Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2005/10/25 19:52:21 (permalink)

Why no Chinese food featured?

Hello,

I love looking at the Roadfood messago board, and this morning I wanted to look up the Chinese restaurants, and I could only find one in California featured, and it was a multi ethnic restaurant?

Chinese food (at least the American version of it) is prevelent and eaten in many small towns and large cities of the USA. I am sure that you have had your favorite place. My father and mother travelled in some small town in Illinois where he ate the best Chinese buffet in his life.

I think the 5.99 all you can eat Chinese buffet should be celebrated on this forum. best deal in town for dining if the cook and the quality of the food is good.

Any comments?

Senor

32 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23297
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/25 20:17:31 (permalink)
    I don't do buffets. I don't do salad bars either.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/25 20:21:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

Hello,

I love looking at the Roadfood messago board, and this morning I wanted to look up the Chinese restaurants, and I could only find one in California featured, and it was a multi ethnic restaurant?

Chinese food (at least the American version of it) is prevelent and eaten in many small towns and large cities of the USA. I am sure that you have had your favorite place. My father and mother travelled in some small town in Illinois where he ate the best Chinese buffet in his life.

I think the 5.99 all you can eat Chinese buffet should be celebrated on this forum. best deal in town for dining if the cook and the quality of the food is good.

Any comments?

Senor

I think you really answered your own question, i.e. :

"Chinese food (at least the American version of it)."
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/25 22:04:14 (permalink)
    I think that Chinese is a pretty underrepresented population of restaurants here, too. But, I do not relish thread upon thread of $5.99 buffet Chinese, either. For one thing, I was raised not to eat out of a trough....but, I guess that is for another topic.

I think that the problem is that there really isn't too much Chinese that meets the definition of "roadfood" as laid out on the home page. To that end, you will not likely see too many full reviews of Chinese places by the Roadfood team. In the "International" forum, people do discuss Chinese, and I recall an academic debate about the demise of the Chinese restaurant a few months back, as well as another on the subject of chow mein versus lo mein versus chop suey.

If there is a Chinese place that you like, post about it. Someone will go there, I am sure. If you really like it, and have access to a digital camera, then write a review for posting on the site.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/25 22:30:27 (permalink)
    I think a current thread on the BBQ forum entitled"When does an ethnic food become roadfood?" provides an excellent answer from Michael Stern on this very issue.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/25 22:47:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I don't do buffets. I don't do salad bars either.

Probably for the first time ever, I agree with Mr. Hoffman. I despise all-you-can-eat buffets. It is the exact opposite of what I think the restaurant experience should be.

Besides, you're not supposed to eat all you can eat!
    stricken_detective
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2772
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/26 00:41:22 (permalink)
    If you're ever in Waukesha, Wisconsin, go to Kim's Garden on Sunset Drive. Order the Chicken w/Peanut, medium spicy, the Beef On A Stick appetizer, Orange Beef, Shrimp szechuan, everything is good! :)
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/26 01:37:56 (permalink)
    Well, if dining experience is as important as food quality in picking a Roadfood joint may I suggest Kong Chow in downtown Rutland, Vermont. It's been there since the 1930s or 1940s and though the menu's been updated somewhat to meet contemporary expectations the place itself is like a time capsule. If you recall the Chinese restaurant in _A Christmas Story_ you'll have an idea -- wooden booths, paper lanterns, lights hanging in the window, solid old-school diner-style china with Asian decor (including the heavy, heavy teacups and soup bowls), cashier station with candy/gum behind glass underneath, etc. Management is always welcoming and very friendly and you get the feeling they care. I think they are descendants of the original owners -- the place has a serious vibe of connection to the past that's missing in more modern Chinese restaurants. The food isn't bad -- in fact it's pretty good (especially for the area) but it's the whole experience that makes it a memorable place and well worth a visit if you're in Rutland and miss the old days. I was there with my parents in the 1970s and back again in 2001 and 2003 and the place was just like I remembered it. I haven't been in the area in a year or two so I hope it's still there and they haven't changed things too much!
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 718
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/26 06:11:53 (permalink)
    Please spare us from Chinese buffets. However, there is no reason not to recommend an excellent Chinese place on the "Where Should I Eat" forum. I would certainly recommend China King in Herndon, VA and I have in response to a query for take-out in the DC area. There's also an International forum with plenty of Chinese buffet discussion.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1253
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/26 07:43:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Extreme Glow

