Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5823
2014/07/14 21:37:56 (permalink)

Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin?

I made an asinine comment in another thread implying that hotdogs are children’s food. I come to this belief from living most of my life in Wisconsin, where hotdogs are rarely consumed in public by adults nor served at most restaurants.

There are a few hotdog purveyors cashing in within the state on Chicago Style-allegiances, but these are not native and are relatively new. There are also a few chains serving hotdogs (A&W, Dairy Queen and Sonic come to mind, as well as the $1.50 combo meal at Sam’s and Costco).  But hotdogs , with the exception of kids meals, are not typical restaurant fare within the state. Even at a ballgame, I think a bratwurst is more likely to be eaten by an adult than a hotdog.

Frankly, I would never think of going in search of a restaurant, food-truck, or hotdog cart prepared hotdog. If I see one available I might bite, but I have never left the house saying “I need to have someone cook a hotdog for me today.” Maybe it’s something in Wisconsinites’ frugality (i.e., Why would we pay someone to prepare something that we can do just as well at home?).

Going full circle here, I grew up in Madison in the distant haze of Oscar Mayer’s hog kill and their hotdogs were always a staple in my mother’s kitchen. In recent years I have tried many butcher prepared natural casing wieners from all around Wisconsin. Usinger’s, Konops, Miefelds and most others would challenge the best national brands in any taste test. I have found all kinds of other small batch butchers’ wieners available in rural markets and grocers. No matter the name or price, they were simply far superior to any vacu-packed mass-produced hotdog I can find anywhere.

I’m not sure if its irony or tragedy, the best wieners in the United States go unsung and under appreciated within their home state, while elsewhere mediocre hot dogs that need to be disguised by Greek meat sauce, bacon, or bad coleslaw are held in the highest esteem. And even within Wisconsin, these delicacies are left in the shadow of their coarser big brother – the bratwurst.

Going back to that poll, there is no Wisconsin hot dog restaurant that would warrant a tour.

54 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23273
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/14 21:47:49 (permalink)
    I'm just guessing here, but maybe it has something to do with a mentality that thinks wearing things on the head that resemble wedges of Swiss cheese is perfectly normal.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/14 21:49:42 (permalink)
    Ummm. That's unusual?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/14 22:05:27 (permalink)
    Now that's what I mean. I have a son-in-law who spent some time in Wisconsin and he alternates wearing a piece of cheese and a Packers football helmet while watching Green Bay games on television.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3686
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/14 22:55:36 (permalink)
    When bubblers become drinking fountains and soda becomes pop, Wisconsin will discover a hot dog culture. Until then, the brat remains king of Wisconsin encased meats and Milwaukee remains a burger town, both washed down with an iced cold beer.

