William Least Heat Moon

Author
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2606
2019/02/22 22:52:29 (permalink)

William Least Heat Moon

I remember buying his Blue Highways book when I was a kid, not even old enough to drive. Good remembrance here https://www.nytimes.com/2...p-personal-travel.html

2 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9046
    Re: William Least Heat Moon 2019/02/23 09:22:11 (permalink)
    A very good article, and I now feel I need to read Blue Highways...I'm curious as to which model Instamatic was used for the photos.  Amazon has it but in the spirit of the blue highways themselves, I'll try to find a copy through a local bookseller (even though they'll probably get it from Amazon anyway).

"Perhaps people still plot road trips in the way my friends and I did in the 1980s, but I doubt it. We used to game everything out beforehand, laying in supplies in the manner of the ancient explorers. Music, food, places to stop: Everything had to be pre-assembled via mixtape, ballpoint pen and map."

We're still around.  I prefer the radio to a mixtape and I use word processing software to write out my itineraries, but I still use some form of map (online or paper) when planning a trip.  And if I'm going to be driving any distance through a state, a DeLorme Gazetteer is a must.
    scrumptiouschef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re: William Least Heat Moon 2019/02/23 20:14:45 (permalink)
    You used to see the book at every thrift store in town.

Lord knows how many copies have been sold.

I've still got plenty old Rand-McNally road atlases.

They're still making them-year 95-was just marked.

We always planned our trips around what bands were playing and where we were going to eat.

I've got a 1st edition Roadfood that I bought before I was old enough to drive. It's falling apart.

I used to subscribe to Pollstar, that was the bible for traveling to see concerts. Oh, and I've still got dozens of old cassette mixtapes. It's fun to pull them out and see what I was listening to when I was a teen.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5