Helpful ReplyWoulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List

Author
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5844
2019/07/23 13:53:26 (permalink)

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List

A lesson from the ChiTownDiner.

Among Gregg's awesome attributes was his obsession to do EVERYTHING NOW.
  • Order half of that menu.
  • Squeeze in another breakfast AND lunch stop.
  • Did you say PIE?
Gregg didn't just cultivate a dream-world Bucket List, he had a list of actionable plans and went out of his way to enjoy them. Despite its tragic end, even Gregg's final Roadtrip in Canada is a fine example of fulfilling dining dreams and not just living vicariously.

I purposefully meant to separate these lists from our Bucket Lists. Despite my best intentions, I've only made it to one of the four on my list from 2015. And that was only because Kansas City was a Roadfood Crawl destination. What Roadfood adventures do you intend to complete within the next three years?

I'll post my entire list later, but here is my start:
  • Drinking wine and eating Italian food with joerogo in Tuscany. Or even Pittston, for that matter.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2019/07/23 14:17:27
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12613
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/23 14:02:51 (permalink)
JRPfeff

• Drinking wine and eating Italian food with joerogo in Tuscany. Or even Pittston, for that matter.

Wait, I thought Pittston was in Tuscany!

Good topic.  Let me give it some thought...

leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10404
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/23 14:07:00 (permalink)
buffetbuster
JRPfeff

Wait, I thought Pittston was in Tuscany!

Good topic.  Let me give it some thought...

Wow...if only that were true...living so close would be great!!!!

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/23 14:12:14 (permalink)
My Roadfood Action List:
  • A return crawl to Kansas City.
  • Dragging Danny Boyd around SW Michigan in Porkpie1 for brewery/winery/ciderie visits.
  • Waffle House breakfast with Michael Hoffman.
  • Complete that 2015 Bucket List with a single roadtrip to KC, OKC, Texas barbecue heaven, and Doe's Eat Place.
  • Taqueria, sushi and hotdish crawl of Rhode Island with The Sultan.
  • A return to TexAZ with Foodbme for a ginormous CFS.
  • The NJ hotdog tour with leethebard.
  • Meeting buffetbuster in Tuscon again for too much food. This time with Mariton and Bobbi joining us.
  • NYC Food Crawl with Billyboy, TTM, and as many RF NYC-natives that we can drag up.
  • Hosting the annual RF Crawl in the Milwaukee area, with pies prepared by the Pie Diva.
  • Showing Buddy Roadhouse my love, the CTD way.
  • Poutine and Peameal Bacon with the Nairn's, somewhere in Canada.
To be continued.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2019/07/23 14:37:49
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6661
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/23 14:31:15 (permalink)
JRPfeff
My Roadfood Action List:
To be continued.

I'll be watching my back.

Buddy
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10404
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/23 14:44:20 (permalink)
JRPfeff
My Roadfood Action List:
  • A return crawl to Kansas City.
  • Dragging Danny Boyd around SW Michigan in Porkpie1 for brewery/winery/ciderie visits.
  • Waffle House breakfast with Michael Hoffman.
  • Complete that 2015 Bucket List with a single roadtrip to KC, OKC, Texas barbecue heaven, and Doe's Eat Place.
  • Taqueria, sushi and hotdish crawl of Rhode Island with The Sultan.
  • A return to TexAZ with Foodbme for a ginormous CFS.
  • The NJ hotdog tour with leethebard.
  • Meeting buffetbuster in Tuscon again for too much food. This time with Mariton and Bobbi joining us.
  • NYC Food Crawl with Billyboy, TTM, and as many RF NYC-natives that we can drag up.
  • Hosting the annual RF Crawl in the Milwaukee area, with pies prepared by the Pie Diva.
  • Poutine and Peameal Bacon with the Nairn's, somewhere in Canada.
To be continued.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/23 15:34:33 (permalink)
JRPfeff
My Roadfood Action List:

That really was a fun day. 

phlmaestro
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1115
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/23 16:00:09 (permalink)
Love this thread idea.

I should be knocking two things off my list in a couple months.

* I've badly wanted to try Roadfood Fried Chicken in Henderson, KY, since I was there in 2015 and it wasn't available (this is after the place that used to sell it closed and before the current place picked up the recipe). If all goes as planned, I'll be in the Henderson/Evansville area in September to spend a couple days eating with Louis Hatchett. That fried chicken will be at the top of the list of things I want to try.

