AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..121122123124 Showing page 124 of 124
Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 789
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/15 17:32:54 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Bonk
A follow-up to my couple-months-old Purple Poulet post (how's that for alliteration?).

Pretty poor, pal.  Possibly pathetic, perhaps.

But you can send some non-waffled chicken my way.

The picture doesn't do the size of the chicken (or the waffle) justice.
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 272
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/27 13:58:05 (permalink)
The Sweets and Meats food truck will be opening a brick and mortar location in Mount Washington.  From their Facebook page:

From our humble beginnings in the parking lot of the Mt. Washington Creamy Whip in 2014 to our tent at the Patriot Center of Cincinnati  (Post 318) in 2015 to our food truck in 2016....we thank you for your continued support! We will be opening a brick & mortar location at the former Little Caesars location in the Mt. Washington business district.

It's a work in progress and there is still a lot to be done, (nothing in business is ever easy) but we hope to be open some time this spring. We couldn't be more excited to invest in our own neighborhood and hope we'll be a welcomed addition to our community. We're anxious to fill your hungry bellies on a consistent basis. Stay tuned for details!

For information, follow us online at www.facebook.com/sweetsandmeats or visit our website at www.sweetsandmeatsbbq.com which is under construction.

TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5217
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/01/27 15:06:03 (permalink)
Good news for Mt Washington, getting a decent pizza place replacing a bad deli, and a decent bbq place replacing a terrible pizza place
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/04 11:55:39 (permalink)
I never thought NYNY was bad, I'm just not a big fan of the $8 sandwich concept, and I wasn't a fan of their side options.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/04 12:18:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby soozycue520 2017/02/19 17:04:30
So we tried Mazunte two weeks ago at Madison and Red Bank. 

http://mazuntetacos.com/

We went at 11:30 on a Saturday, and there was a significant line, but it moved quickly. Most of the tables were occupied, and we considered sitting outside since it was pushing 60 degrees, but two bar seats opened up and we opted for those.

We noticed that a lot of people eating there were of Hispanic decent, which is a great sign.

You order at the front counter, they give you a number and bring your food out. Except instead of numbers they're regions of Mexico, which is an interesting twist.

Mrs. Bonk got the memelitas, and I got the enchiladas. We also ordered the queso dip, which we always do when we go to a Mexican place because melted cheese is awesome. And it's a $2 charge to use the salsa bar, where they make nacho chips fresh and have several different salsas.

It's kind of hard to describe the flavors because there's not much basis for comparison, but everything was excellent. The pulled pork I had on my enchiladas was very flavorful and juicy. 

The rice was not the reddish Mexican kind one usually gets at such a place. It was standard white but had a unique flavor that included a little garlic. Very different but very good.

The two things that jumped out were the authenticity and the freshness. A lot of Gringo-fied Mexican places use store-bought tortillas and shells and drown food in cheese, but you can tell theirs were recently made in house.

Same with the salsas. We tried three: a green one, and standard red one and a brownish one with lots of seeds that was the hottest. I had a hard time picking a favorite because they all had distinct flavors. I'm not normally a green salsa fan but this was probably the best I've had.

It's simple, fresh, authentic food at reasonable prices, and based on the crowd people are already taking notice.

Bill was about $30, and that's including two drinks, trying a lot of different stuff and taking home leftovers.

Highly, highly recommended. The only thing that will keep me from going too often is the location. Unfortunately there's no easy way to get there from Eastgate. It's a good half-hour drive.

My enchiladas:

Mrs. Bonk's memelitas:

post edited by Bonk - 2017/02/04 12:19:30
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/04 20:08:39 (permalink)
The rice at Mazunte - I was very disappointed when I opened my box to see what looked to be unseasoned rice. It was indeed quite good. A nice surprise.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/05 15:21:59 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
The rice at Mazunte - I was very disappointed when I opened my box to see what looked to be unseasoned rice. It was indeed quite good. A nice surprise.

My thoughts exactly. Never seen "normal" looking white rice served at a Mex joint.

