AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..121122123124 > Showing page 123 of 124
Author
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5219
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/23 14:32:57 (permalink)
I'll let others speak to Walts - the Colerain location has been in a long steady decline for a while, and I didn't even know they had a Hamilton! location

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 803
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/23 20:02:25 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Ghaz
Walt's BBQ in Hamilton or the Walt's BBQ on Colerain.

Is Walt's any good?  My path to Lebanon next summer could take me through Hamilton if it's worth a stop.

Hamilton! has better Roadfood options for sure. Chester's Pizza tops my list.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/24 12:46:37 (permalink)
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 301
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/25 15:16:58 (permalink)
Mellow Mushroom in Hyde Park (or is it Oakley?) has closed, not that it's much of a loss. We only went a couple of times, and the service was always questionable at best. The last straw for me was when our pizza arrived well before our appetizer one evening.

I tried Sidekix on Columbia Parkway (in the same plaza as Green Dog Cafe) on a whim out of necessity the other night, as I was helping someone move, and it was the only quick and open option between the two houses. I admit that I did not have high hopes for the "Asian inspired" sauces, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Hoisin Garlic. The biggest issue (with the wrap, anyway) was the amount of rice relative to everything else, even after adding quite a few other ingredients. I also found the entree prices a little on the high side relative to most bowl/wrap places. The sides are more attractively priced ($2 or less), but I can't speak to portion size or quality since I didn't order any. I definitely wouldn't go out of my way for it, but I would go back in a pinch and tell them to go easy on the rice.

http://www.sidekixasiangrill.com/
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/25 15:22:23 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
I'll let others speak to Walts - the Colerain location has been in a long steady decline for a while, and I didn't even know they had a Hamilton! location

I haven't been back to the Colerain location since I got a moldy bun a couple of years ago, and both the waitress and the kitchen basically shrugged it off. I was never a huge fan of the place, but there are no other barbecue options on Colerain, and the lunch special was priced right ($5 for a sandwich, side, and drink when I first started going about four years ago, $6 when I stopped).
Mrs. Bonk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/26 15:18:42 (permalink)
Bonk
So Red Sesame, which has a really good Korean BBQ food truck, is taking that spot I mentioned above at Jungle Jim's Eastgate. There's still a curtain in front of the shop but it looks/sounds like they're fairly close.

I wish them well and will definitely support them.

It finally opened a few days ago!  Bonk and I enjoyed one each of the pork, chicken and steak tacos for lunch today.  You can request an item be "spicy" but they have a nice spice just as they are (not too much but enough for me).  So glad this opened so close to our house.  I can definitely see this as a go to place for weekend lunch or on nights I don't feel like cooking.
Time for Pie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/26 15:35:40 (permalink)
Sad about Riley's.  I lived in Greenhills when the original Riley's opened in the shopping center there and it was always a reliable good meal.  After their move to Springdale, it became one of my mother's favorite restaurants and a place the whole family could go to when we all came back to town.  She was disappointed that it changed to more of a sports bar, but she never got to try it.

Are these "Walt's BBQ" locations in any way related to the Walt's Hitching Post that was in NKy for many years?
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/26 20:18:29 (permalink)
Time for Pie
Sad about Riley's.  I lived in Greenhills when the original Riley's opened in the shopping center there and it was always a reliable good meal.  After their move to Springdale, it became one of my mother's favorite restaurants and a place the whole family could go to when we all came back to town.  She was disappointed that it changed to more of a sports bar, but she never got to try it.

Are these "Walt's BBQ" locations in any way related to the Walt's Hitching Post that was in NKy for many years?

No.

Does anything decent ever survive in that Greenhills strip mall?
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1042
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/26 23:40:27 (permalink)
Hi to Mrs. Bonk!! Welcome aboard!!

I've heard great things about the Red Sesame food truck. I wish them well at Jungle Jims.

The people that took over Riley's own(ed?) Walt's BBQ on Colerain, and in Hamilton. The Colerain location has issues, and the parking lot seems empty every time I go by. I have heard great things about the Hamilton location of Walt's BBQ, though. 

The owners of Riley's in Springdale opened J. Austin's in Hamilton, then rebranded Riley's as J. Austin's.  My timeline may be off, but ....

I have eaten at both J. Austin's locations. The menus, and all the foods I have tried, were wonderful. The staff at both J. Austin's locations were excellent, as well.

No affiliation with Walt's Hitching Post.

I hope they are just trying to focus on great food, in one location (in the vast foodie wasteland of Hamilton). I wish them the best.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1042
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/26 23:44:45 (permalink)
Walt's Hitching Post in Ft. Wright is open with new owners. I think there might be posts about that in this particular forum.

I have heard great things about everything on the menu, except the ribs. Go for the steaks and the sides.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3229
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/27 19:04:55 (permalink)
Mrs. Bonk
Bonk
So Red Sesame, which has a really good Korean BBQ food truck, is taking that spot I mentioned above at Jungle Jim's Eastgate. There's still a curtain in front of the shop but it looks/sounds like they're fairly close.