* The other September item involves Jewish deli. I have loved Jewish deli since I was a little kid and consider it a black mark against my record that I have yet to eat at any of the famous Midwestern delis that are reviewed on this site.  I intend to rectify that, again in September, when I pass through Indianapolis. Shapiro's will be my lunch stop.  I was also hoping to get to Slyman's later in September when I'll be in Cleveland to see the Phillies play the Indians, but I was disappointed to learn that they are only open for breakfast and lunch during the week. I'll be in Cleveland from Friday night through Sunday morning. So there will be no Slyman's this time around. I'd like to eventually get to Jake's and Manny's too.

*  Another Jewish deli item on my list involves a food item I had never even heard of until maybe six months ago. I'm referring to Rolled Beef. If you look it up, you can see what it is and what it looks like. I joined a Facebook Jewish deli group a while back and started noticing person after person rave about Rolled Beef like it is the Holy Grail of Jewish deli. It was apparently fairly common at delis, at least in NYC, years ago, but can only be found at maybe a couple places now. I think there is a deli in the Bronx that serves it and one or two in Manhattan. I need to try that stuff.

*  While I've taken a couple trips to the Mid-South in recent years, I am really dying to explore the roadfood of at least some of the Deep South. I am thinking of meat-and-three, barbecue, pie, etc. Various trips my wife and I have discussed are: a) Flying into Memphis and taking side trips to Arkansas and Mississippi; b) Flying into Atlanta and taking a side trip to Alabama or South Carolina; c) Flying into New Orleans and driving east, through Mobile and into the Florida Panhandle. That last one is only likely if the Brick Pit is, in fact, re-opened.

*  I've had fried clams in Connecticut a few times, but I'd like to go further, into the fried clam belt, and eat at the Clam Box and/or Woodman's.

* I want to go back to the Texas barbecue belt. I was there a few years ago, but I was suffering from acid reflux during the trip and didn't eat nearly as much as I intended to.  While I loved the barbecue at Louie Mueller and La Barbecue, I want to go back and try the brisket at Franklin Barbecue. I shied away from standing in the long line last time.

*  Finally, I'd like to eat more Midwestern, flat hamburgers, with crispy, hanging edges. I practically swoon every time I eat one of those, but that's only happened a few times. I want more!

I'd say all of these things are realistic possibilities for me in the next 3-5 years. We're talking something to the Deep South for our major trip next year after several straight years of Midwestern trips.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/07/23 16:17:59
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/23 17:27:47 (permalink)
My Roadfood list is below in no particular order:

1.) I want to eat bbq in Lockhart and/or Austin with Cliff and Cousin Johnny.
2.) Get drunk with Jim and Bobbi somewhere in Springfield, IL.
3.) Eat brisket with David and Keith at Southern Soul Barbecue.
4.) Have dinner and drinks with the entire Roadhouse clan at Sokolowski's.
5.) Go to Topp's BBQ and Payne's back to back with Dale.
6.) Eat bbq with Gary at Pappy's in St. Louis.
7.) Yankee Stadium with John and Cathy.
8.) Hang out with Rogo for an entire day in Philly.

Regards,
Danny

P.S.  I really like the idea of a return crawl to KC!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/24 09:05:36 (permalink)
ChiBears15

That could be arranged!

Great list Danny.  Lots of fun ideas.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/24 10:59:00 (permalink)
buffetbuster
ChiBears15

That could be arranged!

I want in on that. Drop Danny in line a Frankin's and head out for breakfast.

PorkPie1 is fueled and ready to go.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2019/07/24 11:00:14
Davidsanders
  • Total Posts : 1232
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/24 21:45:57 (permalink)
JRPfeff
buffetbuster
ChiBears15

That could be arranged!

I want in on that. Drop Danny in line a Frankin's and head out for breakfast.

PorkPie1 is fueled and ready to go.

I want in on that also! And you don't have to stand in line at Franklin's if you have enough people (two or three??) to get a minimum order of five pounds of meat to go. Then you can dine "al trunko". Although if Danny wants to wait the four hours, that would work also.

David
Davidsanders
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/24 21:47:43 (permalink)
ChiBears15

3.) Eat brisket with David and Keith at Southern Soul Barbecue.

Regards,
Danny

P.S.  I really like the idea of a return crawl to KC!

