AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..116117118119120 Showing page 120 of 120
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3191
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/05/22 10:42:07 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Something for former NYC residents and bagel fans alike to check out:

http://citybeat.com/cinci...ade_with_chutzpah.html

http://www.marxhotbagels.com/ finally has some competition!  Hope they get their bagels into Jungle Jim's also...thanks for the tip, TJ...
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4960
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/05/23 12:03:52 (permalink)
Recommended reading for any local roadfooder and to anyone interested in the regional cuisine around Cincinnati

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/dining/2016/05/23/guy-knows-a-lot-about-the-origin-of-cincinnati-food/84502934/

Personal aside: I occasionally helped make zwieback (mentioned in the piece) at the long-gone Shulz Pastry Ship in Cheviot/White Oak in my teens
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 287
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/06/09 10:25:28 (permalink)
Tiger Dumpling closed its Clifton location a few weeks ago (much to my dismay), but plans to reopen at The Banks.

http://www.wcpo.com/lifestyle/food/chinese-restaurant-tiger-dumpling-to-reopen-at-the-banks
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/06/13 11:31:41 (permalink)
Its weird to hear that they closed because they were too popular?

Or am I even reading that right?
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/06/19 20:44:27 (permalink)
The Hot Spot Pizza Bar & Grill is remodeling the old Steinhaus location on Dixie Highway in Florence.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Hot-Spot-554723011364475/timeline?ref=page_internal
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/06/24 07:38:02 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Its weird to hear that they closed because they were too popular?

Or am I even reading that right?

That's how I took it as well, so I have to assume that they expect even more foot traffic at The Banks. The Clifton location was geared almost exclusively towards carryout, as it sat a maximum of 8 very uncomfortably at two bar tables.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6726
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/06/24 08:19:14 (permalink)
What is/are "The Banks"?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/06/24 09:57:19 (permalink)
The Banks is more or less the area between the Reds stadium and the Bengals stadium which includes a park, a small hipster-ish entertainment zone, restaurants, some pricey apartments, and the Freedom Center
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/06/24 10:26:27 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
What is/are "The Banks"?

The Banks even have their own website.

http://thebankscincy.com/
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/06/30 09:57:33 (permalink)
One subtraction, one addition:

I read on Yelp that Rascal's Deli in Blue Ash has closed.  Really liked their knish. 

I saw what I thought was a Yellow Cab go by me today as I drove into work, but it was instead emblazoned with the logo "Two Cities Pizza".    Anyone heard anything about this?   http://www.twocitiespizza.com/  I am kinda desperate for a good deep dish pizza since Romeos left town, so I am hopeful that this will be good

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/06/30 12:48:12 (permalink)
More news: while Montgomery Inn will continue to make non-smoked ribs (and drown them in sauce), they are adding an actual smoked ribs item to the menu

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/dining/2016/06/29/montgomery-inn-now-smoking-ribs/86521888/

Exerpt:
There's a new menu item at Montgomery Inn, and it's a revolution for the popular Cincinnati restaurant. St. Louis-style smoked ribs are coming to the menu. Whereas the original Montgomery Inn ribs have been slow-roasted in an oven for the last 50 years, the new ribs will bypass the oven and be smoked over hickory wood.
Whereas the traditional ribs are baby back ribs, the new St. Louis-style are spare ribs, longer and bigger than the lean and more tender baby backs. But many consider them to be the richer and more flavorful cut. The new ribs won't be listed on the menu for a few more weeks, but you can ask for them now at any of the four Montgomery Inn locations in Montgomery, The Boathouse Downtown, Fort Mitchell and Dublin, near Columbus.
“We’ll never change the way we make our world-famous loin back ribs, but that doesn’t stop us from exploring new flavor profiles to expand our menu,” said Tom Gregory, son of founder Ted Gregory. His brother-in-law Evan Andrews said that the new ribs are especially good with the chipotle barbecue sauce, also a fairly new addition to the restaurant's lineup.

no word on whether or not these smoked ribs will be drowned in sauce or not
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 317
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/01 23:15:51 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
More news: while Montgomery Inn will continue to make non-smoked ribs (and drown them in sauce), they are adding an actual smoked ribs item to the menu

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/dining/2016/06/29/montgomery-inn-now-smoking-ribs/86521888/

I saw this. I'm now expecting the apocalypse. Cincinnati diners will soon be aghast at the harsh burnt flavor of real wood smoke.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 21354
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/02 11:46:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby donw9876 2016/07/02 20:18:16
I've always thought their ribs tasted as if they'd been slow roasted for 50 years.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 664
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/02 14:48:43 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
One subtraction, one addition:

I read on Yelp that Rascal's Deli in Blue Ash has closed.  Really liked their knish. 

I saw what I thought was a Yellow Cab go by me today as I drove into work, but it was instead emblazoned with the logo "Two Cities Pizza".    Anyone heard anything about this?   http://www.twocitiespizza.com/  I am kinda desperate for a good deep dish pizza since Romeos left town, so I am hopeful that this will be good

Haven't heard of them.