So you knew about this place and didn't tell us!?!? Or did you head over immediately after reading my mouth-watering review?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7800
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/05 16:07:00 (permalink)
I'm sure TJ never noticed your review, as you posted it in the proper forum.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/06 12:35:29 (permalink)
Nice one, SC......just a second while I pull the knife out of my back......erk.....ok, here ya go :-)

I am not sure if I talked about Mazunte here.  I only tend to mention places here if I really like them, and I have a lot of issues with Mazunte.   The "plain" rice, however, is not one of them :-)
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/06 20:01:34 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Nice one, SC......just a second while I pull the knife out of my back......erk.....ok, here ya go :-)

I am not sure if I talked about Mazunte here.  I only tend to mention places here if I really like them, and I have a lot of issues with Mazunte.   The "plain" rice, however, is not one of them :-)

No, you've never mentioned it.

Completely understand that sentiment, but please tell since we intend to frequent that place. Even if only in PM.
post edited by Bonk - 2017/02/07 20:23:21
Cincinnati Specialties
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/07 10:27:49 (permalink)
I have never been here but have put it on my places to eat bucket list. I love trying new places around town.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/08 12:43:24 (permalink)
Welcome to roadfood, cincinnati specialities.  Are you a vendor?

Some misc items

--This happened a few weeks ago, but the building in Newtown that originally housed Lazlo's Iron Skillet has been torn down

--Citybeat is reporting a coffee sipping joint is soon to open in Mason where you can, uhm, pet cats while you drink coffee.  No, I'm not kidding
http://www.citybeat.com/food-drink/eats-feature/article/20850770/cats-and-a-cuppa

--Polly has declared that a newly opened Thai joint in Sayler Park (of all places) is the best Thai restaurant in town.  I don't often get over to the west side, but I will definitely hit this up at some point
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/dining/polly's%20reviews/2017/02/08/best-thai-food-cincinnati-buddha-barn-sayler-park/97401506/
http://www.buddhabarnthai.com/

--Polly also reported that a new seafood place will open in the former Emilia Enoteca spot in OBryonville. I wish them luck because that location has been the doom of several eateries in the recent past.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/dining/2017/02/08/obryonvilles-8th-and-english-serve-seafood/97567066/
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/16 10:43:51 (permalink)
A new little french place is opening in the old Milford business district, late February-ish?
http://www.cincinnati.com...enee-bistrot/97944614/
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/01/31/french-bistro-coming-to-milford.html
http://www.chezreneefrenchbistrot.com/

also

The Enquirer reports that this place

TJ Jackson
Polly reported that Rookwood and Jimmy G's both closed recently, and that Rookwood's chef has announced he will be re-opening the JimmyG's space as Bauer, focused on European foods with a particular focus on German foods.

http://www.cincinnati.com...become-bauer/96397424/

is now open
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2017/02/16 15:57:16
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/24 20:14:21 (permalink)
I believe that this eatery, which opened yesterday, is our areas first Nepali restaurant

http://www.bizjournals.co...-opening-date-for.html
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 301
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/02/25 16:34:33 (permalink)
Bonk
So you knew about this place and didn't tell us!?!? Or did you head over immediately after reading my mouth-watering review?

I could have sworn I mentioned Mazunte here before, which quickly became one of our favorite places over the past couple of years. We go at least once or twice a month. I was actually just there last night and had the empanadas for the first time, since I was curious about their Lenten options that aren't fish tacos. I typically default to the sangria-marinated steak tacos, which is by far my favorite entree.

The empanada options are potato or mushroom, but you can get one of each if you prefer. They turned out to be one of the better values on the menu, since the two empanadas include both rice and the excellent black bean puree for $7.50. I replaced the avocado salsa (not a fan of anything avocado) with the red onion salsa used on the steak tacos, which was a good choice. The empanadas were fried perfectly (not greasy, not heavy), and while the mashed potato filling itself didn't taste like much, the mouthful of red salsa, sour cream, and black bean puree with every bite more than made up for it. My dine-in total with salsa bar and Jamaica (hibiscus tea) was a hair over $12.

The only menu item I have thoroughly disliked is the seasonal (and currently unavailable) corn on the cob, which is slathered in too much chipotle mayo. Everything else has been excellent.
post edited by dlawson - 2017/02/25 16:36:50
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/03/09 12:25:33 (permalink)
Just read on Yelp that a place that specializes in Lobster Rolls is opening downtown

https://www.facebook.com/CourtStLobster/

The hired a guy away from Jean Robert to run the kitchen so I am optimistic that this will be a good product

That said, I had to laugh a little when I read that they were going to offer a variant called a "Cincinnati style" lobster roll.  No, there's no goetta or chili involved.  Somehow, sriracha mayo makes it Cincinnati style.  Yeah, that makes perfect sense *laff*
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/03/16 17:44:07 (permalink)
Not sure if I have mentioned this before, but while I dearly love the pulled pork at both Smoq and Eli's, they are no longer my favorites locally.