CSD
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 05:25:05 (permalink)
    The chances that hot dogs will become more popular than Brats in Wisconsin are about as good as the chances of the Packers moving to Los Angeles!!!!!!!!!!! " />".
    Keysey42
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 08:17:41 (permalink)
    Why settle for a hot dog when you've got brats? That said, Wisconsin may not have a hot dog culture as such, but between Oscar Mayer, Boar's Head, Johnsonville, Klements, Cudahay and my personal favorite, Usinger's, the state produces a helluva lot of them, and they're tasty. And the hot dog is represented in the Sausage Race at Miller Park... doesn't that count?
    post edited by Keysey42 - 2014/07/15 08:18:56
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 08:57:37 (permalink)
    Keysey42 - But even brats are rarely seen on menus outside of Sheboygan County. For being such a sausage obsessed state, I don't often find restaurants serving them in Wisconsin.
    Keysey42
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 09:37:37 (permalink)
    I have noticed that. Perhaps it's because people just buy the sausage and cook it at home. I think ChicagoStyle makes a good point, too — for whatever reason, the hamburger does appear to be king in Wisconsin. We'll be heading to Milwaukee in a week and a half. We'll visit the State Fair (cream puffs!) and take side trips to Door County and New Glarus, and I plan to report on the eating we do. I'll note how many places we go have sausage on the menu, and what kinds. But you're right — it is a puzzlement how a state that produces so much excellent sausage doesn't give rise to more restaurants and vendors that serve it.
    ALL GOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 13:32:44 (permalink)
    The best chance of finding a cooked hot dog on a bun in WI is at local grocery stores where they let groups set up fundraisers and sell the cheapest tube steaks in buns with a bag of generic chips and a generic can of soda for $1.50 or $1.75.  We have one restaurant I've found with good dogs... one...Dr. Dawg which is a chain.... Growing up in WI, you just don't go somewhere looking for hot dogs.. You search for custard and the best bacon cheeseburger you can find...hot dogs are things that babysitters cook for little kids here. 
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 13:36:53 (permalink)
    ALL GOOD - That's what I said on the other thread, then I thought I was being too nasty. I started wondering what we are missing here.
    ALL GOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 13:50:48 (permalink)
    JRPfeff - That wasn't too nasty. it's just the truth.  We're missing out on good dogs is what we're missing.  Excellent butcher shop dogs in Germantown at the House of Homemade Sausage if you get out there at all.  Excellent homemade butcher shop everything at that place. They have hungarian hot dogs.  Never seen that before. Hungarian brats but not hot dogs.
    mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 14:27:10 (permalink)
    Thank heavens for Church Bingo and Little League ball games......  I have still not made the decision on which is better - - Konops or Unsingers, but after partaking of a few hundred of each of them at community celebrations, I might be able to make a decision...  And since I no longer eat bread or rolls,  they kind of see me coming and I have been served a plate of encased dogs cradled in a nest of sauerkraut with a decoration of brown mustard and a little cup of cheese sauce on the side - - and don't forget the stack of dill pickles for a garnish.... 

And they can certainly recognize me and see me coming on my totally 'pimped out' scooter adorned with Black and Gold decals and a Pittsburgh Steelers flag flying proudly!!!!!  It was a bit grim around here a couple of years ago, though.....  I think that the dang newspaper was printed with green ink for a month or so, and I have never seen a Sunday newspaper before that has a Sports section AND a Packers section...  Sheesh.....

I do have to settle for a brat occasionally, but that is okay, too.....  And Schuster's bar, here in Denmark has the best fishfry I have found outside of the 'Burgh!!!!!  Perch and/or Walleye in season, and occasionally other specials appear on their menu - - and my Scooter fits through the door with no problem!!!!!! 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 16:43:06 (permalink)
    Mamaduck 43,
    You'll need to put chains on your scooter and go out on a lake and catch your own perch & Walleye!
    Did you move from Hawaii to WI?
    Culture Shock! 
    mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 17:02:53 (permalink)
    Tell me about it!!!!  I moved from Hawaii to Colorado Springs, CO - - my younger daughter and her gang live there, and I had lived there in the early '70's....  Then I moved to Denmark, WI (about 15 miles south of Lambeau Field) to be with my older daughter and her gang...  We had shared a couple of houses in Hawaii and I really feel at home here - - I live in a 55+ community about 3 miles from their house.... 
    Lots of things here remind me of growing up in the Pittsburgh area - - the foods, the culture, the love of family and education and a fantastic school system that has become so much a part of our lives...  Getting back to a school system where the teachers honestly 'care' about their students was exciting and very welcomed.... 
    The foods here are wonderful - - butcher shops, bakeries and OMG, the cheeses!!!!  I still have not found an Asian restaurant that comes up to my standards after 25+ years in the Islands, but I have learned to cook many of my favorites at home and that will have to do..... 
    My eldest granddaughter is engaged to a fisherman from close to Lake Superior - - he has brought some of his talents to our tables on occasion....  My idea of fishing is throwing a baitless hook overboard, then I curl up with a good book....  Sigh....
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3686
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 18:30:26 (permalink)
    Wisconsin is the Triple B state: burgers, beer, and brats. Want a great brat, purchase it at the grocery store or butcher shop and make it yourself. Wisconsin is the land of the Friday Fish Fry and home of the supper club with the relish tray. In Wisconsin, we don't really care what your GPA was in high school or college. More importantly, your BAL is the more respected number. Jim, didn't you graduate college with a 3.8 BAL?