Have you tried this place yet, TJ? 

http://bourbonhousepizza.com/
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/02 22:20:54 (permalink)
Bonk:
I have been there a couple of times quite recently.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/03 14:57:29 (permalink)
And considering you're still looking for a good place, is it safe to assume the quality there is declining?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/03 18:31:02 (permalink)
It was not as good as I had hoped. 

It was also a little disappointing that this was stuffed pizza, not deep dish as they call it on the menu
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/04 14:47:38 (permalink)
Grill of India has opened in the former Amol India spot in Clifton, and may be affiliated with Swad in some way since the Swad truck was in the parking lot. (I am not sure if the parking feud with Ambar has been transferred to the new ownership.)

I was underwhelmed on multiple levels; the interior is still a work in progress (I hope), the entrees were noticeably sweeter than any version I have ever tried, and we were only provided with one bowl of rice for three people (although they did bring a second one at no charge when asked). Regular menu prices are in line with most other local Indian restaurants, although they have been posting specials (including a $3.99 weekday lunch buffet) on the nearby Nextdoor neighborhood sites almost daily. I doubt we'll be back since there are better options in the same area for the same price.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/04 16:16:12 (permalink)
I am sad to hear Amol is out of business - they were there forever and a day, and I definitely liked their food better than Ambar's

Someone on Yelp reported that Swad was under new ownership.  The original Dushmesh owners sold Dushmesh a few years ago and opened Swad.  I wonder if that same ownership sold Swad and now bought out Amol and are starting over for the third time?

3.99 sounds like a HECKUVA good price for a buffet lunch!
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2016/07/04 16:21:47
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/07 13:07:06 (permalink)
A few notes from the Florence area:

No big loss, but the Firebowl Grill (Houston Road in front of Sam's Club) has closed.

The Double Dragon Chinese restaurant (Commonwealth Ave. in front of SuperBowl) has new signage for Thai Chili, serving Thai food and sushi.
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/08 13:51:23 (permalink)
Saw this on WCPO's website.  Has anyone tried Roll On In: Sushi Burritos in Lebanon yet?

https://www.facebook.com/rollonin/

I can picture a Chipotle, a Piada Italian Street Food and a Roll On In location all in a row in some shopping center in the future

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/07/07/new-sushi-burrito-restaurant-already-planning.html
post edited by Ghaz - 2016/07/08 13:56:52
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6726
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/08 14:56:09 (permalink)
Ghaz
Saw this on WCPO's website.  Has anyone tried Roll On In: Sushi Burritos in Lebanon yet?

https://www.facebook.com/rollonin/

To think that I saw it on Mulberry Street.

As long as we're in the neighborhood, any thoughts on Double D's BBQ?  Looks like they moved to Lebanon from Corwin sometime after my visit last year.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/16 21:05:00 (permalink)
I visited the newly-opened Nine Giant "brewery and snackery" in Pleasant Ridge earlier this week, on Montgomery Road just south of Ridge (a block south of Everybody's Records and the former Dubliner). While the menu is very limited (fries, fried pickles, soft pretzels, falafel, a grilled cheese sandwich, a burger, a "sandwich of the week", and a cookie bar for dessert), it is very much appreciated considering the dearth of food options at most of the local breweries.

The burger was above average, but does not include any sides, which puts a burger, fries, and a beer at a hefty $21 before tip. The fries are large enough to share, but that doesn't equate to much of a savings for two people. All food orders are placed at the bar, which wasn't immediately obvious to me, as the layout is much more dining-oriented than most of the local breweries. The noise level was also much higher than expected considering the layout, but I gather from their Facebook page that they are gradually taking steps to address that. Finally, my beer of choice (a hoppy brown ale) was only average, but I look forward to trying the rest of their lineup. Guest taps outnumbered their own that night (only 3 of the 10 beers were Nine Giant, with the remainder being other local options like Rhinegeist and MadTree), but their Facebook page also mentions that opening week "devastated" their supply.

For cost reasons, I don't know that I would do dinner there again, but I fully plan on going back for drinks and snacks.

https://www.facebook.com/ninegiant
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/18 19:17:44 (permalink)
We were at Keystone in Clifton for dinner tonight (Mondays are always half price mac & cheese with the purchase of any beverage, and they are also participating in Burger Week), and I noticed that Bibibop Asian Grill is taking over the vacated Potbelly location across the street. Based on the web site, it appears to be a Korean-inspired "build your own" bowl/salad/wrap joint, similar to Chipotle. This will be the tenth location (eight in the Columbus area, one in Liberty Township). The menu options do not inspire confidence, but perhaps they will at least be adequate like Fusabowl.