Please spare us from Chinese buffets. However, there is no reason not to recommend an excellent Chinese place on the "Where Should I Eat" forum. I would certainly recommend China King in Herndon, VA and I have in response to a query for take-out in the DC area. There's also an International forum with plenty of Chinese buffet discussion.

I would agree. Mexican places and Italian places can be roadfood. So can Chinese. Or even Chinese-American if it's done extremely well. As opposed to well done.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/26 08:16:41 (permalink)
    Chinese & BBQ have one thing in common in my book. The filthier the restaurant is, the better the food tastes. Hah, there’s a Road Food rule, never eat in a place with a clean floor. The one Chinese place that stands out in my mind was in Appleton Wisconsin. The waitress was just a mess and the place was a dive, anytime we went to visit the college we would go there. It’s to long ago to remember the name.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/26 13:52:42 (permalink)
    I would humbly recommend going to the international section for Chinese food.

PS my personal opinion is that buffets have ruined Chinese food in the states.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13946
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/26 20:07:22 (permalink)

quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

Chinese & BBQ have one thing in common in my book. The filthier the restaurant is, the better the food tastes. Hah, there’s a Road Food rule, never eat in a place with a clean floor. The one Chinese place that stands out in my mind was in Appleton Wisconsin. The waitress was just a mess and the place was a dive, anytime we went to visit the college we would go there. It’s to long ago to remember the name.

I sincerely hope you are not serious??? I question the roadfood rule you mentioned.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/27 08:21:43 (permalink)
    I second Paul. Hole in the wall is ok but filth is another.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 718
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/27 17:09:37 (permalink)
    An "A" sticker on the door and good BBQ do seem to be mutally exclusive.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/27 17:57:12 (permalink)
    Chinese food is all over the place and presents itself in many different ways, from gourmet to take out, to delivery and to Chinese buffet. It does not present itself as road food and thus is not considered road food.

Chinese food can be road food and is well adapted to be road food. All that is really needed is for some Chinese restaurant entrepreneurs to present themselves as road food places. Sooner or later some brave souls will take the risk and Chinese road food will be established as much as a genuine road food cuisine as any other.
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/27 18:31:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

Chinese food is all over the place and presents itself in many different ways, from gourmet to take out, to delivery and to Chinese buffet. It does not present itself as road food and thus is not considered road food.

I disagree to an extent. I think Chinese food can be considered roadfood but only in places where it would be considered regional meaning with large populations of Chinese Immigrants such as San Francisco, Seattle, New York etc. I wouldn't consider Chinese Food in Detroit Des Moines or Atlanta to be Road Food because the Chinese population is relatively small. I know someone out there in Atlanta will say that there is a HUGE population of Chinese Immigrants out there, but trust me- There Isn't!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/27 18:55:09 (permalink)
    i do think that ANY ethnic food--done well!!!--and reasonably priced--is roadfood---but i know that of two best chinese places i ever ate in --one WAS definately roadfood---an awesome vegitarian chinese place in an older strip mall on El Camino Real on the Penisula north of San Jose Ca--will have to find some notes for the name--of call my siter in law---and the other---was definatly NOT roadfood--Very good--exquisite in fact--and VERY expensive--but a bit too elegant for me-But WJ has a point--i know that San Franciso has TONS of chinese places that i would have no trouble calling "Roadworthy"--Renties ville Oklahoma--doe NOT!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/27 23:41:45 (permalink)
    I agree with WJ as well. Vancouver B.C, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, all have large Chinese populations with excellent places to eat. My favorites are bakeries with shrimp encased in pastry
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5635
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/28 02:57:38 (permalink)
    Roadfood or not I love a GOOD Chinese buffett. I'm fortunate to have 2 of these in my area. The new one in Martinsburg makes a pepper shrimp that I really love. They also do a seafood bake that is really good. Matter of fact even PP likes this place. This is one of those large 30 or 40 items place but the food is kept fresh and hot.