CSD
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/15 19:32:14 (permalink)
    CSD - You've been talking to my classmates.
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1542
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/16 08:31:53 (permalink)
    How to make a hot dog culture:
    1) Take a hot dog.
    2) Keep it at room temperature.
    3) Wait.
    4) Wait.
    5) Wait.

Bart
    Phildelmar
    • Total Posts : 1221
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/16 10:11:53 (permalink)
    Not much of a hot dog culture here in Delaware either.
    eruby
    • Total Posts : 1061
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/16 10:24:07 (permalink)
    Phildelmar

But you have The Dog House, so you got that going for you, which is nice. 

Phildelmar
    • Total Posts : 1221
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/16 12:07:15 (permalink)
    The Dog House is good but there isn't much else that I know of
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 427
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/16 14:32:06 (permalink)
    Phildelmar

The Dog House in New Castle is a great place.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/16 16:30:28 (permalink)
    I can't help wondering, is there any culture in Wisconsin?
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 779
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/16 22:05:04 (permalink)
    Back in the heyday of the railroads, The Milwaukee Road used to have on their premiere trains, a car called, "The Tip Top Tap Tavern Car" ---- only in Wisconsin. 

The Milwaukee Brewers at their home games have a perch in the ballpark for about 100 people where Miller will bring 100 people from a local tavern to the ballgame and they get announced on the telecast.. "Nat's from Oshkosh is today's Miller Tavern of the Game."  Have an internet friend who got to go on one of those  - Miller pays for buses  - and feeds them and beers them all game! 
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 779
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/16 22:37:54 (permalink)
    'Hot dog culture' really peters out once you get past Chicago...after Chitown, the pigs and cows take over.  I would bet that between Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas, one would be hard pressed to find more than a dozen - or less - decent dog joints.  

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11916
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/16 22:54:00 (permalink)
    I can only think of one in Iowa and that would be Bob's Drive-In in LeMars.  They serve locally made Wimmer's hot dogs that "snap" and they top them with loosemeats.  A very good dog.
    mr. sausage
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 141
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/17 00:59:03 (permalink)
    "The Dog House in New Castle is a great place."

I lived in Old New Castle back in the mid 90s and used to hit up that joint. I got cheesesteaks as often as dogs.

My wife's uncle just retired from a sausage factory in Denmark, WI. He kept the books, was there for years. I'd like to ask him his thoughts on the lack of a hot dog culture in Wisconsin.

It seems like the places that have this "culture" eat a lot of mass produced franks that need a lot of extras to make them interesting. Not that I haven't indulged in my fair share of VB, Sabrett, Hatfield etc over the years.
    post edited by mr. sausage - 2014/07/17 01:48:02
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/07/17 07:22:07 (permalink)
    Lou - The Tip Top Tavern is in Madison close to the rail yard & Oscar Mayer. It has been there forever. No hot dogs on their menu, but you can get fried bologna.

Jim
    post edited by JRPfeff - 2014/07/17 08:36:41
    pineyhill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2014/08/20 20:30:19 (permalink)
    Well we have a pretty decent place in La Crosse called Chicago's Beef and Etc. the owner is a transplant from Chicago area, they had owned Marcos I & II.

http://www.chicagosbeef.com/
    Phil from Philly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: Why no hotdog “culture” in Wisconsin? 2016/04/29 08:38:35 (permalink)
    I'm surprised that they don't. It seems like all of the other Great Lakes states and cities have distinct styles of hot dogs - Chicago, Detroit's "Coney Island," and upstate NY all come to mind.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5