Webb's BBQ (http://www.webbs-bbq.com/) in Newport is open exactly one day a week - Friday - and their 6 dollar pulled pork sandwich is amazingly good.  I am not a big fan of any of the sides, so if you go, spend your money on the meats, most especially the pulled pork.  Or the candied bacon (a buck a strip) that doesn't ever seem to be on the menuboard but is generally available.

I am not a fan of either of their two sauces.  One is a house made vinegar based sauce, and the other is a commercial catsup-style sauce.  Mix them together 1 part of the former and 2 parts of the latter and you have a winner.

Canned soft drinks are just a buck, and Ale-8-One bottles for 1.50.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2017/03/16 17:46:49
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 272
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/03/25 19:20:23 (permalink)
A new restaurant (a franchise, unfortunately) is coming to Florence in the old Noodles & Company location on the corner of Houston and Ted Bushelman Blvd.  CoreLife Eatery is a healthy, fast casual restaurant opening May 5th according to their Facebook page.
tinacart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/04/12 20:27:50 (permalink)
I'm sorry in advance if this is a redundant question, but I can't seem to get any answers from any news sources.

People talk a lot about how great "Tucker's"  is on Vine St.   But then I noticed another Tucker's, on 13th St., that apparently no one talks about, or if they do it's derisively.  Someone even said they "stole" the original Tucker's trademark, or something.

Anyway, I tried contacting the people at Tucker's on 13 via their Facebook page.

Here's what they said:
"Greetings Tina, Thanks for your question. Tucker's on 13th is the oldest diner in OTR, serving it for over 71 years. It is not associated with the other Tuckers. The landmark location was legally bought in 2011 from Mr. Joe Tucker, including business, name, trademark, menu and property. We have upheld standards of Joe Tucker and have only improved."

I've never visited either location, but looking forward to trying them both out. 

-T
post edited by tinacart - 2017/04/13 00:19:37
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/04/28 23:43:41 (permalink)
I was excited to try Bard's Burgers (no web site) after its tee vee appearance, so Mrs. Bonk and I tried it out tonight.

It's in a sort-of run-down part of Latonia, and we drove past it the first time because the sign wasn't obvious. The interior sort of resembled the area, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

No one came to see us for a couple of minutes, and then we were told they were waiting for menus to be freed up. I'd never had this happen anywhere in my entire life before, and the place was only two-thirds full. After about 10 minutes, the table behind us was done with its menus and we got two.

Then another long wait. Then we ordered. Then we waited. And waited.

We had ordered the cheese curds, which had earned high praises, and the menu brags that they are flown in from Wisconsin. We both got burgers, and I ordered a coney so I could try the chili.  

There was a question about my burger order, which was fine, and I thought that meant we were up soon. We weren't. Finally they asked if we wanted our curds first. Well, yeah.

The curds were definitely good. They're breaded in a similar manner to Culver's, I think in panko bread crumbs, and the cheese was perfectly melted.

Finally the burgers. They were very good, although we weren't given a done-ness option. They were medium to medium well but still juicy and very flavorful. The coney was also above average. Quality regionally-appropriate chili, plenty of cheese, nice moist but still sturdy bun. 

Fries were homemade and high quality. 

We never were offered silverware, although all we got was finger food, so it didn't matter. I just found it odd. They had cheap paper towel rolls at the tables that didn't easily pull off. 

And to top things off, I had seen people pay at the counter but didn't realize we had to go up there for our check, which took another several minutes.

We had talked about the dessert options when we arrived but after nearly an hour and a half for a meal at a burger joint, we just paid and left. 

They did apologize at a couple of points for the wait but didn't offer a "have a nice day" or "thanks" when we left. 

The owner is also one of the cooks and was busting it in the back the whole time, but the wait staff on this visit was brutal. Maybe it was a bad night. 

The food really is strong but it didn't stand out enough to make me want to go back with such amateurish service, especially since it's a half hour drive for us.

The reviews were all awesome so I hope they turn that aspect around. 
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 326
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/05/25 23:59:11 (permalink)
dlawson
TJ Jackson
I have to say the pics of pizza I have seen from this place do not look like the styles of pizza from either of the two cities - NYC and Chicago

Her review says as much, although she pans (no pun intended) their New York version more than their Chicago version. I'm not interested in a pizzeria that gets the decor right and the pizza wrong.