The other is in Winchester, Va., and they have a small lunch buffett and a Wed & Sunday night buffett. They have about 8 hot dishes and they make all the food in small batches. This place also has great menu service. They recently added a Sushi bar and they make some pretty good decently priced sushi.

There is a small been there forever place in the Tower District of Fresno that has some of the very best Chinese I've ever eaten. I've eaten and numerous places in SF anf NYC but this place takes them all.

MikeS.
    stricken_detective
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2772
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/10/28 21:15:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stricken_detective

If you're ever in Waukesha, Wisconsin, go to Kim's Garden on Sunset Drive. Order the Chicken w/Peanut, medium spicy, the Beef On A Stick appetizer, Orange Beef, Shrimp szechuan, everything is good! :)
    I stand by my statement. I like this place, the food is excellent & I don't think they even have a buffet.
    syzygy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/12/12 16:06:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

There is a small been there forever place in the Tower District of Fresno that has some of the very best Chinese I've ever eaten. I've eaten and numerous places in SF anf NYC but this place takes them all.

MikeS.

Tower District in Fresno = Golden Chinese. We will drive from anywhere in town for their food. and we use their food as the standard to rate other chinese restaurants. the best "hot and sour" soup ever - great for migraines and hangovers.
    syzygy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/12/12 16:28:34 (permalink)
    If the definition of roadfood means the food has to reflect the local cuisine, then i recommend the "china doll" in harvey. (that's in jefferson parish near new orleans.) they add local seafood to their menu, kind of a cross between cajun and chinese. the crab rangoon is fabulous!!! and they have items with shrimp, scallops, etc. wonderful service, great food, good prices - i can't say enough about how wonderful they are. oh, and they are open
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/12/13 03:00:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

I think a current thread on the BBQ forum entitled"When does an ethnic food become roadfood?" provides an excellent answer from Michael Stern on this very issue.

Here's what he says--to make it easy for everybody:

quote:
    As I see it, the quintessential Roadfood restaurant is unique to its place or region, i.e. an only-in-Texas barbecue, or an eat-in-the-rough clam shack along Yankee shores. Ethnic food can be iffy in that sense, because a great Vietnamese restaurant in Portland isn't likely all that much different from a great Vietnamese restaurant in Omaha. On the other hand, the German restaurants you'll find in Milwaukee, or the Polish restaurants in Chicago, or the Basque restaurants in Nevada, or the Chinese restaurants around Sacramento, strike me as unique to their place (i.e. you wouldn't find them in Munich, Warsaw, Spain, or Beijing). On the third hand ( ): as Frank said, if you yearn to return, I'm all for including it, whatever it may be.

I find this slightly incomprehensible. Perhaps if he explained what makes the Chinese restaurants around Sacramento different from the ones in other places, it would help. But I can assure him and everyone that the highest quality Chinese food available in New York and San Francisco is NOT the same as that available in small towns, especially in the midwest and south. Niether is the best quality Vietnamese food for that matter. Is the Basque cooking in Nevada unique to the Basque country in Iberia or to Nevada? Not so long ago there were a number of Basque boarding houses in San Francisco where the Nevada herders would come and gather for the winter. Did the fact that their cooking was then available outside Nevada mean it wasn't any longer Roadfood? I've never had German food in Milwaukee, but I've had it in most cities where I've spent any time (including, but not counting, Munich and Heidelberg)--the best was probably in Baltimore (Hausner's). I think Michael's comments confuse the best examples of their type, wherever they may be found, with uniqueness. If so, he is simply saying Roadfood is GOOD food. I'll certainly agree with that.

