Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
2018/09/18 18:56:55 (permalink)

Where's the chili in Houston - 2018

Oops.  See the second post.

Note:  Vallone's Houston is closed.  Tony Vallone has again been shutting down or selling off all his operations except his original Vallone's, which since the early 70s has been considered one of the top haute cuisine restaurants in Houston.  I have read before that the chili used to appear occasionally as a special on the lunch menu at Tony's and would sell out fast; maybe that will be reinstituted.

I've never had the chili at Molina's; I had been told it's just their chili gravy (for tamales and enchiladas) in a bowl.  Apparently that was misinformation.  I'll be trying it out soon.

I've also never had the chili by itself at JCI Grill, aka James Coney Island for over 80 years.  I always understood it was the same chili used in their Chili Pie, but apparently not.  So I'll be trying that out soon, too.

The venison chili at Goode Co.'s Armadillo Palace is the top bowl in the city that I know of.  I saw a list recently that named it the second best bowl in the whole country.

I've also never had the chili at Laurenzo's or Killen's.  Those are both relatively recent restaurants.  I don't see if on Killen's menu online; maybe it's only an occasional special or only served in cold weather.

post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/09/18 19:23:11
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/09/18 19:03:08 (permalink)
Hah!  I guess I should have read the fine print in the contract, eh?  I tried to post a link and it didn't show up.

If anybody want's to look it up look for the article 'Houston's Six Best Bowls of Chili' by Greg Morago at the site houstonchronicle.com
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/09/18 19:15:08
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/09/18 19:21:37 (permalink)
Over the years I've collected a list of places to get a bowl of chili in Houston.  In the last couple of years three of the places at the top of the list have closed.  So I've begun looking for new places to get a fix.  There are 13 places still open on my list but only a couple of them have bowls I really like (Armadillo Palace among them).  But I'm encouraged by what I'm finding - my list of places to try has 15-16 places now and some look very promising.  I plan to do a tour and report back but probably not until the weather cools off, hopefully in another month.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1838
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/09/18 21:50:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BayouCityNosh 2018/09/19 09:05:56
Here you go. It's a fairly older article, but it reads well.

https://www.houstonchroni...s-of-chili-6098532.php
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2710
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/09/18 23:18:56 (permalink)
Welcome aboard Bruce,
I've always loved your website. Looking forward to your visits here on Roadfood. I don't know if it's still on the menu but Max's Wine Dive (Austin location) had one of the best bowls of chili in the entire city. I believe they called it 'Brushfire'. It had a mole character and plenty chile complexity.

I see there are two locations in Houston.
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/09/19 09:25:59 (permalink)
Thanks for helping me out, Root-Beer Man.

SC - Max's Wine Dive?  I've never heard of chili there, mostly it's raves about the fried chicken.  I don't see it on the menu of either Houston location or San Antonio.  Austin has a Wild Game Chili on the diner menu and it does sound good.

Just an observation, not scientifically based, but in Houston, gumbo and tortilla soup outsells chili.  I'm looking at going to one place that has all three.  In the gallery of their listing on a certain user review website there are almost 1000 pictures posted - many of the gumbo and tortilla soup, not one single photo of the chili. 
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/10/20 04:46:14 (permalink)
This is the oldest bowl of chili in Houston.

Billed as a 1923 Texas Original, it’s been on the menu at James Coney Island (the name for the first 90 years, JCI Grill for the last 5 years) from the beginning - at 15 cents a bowl originally. They claim the original ‘secret recipe’ has never been changed.
This is only the second time I’ve ever had it. I was a big fan of the Frito Pie and never got around to this until recently. For the time being it’s my favorite.

This is not Tolbert’s Bowl of Red. Nor does it come anywhere close to my ideological notion of a perfect bowl of chili, which purely coincidentally closely resembles the chili I make in my kitchen. It is very lacking in cumin and heat from chili peppers but I found it very tasty and very satisfying. I have no trouble believing it was a hit with Houstonians almost a century ago and they’ve never felt the need to change the recipe.

It is soupy and I like that. After years of trying to perfect my recipe I came to the conclusion that this practice of ‘tightening up’ chili with masa or crackers or whatever has gotten out of hand. I’ve been served bowls of chili so tightened up, I could eat them with a fork off a plate. I don’t use anything to tighten up my chili any more other than just leaving it on the heat longer to cook off more of the liquid. Your preferences may differ, of course.

