Where to eat? Western Mass.

Author
Flying_A
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/02/27 19:29:21 (permalink)

Where to eat? Western Mass.

I'll be back in the area I grew up in for a week in May. Looking for good roadfood (or at least good atmosphere) in the Pioneer Valley along route 5 (I think there is an interstate nearby.) I'm willing to travel for the right restaurant...

7 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4750
    RE: Where to eat? Western Mass. 2005/02/27 22:17:31 (permalink)
    You've asked the right guy ...

Northampton: Joe's Pizza (thin crust) ... Pinnochio's Pizza (If you need to eat pizza during the day, Joe's opens at 4) ... Paul & Elizabeth's (for nice, healthy food) ... Iron Horse (for food and great music) ... Del Raye (best white tablecloth place in the US, in my opinion, eat at the bar, hopefully Pam is working, try a VEP, not unaffordable) ... Jake's (my favorite breakfast) ... Herrell's (if you are in the mood for ice cream) ...

Amherst: Irish place in North Amherst (I forget the name, but there is only one) ...

Holyoke: Nick's Nest (for hot dogs ... look them up here) ...

West Springfield: White Hut (burgers ... look them up here) ...

How's that for starters?

Where did you grow up?

Flying_A
    Junior Burger
    RE: Where to eat? Western Mass. 2005/03/01 00:14:12 (permalink)
    Wow, I sure DID ask the right guy. Thank you very much.

I grew up in Northampton on the banks of Paradise Pond, but haven't been back for longer than a couple of hours at a time in 30 years.

None of the names listed ring a bell with me which isn't surprising after that long of an absense in a college town.

I, too, hope that Pam will be working when I get to Del Raye, so I can discretely pull her aside and ask her "what the heck is a VEP?". That way I won't have to embarrass myself on this board with my ignorance.
    kozel
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1180
    RE: Where to eat? Western Mass. 2005/03/01 07:25:09 (permalink)
    If you go to Gregg's web site, you'll find the info on VEP and a wealth of other tips and information.

http://208.56.175.207/wheregreggeats/index.html
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2690
    RE: Where to eat? Western Mass. 2005/03/01 09:43:43 (permalink)
    If I could remember, I would add the name of that little Mexican place, down an alley in downtown Amherst. It is very popular, so you could just go and ask directions. Maybe somebody can help with the name. If you are out there during the school year, my daughter is a big fan of "Earth Foods", a cheap, cheap, student run vegetarian place on the campus at UMass Amherst.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4750
    RE: Where to eat? Western Mass. 2005/03/01 10:14:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

If I could remember, I would add the name of that little Mexican place, down an alley in downtown Amherst. It is very popular, so you could just go and ask directions. Maybe somebody can help with the name. If you are out there during the school year, my daughter is a big fan of "Earth Foods", a cheap, cheap, student run vegetarian place on the campus at UMass Amherst.

I think the place down the alley was Taco Villa -- not there anymore.

I always like the Pub in Amherst. It never changes -- good, solid pub food (it is the kind of place the chains try to emulate.) It would be a great place for a family lunch (or brunch.)
    http://www.thepubamherst.com/

Where are you staying?
    Flying_A
    Junior Burger
    RE: Where to eat? Western Mass. 2005/03/02 22:42:52 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about any good restaurant closing, but I'm not sure I was ready for Mass-Mex anyways... I've lived in Northern Calif for the 33 years since I left N'hampton, and truck all over the west and southwest... I've even driven all the way down to the Guatemala border.

As for where I'm staying- I'm not sure yet... I'm more inclined towards the Autumn Inn or a B&B than the Hotel Northampton... but that is probably a topic for Roadsleeps.com (just kidding).
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2690
    RE: Where to eat? Western Mass. 2018/09/23 17:24:00 (permalink)
    I know that the original poster no longer needs this info, but I'll post here to keep info in the same place. On a trip to www.montaguebookmill.com we stopped at the highly regarded  www.riffsjoint.com . It was good but not worth the detour that we took to get there. The used bookstore is everything that it is famous for, but the restaurant downstairs is, IMO, over priced for what it is, unless you are paying for the great river view. We only had desert. We shared the "Salted Caramel Custard" (tasted like instant butterscotch pudding), served in a small jelly jar with real whipped cream ($10), and a "Blondie" with ice cream.............home made (from a Betty Crocker mix???) cooked in a round tin and served as a wedge like a pie slice. ($10). The service was professional, friendly, and helpful enough that we left a $10 tip. I think that they have a problem with people bringing their own food, and sitting on the deck, because there are signs asking you not to do it.   

post edited by tmiles - 2018/09/24 19:32:35
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5