Work-related trips to St. Louis

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7741
2017/02/17 21:41:01 (permalink)

Work-related trips to St. Louis

It looks like for about the next year or so my job's going to be taking me to St. Louis (Fenton, actually) for multi-day visits every so often.  I'll likely be staying at the Drury Inn Southwest near I-44 and MO-141 so there are a few options in the area; Sugarfire Smokehouse is a 6-restaurant St. Louis mini-chain that my coworkers rave about and 1 of the spots is within walking distance, and just up 141 in Valley Park is a place called Young's Restaurant and Ice Creamery that's been in business since 1954.  Plus I'll probably have transportation at least some of the time so hopefully I'll be able to get out a little bit and check out some other parts of the St. Louis metro area as Fenton does seem to have a lot of chain restaurants, although Viviano's Festa Italiano looks promising.

I probably won't be alone on some of the trips so I'm looking forward to steering my traveling companions toward RF-known places like Cozy Dog, The Dr. of BBQ, Ariston Cafe, etc. as we traverse I-39 and I-55.  Should be interesting!

14 Replies Related Threads

ChiBears15
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/02/17 22:50:52 (permalink)
    Looking forward to seeing your photos!  Try finding some places that aren't very well known, but are Roadfood gems. 

Danny
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5583
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/02/18 01:22:00 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

I probably won't be alone on some of the trips so I'm looking forward to steering my traveling companions toward RF-known places like...The Dr. of BBQ...etc....

I'm sorry to report The Dr. of BBQ is retired from the business.  He's in good health and busy doing other things, but you'll need to look elsewhere for good 'Que in Springfield.

If you're looking for other suggestions for that area, check out my Springfield pitch in the (paraphrased) "2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination" thread.

Buddy
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/02/18 07:32:04 (permalink)
    Thanks, Buddy.  It's good to know that his retirement is on his own terms.

ChiBears15
    Looking forward to seeing your photos!  Try finding some places that aren't very well known, but are Roadfood gems.

I'll be relying on my MO-based coworkers for advice in this area and I'll bet they'll have some good suggestions, but I might not bring out the camera right away.  Although it really doesn't matter because they're probably going to think I'm a little bit off anyway...
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4732
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/02/18 13:09:26 (permalink)
    Brad,

Try using your cellphone for food pictures and you might just fit in with the other kids.

Jim
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22467
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/02/18 14:04:37 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    Brad,

Try using your cellphone for food pictures and you might just fit in with the other kids.

Jim

That's a good idea. Especially considering that he turned down my offer of a brick of Kodachrome 64 at a good price.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/02/28 10:21:33 (permalink)
    Store that Kodachrome in your freezer.  If anyone ever fires up a K-14 lab you'll have no problem unloading it.

This morning I pitched the idea of sampling some snoots and slingers to my coworkers.  To say their reception was lukewarm at best is a pretty big overstatement...
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22467
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/02/28 11:54:46 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Store that Kodachrome in your freezer.  If anyone ever fires up a K-14 lab you'll have no problem unloading it.

This morning I pitched the idea of sampling some snoots and slingers to my coworkers.  To say their reception was lukewarm at best is a pretty big overstatement...

It is in my freezer, and if I could get it processed I wouldn't be willing to unload it.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/04/03 12:14:42 (permalink)
    After checking the map it appears I'll finally get a chance to eat at The Cajun Connection as well as sample some Illinois River Valley fried chicken, which should be interesting.  My first solo trip starts this coming Sunday...
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5583
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/04/03 15:13:54 (permalink)
    Get there early, or be prepared for a long wait.

Buddy
    KingCrab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 134
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/04/03 17:31:49 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    After checking the map it appears I'll finally get a chance to eat at The Cajun Connection as well as sample some Illinois River Valley fried chicken, which should be interesting.  My first solo trip starts this coming Sunday...

My neck of the woods -  the IRV

CC has been solid as always  - was just there for the mudbug boil on the 23rd -

Current IRV Fried Chicken Rankings -

#1 Rips - Ladd
    #1a Sip N Snack - Mendota
    #3 Wedron Office - Wedron
    #4 Verruchis - Spring Valley
    #5 Smittys - Leonore

Keep in mind Rips and Sip-n-Snack have odd hours -

Johns North Star in Lasalle & Monaris 101 also in Lassallle - both once in the top 5 have both re-opened  - I have yet to revisit them - Word is they are using the same recipe -

Now if you can do me  the solid of a Lake Perch recommendation for a Tuesday night in the Stoughton, WI area I would appreciate that - Right now leaning towards the Owls Nest in Poynette.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/04/03 17:52:26 (permalink)
    Thanks, KC...you've given me some good leads!  If you're around on one of my travel days (some Sundays and midday Thursdays) you're quite welcome to join me for a meal.  How far south does the IRV reach?

Speaking of Ladd, I emailed the L-P newspaper to ask if anyone had bought Lanuti's but haven't heard back.  Rip's opens at 2:30 on Sundays and would be a place to visit right then as it gets busy in a hurry.

Thanks for mentioning John's North Star; I'd already added it to my list but didn't know that it had closed and then reopened.  Any idea of the reasons?

Along with Verruchi's Spring Valley has 2 other Italian restaurants and it's not that big of a town - what's up with that?

Tuesday night lake perch...that's a good question as a lot of places around here offer perch only on Fridays.  You could try Toby's on Madison's southeast side but otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss for anything close to I-90.  However, if you do end up at Owl's Nest you might be able to save some money here.  If your request isn't for tomorrow night I'll see what I can come up with, and in the meantime the Madison Fish Fry site might be of use to you.

Buddy, Cajun Connection opens at noon on Sundays and Google Maps says it's just under 2 hours from my house.  Shouldn't be too tough to be there when the doors open.
    KingCrab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 134
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/04/03 19:14:51 (permalink)
    Unless there is a crawfish boil Sunday lunch is rarely crowded at Cajun Connection.

Lenutis still for sale.

Johns North Star- same ownership, newspaper said after closing the owner couldn't find work in the field he has a masters degree in. Same recipe for the bird, used to be a contender.

Italian in the valley, Italian coal miners populated the area, mixed in with miners from Kentucky and Appalachia.

I like Toby's a lot, might be plan B if I don't want to venture up to Owls Nest.

Enjoy your trip.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/04/23 21:50:14 (permalink)
    KC, I stopped at Cajun Connection 2 weeks ago and the line of bikers waiting to get in was 15 deep.  This has been my experience all 4 times I've stopped, but this time I stuck around to eat.

John's North Star is currently open 11-8 on Sundays but they're switching back to the 9-1 breakfast buffet and the 4-8 evening service starting Mothers' Day.  If the chicken I had today was any indication I can see why it was highly ranked in the past.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Work-related trips to St. Louis 2017/05/27 22:59:10 (permalink)
    KingCrab
    Johns North Star- same ownership, newspaper said after closing the owner couldn't find work in the field he has a masters degree in. Same recipe for the bird, used to be a contender.

No complaints from me, this was a nice quarter with good crunch and good flavor and I can't remember the last time I had one whole.

post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2017/05/29 16:30:04
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5