Wisconsin "Pizza Fries"

Author
shipwrekkt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2015/02/05 21:04:47 (permalink)

Wisconsin "Pizza Fries"

Hello,
Canadian here, from the Maritime Provinces (Nova Scotia, to be exact). We have a regional dish here called garlic fingers, that are very popular. Wikipedia tells me that there is a similar dish in Wisconsin called "pizza fries". Was wondering the extent to which these are prevalent, and whether or not they are constructed the same way. What are they dipped in? Thanks!

post edited by shipwrekkt - 2015/02/05 21:07:27

8 Replies Related Threads

easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 664
    Re: Wisconsin "Pizza Fries" 2015/02/06 05:16:36 (permalink)
    Hello shipwrekkt, welcome aboard and hope you like the site.

I've lived in several Wisconsin cities, and can say that "pizza fries" or otherwise known as "cheese fries" do occasionally pop up on menus here, mainly in pizza joints.  They are not everywhere, but found often enough to be well known.

I never did understand why the name included the word "fries," because basically a serving looks like a cheese pizza, cut in elongated strips, and then one center cut the other way to create long thin pieces easy to pick up and eat.

Can't show you a picture, as trying to google both "cheese fries" and "pizza fries" only brings up the potato variety.

But there is a recent thread here about "Quad City" pizza, with a picture, in which the cuts are similar.

Just as info, here is a menu and review for a place I enjoyed, Springville Wharf in Stevens Point WI.  For the review, you will see everyone really enjoyed them, and they call them "cheese fries" here.  For the menu, scroll all the way to the bottom, where they are the last entry, and described as the house specialty.

And they are served with marinara, and here they even offer them without cheese, crust only, I guess, never tried that.  Maybe there would be seasonings included.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/cities/322-wisconsin/restaurants/1320709-springville-wharf-restaurant/menu

http://www.tripadvisor.co...-Plover_Wisconsin.html

I always liked them, but they do seem pretty much like a real good cheese pizza.

And I'll bet they are quite like your garlic fingers.  Garlic cheese bread is easy to find here too, and of course breadsticks without cheese.
    shipwrekkt
    Junior Burger
    Re: Wisconsin "Pizza Fries" 2015/02/06 16:01:34 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply. Love the site, and I recently just bought one of the associated books. I just wish there was Canadian content.

Just to clarify - these pizza/cheese fries - they have garlic butter on them? Or are they just cheese and herbs on pizza dough?

SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1094
    Re: Wisconsin "Pizza Fries" 2015/02/06 16:29:25 (permalink)
    We have a pizza place that cuts their pizza like that, but had no idea it was actually called something. Very interesting!
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Wisconsin "Pizza Fries" 2015/02/06 17:40:23 (permalink)
    Hey, shipwrekkt, sorry I didn't notice that you've been here for a while now, stopped reading too soon....but glad to talk to you anyway!

To answer your question about the garlic butter, it's been a while since I paid attention, and I'd have to look around.  But I would think it would vary from place to place, or even different choices on the same menu.  Sounds like it might be added as an option, either above or below the cheese.

Anyway, I guess I didn't google enough before, 'cause now I tried 'pizza fries wisconsin' (not just 'wi') and got some good hits for both names, pizza and cheese fries. Which includes the pizza products from Pep's Pizza, a Wisconsin offshoot of good ol' Tombstone Pizza, famous around here.

Here's the home page for Pep's.  Click on 'Products' and will see a box for 'Pizza Fries and More.'  Click on that and will see a picture of their pizza fries, and the cut, and the dipping sauce.

But now I want some garlic butter!

http://www.pepspizza.com/

I think we can probably find it every which way.  

But tell us -- is there cheese on those garlic fingers of yours?

...cheese curds and gravy....?...naw....

easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Wisconsin "Pizza Fries" 2015/02/06 17:51:56 (permalink)
    Here is how cheese/pizza fries are cut, the first picture in Ketteract's excellent story of his trip back home.

By the way, forgot to mention -- if you bothered to check the menu of the Springville Wharf, where you'd have to scroll all the way to the bottom, to find the item, note that they say please allow 25-30 minutes for preparation.  Must be the crust.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/A-food-tour-of-the-QuadCities-IAIL-border-m765403.aspx

easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Wisconsin "Pizza Fries" 2015/02/06 18:15:57 (permalink)
    Okay, sorry, but of course I should have mentioned that 'Garlic Butter' (or whatever they call the butter substitute) is huge everywhere, dipping sauce and more.  Often included among other free condiments in many places.  Or for sale cheap.

shipwrekkt
    Junior Burger
    Re: Wisconsin "Pizza Fries" 2015/02/07 02:04:42 (permalink)
    easydoesit - Yes, indeed, our garlic fingers have cheese on them (some places have a cheese-free option, but this isn't commonly ordered). And while poutine pizza does exist - it is also not common! 

Looking at the package for Pep's pizza fries, I noticed in the description that it is apparently just cheese and herbs. Whereas by their very definition, garlic fingers have garlic butter on them. They are often paired with donair sauce, which is a sweet white sauce that comes on our regional version of the doner kebab or gyro - the Halifax Donair.

Apparently I cannot attach links or pictures, but if you Google garlic fingers it should show up. Or "garlic fingers" and "Nova Scotia". Even better.
    post edited by shipwrekkt - 2015/02/07 02:07:13
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9240
    Re: Wisconsin "Pizza Fries" 2015/02/07 22:30:42 (permalink)
    shipwrekkt
    Just to clarify - these pizza/cheese fries - they have garlic butter on them? Or are they just cheese and herbs on pizza dough?

Cranky Pat's in the northeast part of the state refers to them as Cranky Sticks, and they're made with garlic butter.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5