It came garnished with a modest amount of fresh onion, under the cheese, and a slightly less modest amount of grated cheese. I got this from the drive-thru because I have energy and stamina issues related to some medical treatments I’m going through. If I’d ordered it inside, perhaps I’d have gotten the garnishes on the side. There is also a trend which I dislike of over-garnishing chili, particularly with huge amounts of cheese, but this very modest amount is okay by me. Again, your preferences may differ. This is a small, one cup order.

I’d recommend this bowl to any chili fanatic coming to town. It’s probably never going to win any awards, unless there a ‘historically significant’ category, and you may not like it as much as I do but it’s worth trying and it’s damn good.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/10/20 04:48:45
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/10/20 10:04:39 (permalink)
Looks good. How dialed down was the chile? I need a good blast of heat in my chili. Also, how much did it cost?
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/10/20 12:35:54 (permalink)
Way down.  There is a condiments bar inside which I know has hot sauce.  Whether chili pepper flakes are available I don't remember.  Stick a small bottle in your pocket before you go .

Can't find my receipt but as I recall it was $5.09 including tax.

The two samples I've had varied in how soupy they were and how done the meat was.  Kind of par for the course for JCI.  According to the linked list above, it's actually prepared by a commissary in Dallas.  I found the meat in irregular sized pieces and I detected no ground meat.
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/10/20 13:21:16 (permalink)
Now I'm hungry for a soupy beef-based chili and I just made a big kettle of pinto bean chili that's a little on the thick side. Not sure when I'll be in Houston but I'll be watching your reports.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9240
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/10/20 22:08:49 (permalink)
So split the batch and keep 1 half as is while you mix some browned 73/27 burger meat - fat and all - into the other.  Problem solved.

That cup of JCI chili looks pretty good.  Nosh, do you know if the outsourcing to Dallas is somehow related to the name change?
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/10/21 04:14:31 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

That cup of JCI chili looks pretty good.  Nosh, do you know if the outsourcing to Dallas is somehow related to the name change?

The descendants of the founders had to sell the chain in 1990 to investors when they ran into financial difficulties (purportedly bad outside investments).  The investors vowed to preserve the legacy and try to revitalize the brand.  My experience over the years was that they did the former well (the Legacy menu) but really botched attempts to add new items to the menu, especially 'gourmet' hot dogs.  I'll get into that in the hot dog forum, eventually.  It was their decision, perhaps with consultants, to change the name, which I think was a mistake.  I don't know when the outsourcing started but they don't seem to understand yet the need to keep on top of things.
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/27 18:55:55 (permalink)
I've been working on my chili tour/crawl of Houston.  We've had some really cold weather here (for Houston); some places only make chili when it's cold.  I've got a list of over 2 dozen new places to try and about a dozen and a half that I've been to over the last 10-15 years that are still in business, so I'll be at this for a while.  I'm hoping to find some real standout bowls, expecting to find many decent bowls and hopefully no really lousy bowls.

Hamburger joints, bbq joints and steak houses have been hot restaurant categories in Houston for the last year and a half or so.  I've been happy to find chili appearing on lots of menus and even hot dogs, on the adult menu, not just the kiddie menu.  That's revolutionary for Houston.

One of the new places is FM Kitchen and Bar, in the trendy Washington Corridor/Rice Military neighborhood west of downtown.  They have 5 hot dogs listed on the menu and a cup of chili.  I got the plain hot dog on a potato roll.  The wiener was skinless, nothing special, a disappointment, but the potato roll was the best I've ever had.  Potato rolls are not common down here.  I have to use Pepperidge Farm, Oroweat or the rolls from the bakery at one of the big Kroger stores.  This was by far the best potato roll I've ever had, lightly toasted.

I got the plain dog thinking I could spoon some of the chili and onions off the cup of chili onto the dog.  That proved to be easier said than done.  This is only offered as a cup, not a bowl.  It's a ground beef chili and the beef was very tender - maybe they've seen the ATK recipe?  I was initially turned off by the quantity of garnishes - I like a very modest amount - but the chili underneath proved to be bold enough to stand up to them.  There were cooked onions in the chili and also bits of tomato and, I thought, tomato paste, in greater abundance than I like.  There wasn't much ancho chili, which is what I prefer.  There was a nice heat level that lasted.