http://bibibop.com
Euched
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/21 14:56:21 (permalink)
dlawson
We were at Keystone in Clifton for dinner tonight (Mondays are always half price mac & cheese with the purchase of any beverage, and they are also participating in Burger Week), and I noticed that Bibibop Asian Grill is taking over the vacated Potbelly location across the street. Based on the web site, it appears to be a Korean-inspired "build your own" bowl/salad/wrap joint, similar to Chipotle. This will be the tenth location (eight in the Columbus area, one in Liberty Township). The menu options do not inspire confidence, but perhaps they will at least be adequate like Fusabowl.

http://bibibop.com

This place also has a location in Liberty Twp. and I was far from impressed when I visited. I guess I went into it thinking that the food would have Korean flavors and that couldn't have been further from reality. The most Korean thing that they had was the Kimchi that they were out of when I went there. They do have a couple different types of rice which I have only seen at one other Asian restaurant in Cincinnati but everything else on their menu was much more bland than I hoped that it would be. I think that some types of food probably shouldn't be turned into fast-casual and this is one of them. My favorite Korean restaurants in the area are Riverside Korean in Newport, Sura in Deerfield Twp, and Asiana Korean Restaurant in West Chester.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/21 16:29:26 (permalink)
*whispers to Euched* : Riverside is in Covington
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1256
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/21 19:10:03 (permalink)
dlawson

The burger was above average, but does not include any sides, which puts a burger, fries, and a beer at a hefty $21 before tip.

https://www.facebook.com/ninegiant

When I was a teenager, I used to hang out at the Mt, Airy Diner, in Philly.  A hamburger was 25 cents and a cheeseburger was 35 cents.  Fries were 10 cents.  coffee was 10 cents w/free refills.  Those were the days.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/23 12:48:23 (permalink)
Euched
This place also has a location in Liberty Twp. and I was far from impressed when I visited. I guess I went into it thinking that the food would have Korean flavors and that couldn't have been further from reality. The most Korean thing that they had was the Kimchi that they were out of when I went there. They do have a couple different types of rice which I have only seen at one other Asian restaurant in Cincinnati but everything else on their menu was much more bland than I hoped that it would be. I think that some types of food probably shouldn't be turned into fast-casual and this is one of them.

I later asked my much younger brother for his opinion on the place, since he lives in Columbus. His one-word review is "Vomit."

On a separate note, I noticed that the Freddy's along Winton Road (north of Cross County in Springfield Township, where the old PNC Bank used to be) is now open. I was not familiar with the franchise, but it appears to be along the lines of Culver's, with burgers and frozen custard. According to a recent Enquirer article, they are planning another location along Springdale Road at Colerain. That same article mentions the new Tim Hortons coming to Colerain where the Pizza Hut used to be, along with plans for "more than 150 Tim Hortons restaurants in the Cincinnati area over the next 10 years".

http://www.cincinnati.com...ing-colerain/87436884/
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/23 19:03:54 (permalink)
They better hurry ad start building those Tim Hortons.  It's been almost a year since they made that announcement!

http://www.qsrweb.com/news/tim-hortons-planning-150-units-throughout-cincinnati-area/

With Tim Hortons being a subsidiary of Burger King, you may see some underperforming locations changed to Tim Hortons.
post edited by Ghaz - 2016/07/23 19:12:50
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/07/24 15:05:11 (permalink)
dlawson
Euched
This place also has a location in Liberty Twp. and I was far from impressed when I visited. I guess I went into it thinking that the food would have Korean flavors and that couldn't have been further from reality. The most Korean thing that they had was the Kimchi that they were out of when I went there. They do have a couple different types of rice which I have only seen at one other Asian restaurant in Cincinnati but everything else on their menu was much more bland than I hoped that it would be. I think that some types of food probably shouldn't be turned into fast-casual and this is one of them.

I later asked my much younger brother for his opinion on the place, since he lives in Columbus. His one-word review is "Vomit."

On a separate note, I noticed that the Freddy's along Winton Road (north of Cross County in Springfield Township, where the old PNC Bank used to be) is now open. I was not familiar with the franchise, but it appears to be along the lines of Culver's, with burgers and frozen custard. According to a recent Enquirer article, they are planning another location along Springdale Road at Colerain. That same article mentions the new Tim Hortons coming to Colerain where the Pizza Hut used to be, along with plans for "more than 150 Tim Hortons restaurants in the Cincinnati area over the next 10 years".

http://www.cincinnati.com...ing-colerain/87436884/

In addition to the Freddy's in Amelia, there's also one open on Ohio 28 just east of I-275. 

We talked about this a couple of pages ago. I really like their dogs and fries, and after an OK burger just after the grand opening, the second burger I got was very good.

Yeah, it is similar to Culver's but with all-beef hot dogs.

I thought Culver's would take this area by storm, but they stopped at three franchises, so I'm happy to see a higher-end fast food place with that selection.
Page: << < ..116117118119120 Showing page 120 of 120
Jump to:
© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5