Will Be in OH/IN/KY This September

Author
phlmaestro
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1061
2019/05/07 20:56:44 (permalink)

Will Be in OH/IN/KY This September

My wife and I are going to be visiting our friends in Bloomington, IN, shortly after Labor Day. I plan on taking a food-centered side-trip to the Henderson, KY-Evansville, IN area, where longtime poster Louis Hatchett and I will be doing some eating. I just thought I'd put it up here in case anyone in that region or who may be visiting that region during the same period would want to join us for a meal or multiple meals. 

I plan on arriving in Henderson around lunch-time on Monday, Sept. 9. The tentative plan is for us to have lunch that day at Brown Bag Burgers, where they make Roadfood Fried Chicken, which has been written about many times on here. I have to point out that Louis has warned me that Brown Bag has not consistently been making the chicken by the recipe lately. He's going to talk to them before hand about it. But Plan B would be Mr. D's fried chicken in Henderson. And we can go there even if we do get the good chicken at Brown Bag if there is a desire to do that. I had the chicken at Mr. D's the last time I was in Henderson and consider it to be the best fried chicken I've ever had (I haven't had nearly as much fried chicken as a lot of people on here though). The chicken served at Brown Bag Burgers wasn't available during that visit.

For dinner that night, we're planning on driving south to Madisonville to eat barbecue at Dave's Sticky Pig, which Louis is very high on. They specialize in both pork ribs and pulled pork. 

On Tuesday the 10th, I'm thinking I'd like to have some smoked mutton for lunch, possible at Peak Bros. in Waverly. For dinner that night, we're going to a place called The House of Como in Evansville. Louis has been raving about their steaks (and they are huge in the online photos), and the photos of the exterior I've seen are pretty spectacular from an "out of another era" roadfood standpoint. 

On Wednesday the 11th, I'm driving back to Bloomington and intend to stop for lunch at the New White Steamer in Washington, IN, for an onion-fried cheeseburger and probably a chocolate malt.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/08/12 15:13:52

4 Replies Related Threads

Louis
    • Total Posts : 1332
    Re: Will Be in the Henderson, KY Area This September 2019/05/08 10:02:05 (permalink)
    I'll be here waiting for you.  Anyone who wants to join us, you are most welcome to come.

phlmaestro
    Re: Will Be in the Henderson, KY Area This September 2019/08/12 15:03:07 (permalink)
    I thought I'd bring this back to the top as I'm now less than a month from heading West.

In addition to the above, my wife and I intend to have our first dinner of the trip, on Friday, Sept. 6, at Ding Ho in Columbus. They came up for significant discussion on a Chinese food thread in the past year and I decided to stick to my intention of checking them out.  I'm still toying with the idea of getting a steak there. I think it was Michael Hoffman who said he used to go there for steaks and that they were very good. I would get something Chinese for a appetizer or side.

The next afternoon, Saturday, Sept. 7, we'll be having lunch at Shapiro's in Indianapolis.

If anyone would like to join us at any of these places, feel free to drop me a line.

I'm hoping for a meal at Gray Bros., Sunday, Sept. 8, but it will likely be with a group of my wife's friends.

My other trip meals are not quite as locked in as the above. I'm still deciding between two places in Eastern Indiana for the trip home and am not sure where we'll be eating with our friends who we always visit in Pittsburgh on our way back from the Midwest.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23195
    Re: Will Be in the Henderson, KY Area This September 2019/08/12 20:00:26 (permalink)
    I did say I'd always get a steak at Ding Ho. However, I've not been there in a very long time -- ten or more years.
    phlmaestro
    Re: Will Be in the Henderson, KY Area This September 2019/08/12 20:47:25 (permalink)
    I'll see what I'm in the mood for that night. I may decide to hold off on steak in anticipation of going to the House of Como in Evansville a few nights later. 

I don't think I've ever ordered American food at a Chinese restaurant. The "different" factor is somewhat appealing to me, especially if it would turn out to be a good steak.  But I also would probably be perfectly happy with Sweet & Sour Shrimp or Shrimp with Lobster Sauce.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5