I'm sure for some this would be great chili but I don't expect to go back for it again.  I did like the restaurant, though.  They're more noted for their burgers and they did look fine.  Despite being in a trendy neighborhood, during the day the crowd included lots of people of a wide range of ages.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/11/27 19:24:09
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/27 19:19:46 (permalink)
The honor of serving the second oldest bowl of chili in Houston goes to Molina's, which currently holds forth as the oldest Tex-Mex restaurant in the city after several others gave up the ghost in recent years.  Founded in 1941 by Raul and Mary Molina, the two current locations (they've had more in the past) are run by descendants and in-laws of the founders.  It's very old school Tex-Mex.  It's been said to be the favorite Tex-Mex of Bush41 and his late wife but it's not mine. (Robb Walsh consulted El Real has set a very high standard for old school Tex-Mex).  On the current menu, two dishes are noted as having been on the menu since 1941, including the Old-Fashioned Chili con Carne on the soup and salad menu.

I got a bowl to go after chowing down on not-very-crispy hard shell tacos at the restaurant.  The picture is from their Facebook page - my bowl tumbled over on it's side during the ride home and wasn't very photogenic.  i got close to two cups worth in a to-go order, plus a gallon size zip lock bag of tortilla chips.  The chili was already garnished and all the cheese (with onions underneath) coagulated over on one side of the bowl and I had to take it out and cut it into small pieces to have some in a spoonful.  Too much cheese for me; I would have appreciated being able to add that as I worked my way through the bowl.  

It's basically a ground beef chili and very lacking in heat.  I wasn't surprised - old school Tex-Mex was not very spicy compared to what people expect today.  There are several places on line that have the recipe and one of the TV stations has produced a briskly edited one-minute video of one of the Molina boys making the chili.  

They use cracker meal for the thickener.  I had heard this was just the same thing they serve as chili gravy on tamales and enchiladas and had never tried this before.  I think that's close to being right.  It tastes the same to me but with much more meat in the chili than in the gravy.

Though I didn't like this chili very much as a bowlful, I've found it works just fine on some eggs or toast or on a hot dog.

post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/11/27 19:28:16
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/27 21:26:48 (permalink)
Did you ever have the "decorated" eggs at the old Frisco Shop (rip) in Austin? They ladled chili over fried eggs and served the affair with hot buttered biscuits. It was a glorious mashup of diner food and Tex Mex. It's been brutally cold here in New Orleans (50s) so I've been making chili here at the house. There is no good chili at our restaurants so if you want it you better know how to cook it.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9240
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/28 08:43:27 (permalink)
BayouCityNosh
It's basically a ground beef chili and very lacking in heat.  I wasn't surprised - old school Tex-Mex was not very spicy compared to what people expect today.

I didn't eat a lot of chili growing up here in the Midwest but what I did eat was very often on the mild side.  Cooked-spicy chili was viewed as something foreign and exotic.

The bowl from Molina's looks good.  I can't gauge the thickness of the cheese, but I like it when it melts and becomes mottled with little splotches of grease.
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/28 10:05:06 (permalink)
scrumptiouschef
Did you ever have the "decorated" eggs at the old Frisco Shop (rip) in Austin? They ladled chili over fried eggs and served the affair with hot buttered biscuits. It was a glorious mashup of diner food and Tex Mex. It's been brutally cold here in New Orleans (50s) so I've been making chili here at the house. There is no good chili at our restaurants so if you want it you better know how to cook it.

Oh No! Is the Frisco gone completely?????  I know a few years ago they had to move but I thought they'd re-opened a few blocks away.

No, never had breakfast at Frisco (or Nighthawk).  I was hooked on the Frisco burger - still one of the best burgers I've ever had.   French fries, cole slaw (one of the best also), and the Top Chopt steaks.  Ate at the one on the Drag many, many, many times, only started venturing 'way out' on Burnet Rd. after that location closed.  Plate lunches sitting at the counter were at least a once a week stop.