I wish them well and will definitely support them.

It finally opened a few days ago!  Bonk and I enjoyed one each of the pork, chicken and steak tacos for lunch today.  You can request an item be "spicy" but they have a nice spice just as they are (not too much but enough for me).  So glad this opened so close to our house.  I can definitely see this as a go to place for weekend lunch or on nights I don't feel like cooking.

They are Mexican/Korean ?
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/27 20:37:09 (permalink)
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/30 21:29:43 (permalink)
Tried Walt's Hitching Post tonight after receiving a $100 gift certificate for Christmas.

Have to get the prime rib photo up.

post edited by Bonk - 2016/12/30 21:30:54
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7853
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2016/12/31 08:49:51 (permalink)
Nice!  Hopefully the flavor and tenderness live up to the photo...did you have to eat fairly early to get a rare piece like that?
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/01 14:02:07 (permalink)
The Tim Horton's on Colerain is now open, as of approximately noon yesterday (when I saw them putting the "Now Open" flags out front).

I hope to get to Frenchie Fresh (the burger bar from Jean-Robert that took over the former Lime location in Norwood) for lunch tomorrow.
Hungry Matt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/02 20:11:07 (permalink)
Went to Freddys on 125 in Amelia last week. It was ok. Everything inside felt "greasy" the floors, the tables, the seats. Everything was slippery. The burger was ok, I got the California burger, it was loaded with toppings and too much special sauce. Fries were plentiful for sure but that was about it for them. Ours where dry, overcooked. Son's burger looked good, he said it was good but he said he'd rather go to Steak n Sheak instead. I tend to agree.

Also went again to Redzone in Amelia. Same lacking service as last time, again though wings were big and meaty, sauce was good. 
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/03 10:05:07 (permalink)
A few random notes:

Leyla has opened in the old Karma/Tan Thai spot at Beechmont Mall.  No gyros, but rather Mediterranean fine dining with a particular focus on Turkish items. Kinda expensive, and I don't think they are quite hitting the fine dining concept here on the ambience side

I tried Red Sesame inside Jungle Jim's Eastgate and these were tiny 2 bite tacos for about 3 dollars apiece and no discount for ordering multiple tacos.  Good flavors, but not a great value

While I was there, I noted Zoup is opening a location near HH Greggs

Wild Eggs in Oakley Station and Urban Grill on Main in Newtown should both be opening in a week or so
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/03 19:30:56 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Nice!  Hopefully the flavor and tenderness live up to the photo...did you have to eat fairly early to get a rare piece like that?

We got there at 5:30, so yes.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/04 12:09:17 (permalink)
I did make it out to Frenchie Fresh on Monday, and was quite pleased. The "create your own" burger prices can get pretty expensive pretty quickly (especially if you go with one of the more "exotic" meats like lamb or bison), so I stuck with one of the predefined "chef's choice" burgers for $10 (the Alpine, which is a beef patty with gruyere, carmelized onions, and mushrooms), which would have cost more on the "create your own" menu. All burgers include parmesan truffle fries, which can be substituted with a small salad or tater tots if you prefer. Fountain drinks are $2, and there are several choices other than soda (an iced black tea, an iced green tea which was watered down, coconut water, cranberry/cherry juice, and something else I'm forgetting).

I had read some Yelp complaints about the burgers being cooked medium well by default, but I was given the choice of "pink or no pink" when I ordered mine. "No pink" came out as medium well, and the patty was much thicker than expected (not Terry's thick, but thicker than most places) and cooked almost perfectly. The fries were not, however; maybe a quarter of them were overcooked, although none of them were undercooked. They were delicious just the same.

I also recently drove out to Roney's for the first time, and found it to be a mixed bag. The roast beef was excellent and priced ridiculously low (and I love how peppery it is), and I wouldn't hesitate to order it again. The chicken fingers were grocery store freezer quality, however, and I do not exaggerate when I say that the BBQ sauce is one of the worst I have ever had, and might as well be syrup for how sweet it is. Fortunately, the horseradish sauce came to my rescue.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/05 19:59:40 (permalink)
Not that it is any great loss, but it looks like the Mexican Restaurant at Skytop Plaza (bottom of Beechmont Hill) that has gone through many names is currently closed down again
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/11 11:25:45 (permalink)
Polly reported that Rookwood and Jimmy G's both closed recently, and that Rookwood's chef has announced he will be re-opening the JimmyG's space as Bauer, focused on European foods with a particular focus on German foods.

http://www.cincinnati.com...become-bauer/96397424/
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/12 23:05:54 (permalink)
a few east-side bits of news

--I noticed while driving through Mt Washington tonight that the former NYNY Deli was being worked on.  I pulled over and saw that "Ramundo's Pizza" was being painted on the side wall facing Wendy's.  I assume that this is a second location for Ramundos tiny spot just off Mt Lookout Square, but I didn't ask anyone.  Looks like they are a long ways from opening

--I noticed while driving through Anderson that what was once the ONLY Indian eatery in Anderson -- Royal Taj -- has closed.  Not sure when that happened.  New signage for a Thai place is already up.  Thai eateries have not done well (to put it mildly) in Anderson (Kar-Ma, Tan Thai, Basil Thai, Foreign Exchange, all RIP) but I wish them luck because I like Thai and Anderson absolutely needs more non-chains.

