact that we still have our old one, and it is indeed 21 inches.  

I've gone through countless google pages as well as 3 kitchen supply stores, no one can help me.  Most people don't believe me when I tell them the old one was 21", but I promise it's real.  

On another note, I'm not even sure if mesh colander is the right terminology so maybe that was my problem.  I was originally searching for "strainers" but those all seem to result in the fine mesh kind with a handle, which is not what I am looking for.  Any ideas are greatly appreciated.    

7 Replies Related Threads

Root-Beer Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    Re: Where do I get a giant mesh colander? 2017/03/22 16:55:02 (permalink)
    Are you looking for a colander or a chinois strainer? There are some big chinois available, but I don' recall ever seeing one 20" in diameter, (although I did see one from Vollrath in looking around that measures 9-3/4x10x20. Most food service colanders I've used weren't mesh, they were holed aluminum or steel. What are you planning to strain, for the most part?
    oflife
    Junior Burger
    Re: Where do I get a giant mesh colander? 2017/03/22 17:03:24 (permalink)
    Wow thanks for such a quick reply.  I'm looking for a mesh colander, I had to look up what a chinois strainer was, we use those as well, but it's not what I am looking for at this time.  

I'm basically looking for a giant version of a household mesh colander, the kind people use to make like noodles.  We use it at the restaurant to soak/clean large quantities of mushrooms.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11257
    Re: Where do I get a giant mesh colander? 2017/03/22 17:12:21 (permalink)
    I never heard of a "mesh" colander.  Are you sure you're not looking for a large, heavy duty aluminum colander? 
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    Re: Where do I get a giant mesh colander? 2017/03/22 17:19:45 (permalink)
    I know kinda what you're talking about, I've had some small ones in my own kitchen in the past. Usually in restaurants though, we used colanders like this 21 QT one. It would certainly do the job you want. And is the standard in most restaurants.
    oflife
    Junior Burger
    Re: Where do I get a giant mesh colander? 2017/03/22 17:56:14 (permalink)
    Hmm, it seems the guy at the store was correct in his disbelief about my 21" mesh colander.  I have tried looking at the aluminum ones, my only concern is that the big ones seem to have a considerable height to them.

The operation where we use it goes something like this: We boil the mushrooms, and then strain them in the colander. Then we take the colander and submerge it in a giant bowl of water, and let it soak.  We change the water every once in a while.  The bowl we use is rather shallow, maybe like 4 inches deep in the middle.  I feel like it is too small to fully submerge an aluminum colander in, hence my hesitation.  

I know I can just buy a bowl to fit the colander, but I was hoping to just be able to replace our old mesh one.   I think I will start considering using the aluminum ones though, as this thread has taught me that this 21" mesh colander may in fact not exist anymore.  Thank you guys for your help.  
    Blakkmoon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re: Where do I get a giant mesh colander? 2017/03/25 22:53:39 (permalink)
    RodBangkok
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 519
    Re: Where do I get a giant mesh colander? 2017/03/26 01:04:48 (permalink)
    Google stainless mesh basket, we make our own for custom commercial kitchen equipment, the material is not hard to find, you might be able to find someone online in the states that will custom make to your size, not difficult to make them.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5