Never went out for breakfast then; still don't.
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/28 10:13:39 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
BayouCityNosh
It's basically a ground beef chili and very lacking in heat.  I wasn't surprised - old school Tex-Mex was not very spicy compared to what people expect today.

I didn't eat a lot of chili growing up here in the Midwest but what I did eat was very often on the mild side.  Cooked-spicy chili was viewed as something foreign and exotic.

The bowl from Molina's looks good.  I can't gauge the thickness of the cheese, but I like it when it melts and becomes mottled with little splotches of grease.

The Molina's chili is not to my taste but it's very popular. 

I didn't eat much chili growing up, either.  Couldn't stand it!  I don't remember my mom making chili from scratch; all we ever had was Wolf Brand and it gave me terrible indigestion back then.  Our church held chili suppers regularly as fund raisers; the man who cooked the chili was a professional chef and his chili was very good - ground beef, very mild.

I discovered Wick Fowler's Two Alarm kit at a Kash Karry on the west side of Austin in 1968 or so - hadn't heard of Terlingua.  After reading the label I tossed it in the basket and headed straight to the meat counter and had them chili grind 2 pounds of round.  I was hooked on Wick Fowler for 2 decades.
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/28 15:06:52 (permalink)
Frisco Shop served their last meal at the end of July earlier this year. The old Nighthawks are all now officially closed.
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/28 18:19:30 (permalink)
I hadn't looked in on the place in years.  Sorry to hear that.

I scored some of the Central Market Chile con Carne, or Chili con Carne as they spell it.  I went in on a day when the overnight temps had gotten down near freezing and it was still in the 50s.  I thought surely they'd have some out on a day like that.  Every one of the spots for soup on the self serve hot soup bar was occupied but there was no chili.  I was sorely disappointed until I made it over to the other side of the big room where the refrigerated shelves are full of their most popular sellers, pre-portioned and priced for grab-and-go and there it was.

This is exactly the product I bought.  I have no idea why that page says it's no longer available.

Beef (hamburger grind), tomatoes, chile peppers (guajillo, ancho, pasilla) onions, shallots, veal stock, spices including more chili powder and cumin.  

I don't mind a little tomato to take the edge off some of the chilies but this is a little too much - not so much that I won't eat it though.  I prefer ancho over guajillo for the 'lead' chile, but I nearly always use all three of those in my chili.  Not much cumin or heat but this is not bad, one of the better bowls I've had so far, and I expect I'll stock up on some for the freezer for emergency rations net time I see it.  I can remedy the heat level, anyway.

If you look up Central Market chili online you'll find several different recipes; I don't know if this is the only one of those recipes they ever put out or not but it should be available from time to time at any Central Market.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/11/28 18:25:44
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/28 18:27:52 (permalink)
It's easy to go overboard on tomatoes. That awful Katie Workman "Texas Red" chili article on Washington Post had a freaking 28oz can of tomatoes in it. You'd have to make 40 quarts of chili to justify that much tomato.
Root-Beer Man
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/28 19:12:48 (permalink)
That does look like way too much tomato for my tastes! I have yet to find any real good chili up here in Indiana (to be fair I've never been to Nick's Chili in Indy, so I do have at least one recommended option), so I usually just stick to making my own. I use a hamburger grind chuck or sirloin, Carroll Shelby's mix and only a small can of tomato sauce, plus a bit of water. Shelby's spice mix works real well and I trust the guy who started the Terlingua event! Most of the stuff I've run across up here is Cincinnati style and I really can't stand that stuff. 
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/29 04:25:47 (permalink)
scrumptiouschef
It's easy to go overboard on tomatoes. That awful Katie Workman "Texas Red" chili article on Washington Post had a freaking 28oz can of tomatoes in it. You'd have to make 40 quarts of chili to justify that much tomato.

Agreed.  Tomato Beef Stew!  Gebhardt's bottle calls for 29 oz. of Hunt's Tomato sauce for a pound of ground beef.  The few times I've made chili with Gebhardt's I've never used that much.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/11/29 04:45:10
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/11/29 04:43:49 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
That does look like way too much tomato for my tastes! I have yet to find any real good chili up here in Indiana (to be fair I've never been to Nick's Chili in Indy, so I do have at least one recommended option), so I usually just stick to making my own. I use a hamburger grind chuck or sirloin, Carroll Shelby's mix and only a small can of tomato sauce, plus a bit of water. Shelby's spice mix works real well and I trust the guy who started the Terlingua event! Most of the stuff I've run across up here is Cincinnati style and I really can't stand that stuff. 