--Right next to the new Thai place, the long empty storefront has signage indicating that it will house a place where you can "eat, drink, and paint".  I've heard of various high end drinkeries holding painting nights for the spritzer and chardonnay crowd, but I guess it must have become a big enough new thing that a new venue can actually specialize in this activity 7 days a week
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2017/01/12 23:07:22
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/13 00:04:40 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
--Right next to the new Thai place, the long empty storefront has signage indicating that it will house a place where you can "eat, drink, and paint".  I've heard of various high end drinkeries holding painting nights for the spritzer and chardonnay crowd, but I guess it must have become a big enough new thing that a new venue can actually specialize in this activity 7 days a week

Sounds like Painting With a Twist on Harrison Avenue or Wine & Canvas on Mall Road in Florence
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/13 00:12:37 (permalink)
I was not aware of those spots.....sounds like a trend.......
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/13 09:34:12 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
I was not aware of those spots.....sounds like a trend.......

Looks like there's already a place there on Ohio Pike in Withamsville called A Stroke of Art that does the same thing.  Maybe they're moving closer to town?
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/13 10:21:52 (permalink)
You'd think I'd know about this place in my own backyard  *red in the face*

Ghaz is da man
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/13 13:30:41 (permalink)
The Google-fu is strong with me...
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/15 15:44:34 (permalink)
I got one of those Foody City decks of cards for Christmas with 52 coupons ($10 off) for different local eateries.

One that caught my eye was The Bourbon Smokehouse in Hyde Park, and I read and article written in August that it was a couple of weeks away from opening. I saw no site, the Facebook account hadn't been touched in months and the phone number was disconnected. I wonder what happened.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/15 16:03:03 (permalink)
A follow-up to my couple-months-old Purple Poulet post (how's that for alliteration?). I found Mrs. Bonk's photos.

Here was the original post:

The other place was an A+ across the board, a southern-themed restaurant in Dayton, Ky., that opened in March called The Purple Poulet. It's on 6th, which is Fairfield to the west. If you get off the last I-471 exit before you get to Ohio, coming from the south, you go east for about two miles and it's on the left.

We were celebrating this week (Go Cubs Go!) and decided to stop there late this week. 

First, for whatever reason, I'd never actually been to downtown Dayton, but I like what I saw. It's clean with some older buildings, and the people were super. We got there early and stopped in a nearby gift shop and ended up talking to the owners for about 10 minutes. Great people.

Same idea for us: Get several things and share them all. Sort of a small meet-and-greet we do except we already know each other. 

We got the Croque Monsieur biscuits, the buttermilk bacon mashed potatoes and eventually the butterscotch creme brule to share, I got the shrimp and grits and Mrs. Bonk got the fried chicken and waffle.

Croque Monsieur biscuits - Two of these for $10 come with pulled pork AND ham and two cheeses and "pickled things". Not listed as an appetizer but work well in that capacity. Flaky biscuits, fresh cheese and meats...great start to the meal.

Buttermilk bacon mashed potatoes - So these come with chunks of real smoked bacon, and it must be cooked with the bacon in them because you can taste smoky bacon in the potatoes themselves. A huge pile is $7, and half of them are still sitting in our frig. The menu is sort of a la carte, which is why we ordered these to share.

Shrimp and grits - I was between this and the paneed veal pappardelle, and our server recommended this one. I was not disappointed. The shrimp taste grilled and the grits are almost swimming in butter. And bacon "debris" as they call it, andouille and red-eye ganache is mixed in. Best grits I've ever had.

Chicken and waffle - Everyone was ordering this, and I could see why. It's a half chicken on a waffle, so it stands literally a foot and a half high. I just tried Mrs. Bonk's skin...err...the chicken skin, and it was to die for. She gets this a lot of places and said it was one of her favorites of all time.

Butterscotch brule - Not something I'd order on my own, but Mrs. Bonk loves a good brule, and this was definitely good brule. They do it right...torching it until the surface turns into a glass-like substance and tastes like sugary custard and butterscotch.

Mrs. Bonk got a stiff drink (they're known for bourbons but I don't drink those), I got sweet tea and the bill was just $83. We made several more meals out of that at home. 

One of our best finds in a long time. Very highly recommended. We can't wait to go back.

The shrimp and grits.

Mrs. Bonk's chicken and waffles.

The buttermilk and bacon mashed potatoes with huge chunks of smoked bacon.

The butterscotch creme brule.

Some girly drink Mrs. Bonk had.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7853
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/15 16:53:12 (permalink)
Bonk
A follow-up to my couple-months-old Purple Poulet post (how's that for alliteration?).

Pretty poor, pal.  Possibly pathetic, perhaps.

But you can send some non-waffled chicken my way.
Page: << < ..121122123124 > Showing page 123 of 124
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5