I think you mean brisket at Gary Lee's, but Southern Soul is a must as well, as is B & J's Steaks and Seafood in Darien, Georgia. I can't wait.
Davidsanders
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/24 22:14:54 (permalink)
I guess my Roadfood Action List would include the following: 

1. Bring a small group of Roadfooders to Grady's, in Dudley, NC, before it's too late and the owners are no longer able to keep it going. This would probably mean flying into Raleigh and starting at Sunrise Biscuits in Chapel Hill.
2. The aforementioned Texas brisket with Cliff, cousin Johnny, whom I've still never met, Danny, Jim, Bobbi, and whoever else might want to come. But I think it would have to include Dallas to go to Pecan Lodge, Cliff's "Best Barbecue of 2016".
3. I'd like to try a few places in the Florida panhandle. 
4. I'd like to try some of the barbecue places in Alabama.
5. Even though I didn't vote for it for the Crawl, I'd eventually like to go to New Orleans. 
6. Detroit pizza in Detroit.
7. I'm not sure if I actually need or want to go to Mississippi or Oklahoma, although I know there is great Roadfood there.
8. Go with Danny and Gary to Pappy's in St. Louis (and a few other places).
9. Go to Payne's with Danny and Dale (maybe I'll skip Topp's).
10. Can I hang out with Danny and Joe in Philly too????
11. Go to Fox Bros. Barbecue in Atlanta with Keith and Danny.

David

phlmaestro
  • Total Posts : 1115
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/25 08:08:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/07/25 10:28:56
Davidsanders

7. I'm not sure if I actually need or want to go to Mississippi or Oklahoma, although I know there is great Roadfood there.

That reminds me that I should have put a trip to Oklahoma to eat onion-fried and other burgers on my list. I've wanted to do that for years.

And if a group of you ever get around to a roadfood outing in Philly, I'd love to tag along.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/07/25 08:11:01
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/25 10:30:46 (permalink)
Addition:
  • Ride The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa and eat pie every day.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23302
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/25 11:03:22 (permalink)
Check out the Tour of the Scioto River Valley Facebook page and prepare thineself for the rigors thereof. Oh, and I'll throw in breakfast at the Waffle House.

mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12269
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/25 12:57:40 (permalink)
Attend an East Coast crawl with all youse with a special tour of NY hot spots with Bill Homan and a meal at Chubby's.
Attend a Middle American crawl with Ann, Agnes, Lisa, Michael and the others in that area, and Having fried chicken with Screaming Chicken.

Have all of you come to the West Coast.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/25 15:13:50 (permalink)
Davidsanders
I guess my Roadfood Action List would include the following: 

1. Bring a small group of Roadfooders to Grady's, in Dudley, NC, before it's too late and the owners are no longer able to keep it going. This would probably mean flying into Raleigh and starting at Sunrise Biscuits in Chapel Hill.
2. The aforementioned Texas brisket with Cliff, cousin Johnny, whom I've still never met, Danny, Jim, Bobbi, and whoever else might want to come. But I think it would have to include Dallas to go to Pecan Lodge, Cliff's "Best Barbecue of 2016". 
3. I'd like to try a few places in the Florida panhandle. 

David

1. We have a trip scheduled for mid-September into Raleigh where we plan on stopping at Grady's BBQ on the way to Wilmington.  Very excited about that.

2. That Texas trip is sounding better and better.  Gregg and I had been talking about organizing something for this Fall.  He was waiting to find out which weekends he would be able to get tickets to Notre Dame football and then we were going to pick a date.  Although this Fall would be out, we would still be interested in doing this.

BTW, after eating at Cattleack BBQ in Dallas twice now, we would rate it a little higher than Pecan Lodge.

3.  We have learned to love the Florida Panhandle, especially for the oysters.  Mariton is an raw oyster fanatic and will down 6-8 dozen over the course of a weekend.  We got Pensacola coming up the first weekend in August.

Lots of great ideas David.  We hope you get to do them all.

post edited by buffetbuster - 2019/07/25 15:15:26
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/25 18:32:51 (permalink)
mar52
Attend an East Coast crawl with all youse with a special tour of NY hot spots with Bill Homan and a meal at Chubby's.
Attend a Middle American crawl with Ann, Agnes, Lisa, Michael and the others in that area, and Having fried chicken with Screaming Chicken.

Have all of you come to the West Coast.

That would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/25 18:35:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/07/25 18:39:30
We have a BIG front yard and HUGE back yard.  I've always wanted to do one gigantic grill party for everyone that is able to make it to Ohio!  Plus we owe our neighbors on the street something for scraping, sanding and painting the front of our house and giving us a new garage door.  We could make one BIG grill extravaganza!
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 721
Re: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Your personal Roadfood Action List 2019/07/26 00:16:10 (permalink)
1) Eat at Primanti Bros. (The Strip) I'll have the pastrami!
2) Have a Peter Luger steak will all the trimmings.
3) Eat a white clam pizza.
4) Take all y'all on an Alabama barbecue tour!
5) Follow David Sanders around sampling croissants; he finds them everywhere!
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5