A rough crowd here. I realize that I have absolutely no credibility in assessing quality of pizza because I actually adore Dayton style pies such as Ron's in Miamisburg... But I'll forge ahead anyway.

I think Two Cities' vibe, traffic, menu, and non Chicago pizza selection and prices compares roughly with The Works in Loveland. We tried this place last night (Wednesday) and there was a 45 min wait for a table for two the main dining room. We went to the patio and found exactly one high top table that was located in a gap at the edge of the awning, and rain was starting, so we gave up and walked back in (thinking we would bail.) A table had opened in the bar just as I walked in so we grabbed it. The place is popular.

We ordered a "New York's Finest" 15 inch - pep, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, and green peppers on red sauce. I had a Caesar side salad that was nice and fresh with good homemade croutons and abundant Parmesan.

Along with you guys and Polly, I also don't consider this pizza a very authentic NY style. The crust is fairly bready - chews like bread - and has no crunch or sear on the bottom. Even Flying Pizza is more authentic than this.

BUT I REALLY ENJOYED IT and even really enjoyed the leftovers the next day. I know, I have no standards.... I also know that a rule of thumb for pizza suckage is when someone talks about the toppings... but the toppings were abundant and each slice was extremely filling.

But I think you'd go here to placate everyone in the family or group with entrees that everyone can relate to, not to be able to order an really authentic NY style pie. They have a Chicago style hot dog that interested me... no idea how good it is... some kind of cheese monkey bread appetizer that looked really good being brought by our table.

The waitstaff and help is young and *extremely* nice and pretty attentive. Service was fairly prompt.

So, again, this place feels like a Mason version of The Works but with service that doesn't suck and not quite as large, crowded and busy.

The aforementioned pizza (~$21?), the ($4) side salad, a Bud Lite on draft, and unsweetened tea, was just under $33.

Peace out... I'll go crawl back under my no-knowledge-of-great-pizza "ooh, what great toppings and lots of them" rock now.
(did I lay it on too thick? GOOD. ;) )
post edited by donw9876 - 2017/05/26 00:08:39
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/05/26 07:22:11 (permalink)
I liked your summary!  Thanks! 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7800
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/05/26 08:53:12 (permalink)
donw9876
I realize that I have absolutely no credibility in assessing quality of pizza because I actually adore Dayton style pies such as Ron's in Miamisburg...

What is this "Ron's" of which you speak?
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/05/26 10:44:55 (permalink)
Donw:
hey, at least you've tried it - I haven't.  :-) No problem as far as I am concerned with individual tastes :-)  It just doesn't look from the pics I have seen like they know what a Chicago style deep dish is, and thats what I was hoping would be good there, as we already have a few good to very good NY style pizza joints here in Cincinnati, but no good deep dish since Romeos went away

Chicken Man:
Rons is a Dayton-based pizza chain serving Dayton style pizza, whch isn't a well known style.  Marion's is another chain (a slightly better known one) serving this style
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 326
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/05/26 18:29:06 (permalink)
I think the lack of authenticity and attention to the finer points is what you get when a place is a highly trafficked spot that tries hard to be all things to everyone like this place. If Two Cities specialized in the supposed NY style with a more narrow menu I would have been harder on the product.

Does anyone know how Aponte's is around the corner (so to speak) in Mason?
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/05/26 19:14:58 (permalink)
Went to Aponte's once a few months after the Restaurant Impossible episode

Had the pizza

not good.  kinda flavorless. 
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 301
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/06/01 21:04:29 (permalink)
Frenchie Fresh was closed one day earlier this week for "maintenance", and reopened with a more open waiting/ordering area, more high top tables, a new beverage (watermelon limeade replaced the non-alcoholic mimosa), a new menu board, and a 10-15% price hike on just about everything. The quality and portions have thankfully not decreased, but that puts every non-vegetarian sandwich above $10 now.

We also recently tried Hitching Post on Kellogg for the first time, and all of us were completely underwhelmed by the fried chicken (and everything else but the prices, to be perfectly honest). They must be doing something right if they've been there almost 50 years now, but it wasn't evident on our plates.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3229
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2017/06/01 22:50:31 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Went to Aponte's once a few months after the Restaurant Impossible episode

Had the pizza

not good.  kinda flavorless. 

My take also ( from years ago ).
Page: << < ..121122123124 Showing page 124 of 124
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5