As far as I'm concerned, the few places that serve exemplary (in the original sense of the word) Chinese food, made with some effort at authenticity, certainly qualify as Roadfood. An example I'll site, which I tried after Gary Soup recommended it here, is the Shanghai Dumpling Shop in San Francisco--a small, family run place specializing in Shanghai style dumplings of various types including superb "soup dumplings". I haven't yet tried similar places in New York, but I expect them to also qualify as "Roadfood". The average Chinese-American chop suey parlor in small town America may not (we can debate that if you wish).
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/12/13 09:21:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

Hello,

Any comments?

Senor

I really don't know that many chinese places that worth being mentioned.

I know of, only one good one, in this whole area and it is not a buffet.
    I did have a favorite Chinese palce with a great buffet, but this was long before chinese buffets were so popular and it went out of business 25 years ago!
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/12/13 10:22:42 (permalink)
    this may be a little late but just to the subject of location as it regards food all i can say is i live in nyc (where there is plenty of good chinese, had dinner at shun lee west last night) but one of the best chinese meals i have had was in the little town of dublin georgia. probably the best food in town other than bbq and always fresh cooked. sorry i can't remember the name but i'm pretty sure it's the only one in town. i used to eat there regularly when i went there for business. good bbq joint in town as well but damned if can remember the name just know it's down the road from the holiday inn.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/12/13 11:45:13 (permalink)
    Over the years, there have been several threads on Chinese restaurants, Chinese buffets, and recipes for specific Chinese dishes. You'll just have to search and do some digging to find them.

That said, I agree that the quality of food at most Chinese buffets is not anywhere near what you get at a traditional Chinese restaurant where you order off the menu. We enjoy going to a local Chinese buffet occasionally, mainly for the sushi and crablegs which are added to the buffet on Friday and Sat evenings. Hard to beat all-you-can-eat crablegs (and steamed clams too) for $11.

For really excellent Chinese food, we go to the Wokery off Buffalo Rd. in Gates. Recently, there was a thread about pressed duck and how hard it is to find. The Wokery has it on their menu, and one of these days, I'm going to try it.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1513
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/12/13 11:56:01 (permalink)
    Originally posted by MikeSh
    quote:

MikeS.

Ok, spill it.. which one? btw, have you ever enjoyed Imperial Garden's dim sum? or that tiny little place on the corner of Clovis and Kings Canyon that's older than me?
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1507
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/12/13 23:05:51 (permalink)
    My favorite Chinese restaurant, The Canton Tea Garden, just off Journal Square, Jersey City, NJ., alas closed down about a year ago, after being around since the 1930s. It was on the 2nd floor, above retail stores.

It was a very large place, probably the length and width of about 1/3 of a football field, and was art deco/Eastern in design. You expected Bogart to come in at any moment to meet an old contact in the international intrigue game.

There were tables throughout, and a dance floor that perhaps was used on rare occasions, but apparently was once a mainstay.

There were Oriental-detailed, carved booths around 1/2 the perimeter. One booth, where a scene was shot for "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" (1995), was velvet-roped off. What a place.

Sometimes I think I dreamt it.

The food was a throwback, before take out places made everything so nouvelle. The Chow Mein was dark. The fried rice was dark. The spare ribs were consistently good.

It wasn't gourmet, but the total deal always made it a satisfying experience. What's more, it was so large that there was never a wait

You took an elevator up to the restaurant. But if you wanted, you could walk up one flight of marble stairs...worn marble stairs, the kind that made you think, "if stairs could talk."

Places come and go. There is no more Mama Leone's; no Jack Dempsey's, etc.

All of which makes you think about your favorite places to eat, be it a hash house or a la de da, tres, tres chic. It's akin to similar lessons, about friends, moments and opportunities. Gather your spare ribs, won tons and fried rice, while ye may.

The Bear
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 561
    RE: Why no Chinese food featured? 2005/12/14 01:18:47 (permalink)
    ScreenBear:
    I think it is the Mister Wok in Tenafly which resembles that restaurant in Jersey City....it is on the second floor of a building, above a Korean nail salon, right opposite that train depot in the center of town.

Great food, a mix of old time Chinese-American favorites, along with solid Hunanese-Cantonese-Mandarin dishes.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5