I look at that pic of the CM chili and I think - that's way too much tomato. But it didn't bother me too much taste-wise.  I've still got half of it; maybe it'll hit me next time I heat some up.  The Wick Fowler mix calls for an 8 oz can of tomato sauce with 2 lbs of chili grind beef; I got to where I was using only 4 oz.

I tried the Shelby a few times after I started getting tired of Fowler; really cant remember why I moved on but maybe just because I wanted to experiment with my own blends.  

The only Cincinnati style I've had is Skyline, from the freezer section at Kroger.  It's okay.  I had to leave the kidney beans out so I guess that's a four way.  I don't like kidney beans.  
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/11/29 05:02:26
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/12/09 18:14:12 (permalink)
I had mixed emotions about checking out the chili at Pete's Fine Meats.  There was a time Pete's had a reputation for one of the best bowls of chili in town, and one of the spiciest.  But the last time I was there, years ago, it had gone way down hill.  Pete's suffered a fire since then and was closed for almost a year I think.  This was my first visit back since they re-opened.

The place expanded into a neighboring space and the meat department and small area of shelves filled with specialty items looked very good.  The deli, at the far end of the space, looked completely untouched.  The fire must've been in the other end of the building.  

The young man behind the counter honored my request for a very small amount of onion and cheese as a garnish but that was the best part of the meal.  The chili was thin and watery, the meat, 1/4" dice of round, was still tough.  This pot needed at least an hour more simmering to be ready to serve.  Very disappointing.

The deviled egg I opted for as an accompaniment (upper left) was topped with a canned, soft, flavorless and heatless jalapeno. 

Hate to file a report like this on Pete's.  The head butcher, Mike I think his name is, is a super nice guy.  I wish they'd pay a bit more attention to the deli, though.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/12/11 18:51:25
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/12/10 09:49:55 (permalink)
I would imagine Pete's lost their old cook who took his recipe with him. That tale has been told countless times. There was in itinerant short order cook named Moose who made his way around Birmingham in the 80s cooking great food wherever he went. And when he was gone and on to the next spot you could always tell "Moose didn't make this."
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/12/10 11:59:18 (permalink)
My thoughts exactly.  Pete's also used to be known for great burgers and a steak and cheese hoagie.  I never cared for the hoagie but the burgers were great old-fashioned cafe burgers   The only other customers that day were working on burgers; I may get back over there and give them a try.
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/12/11 18:46:47 (permalink)

Creole Chili at Gumbo Jeaux's.  I remembered seeing this on the menu when I was considering going here for gumbo some time back.  I happened by this place headed elsewhere but circled back when I couldn't find the other place.

It's hamburger meat chili, tomatoey, but with a nice level of heat, with chopped up 'Cajun sausage,' just a supermarket variety I suspect, dirty rice and cheese.  The online menu said there would be tortilla strips; I'm glad I got the dirty rice instead.  Very few Cajun/Creole restaurants here have chili on the menu.

I liked this.  I tried the gumbo - shredded chicken, chopped up shrimp and sausage, lots of rice, in a light brown roux/gravy.  Nice heat, but if I'd been fed this blindfolded, I'm not sure I would have guessed it was gumbo at first.  

I recommend the Creole Chili.
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/12/11 18:53:23 (permalink)
I see my pic of the chili at Pete's isn't showing up.  I need to find a place to host photos.
Root-Beer Man
Re: Where's the chili in Houston - 2018 2018/12/11 22:16:47 (permalink)
BayouCityNosh
I see my pic of the chili at Pete's isn't showing up.  I need to find a place to host photos.

I've had good luck using Facebook to post mine, (since Photobucket decided they wanted an arm and a leg to host). I just made an album called Foodies and secured it so only I could see the pics. Then all you need to do is view the picture, copy the url and insert it here. Works really well and it's free!
post edited by Root-Beer Man - 2018/12/12 08:31:09
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5