all the hype about paula dean's place////

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2487
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 21:38:04 (permalink)
iqdiva,
Amen
edwmax
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 21:42:44 (permalink)
sodawater,
I bet your sweet Mama kept you supplied with good cookies and candy then.
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 21:47:31 (permalink)
Tea Cakes and Divinity ! In the fall and wintertime it was hot water gingerbread and syrup candy with parched peanuts ... Those things were to die for !
Wannabchef
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 22:48:28 (permalink)
Man oh man is it the heat or what?

Lot's of anger floating around in here.....if you don't like it - don't go back!
No need to trash people......
Jeeesh!
" />
Chill out!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5766
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 22:49:15 (permalink)
Paula Dean's restaurant a tourist trap? You know what? It figures! She deserves Tyrone.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 23:01:19 (permalink)
Four of us ate at Paula's place in Savannah about 3 years back. Stood around for the better part of an hour to get in. 2 of us did the buffet thing; 2 ordered off the menu. The Southern food on the buffet was embarrasingly average...didn't hold a candle to what Mrs. Wilkes served. The menu food was much better...nicely and generously served; well prepared. I recall my mom-in-law ordered their chicken pot pie. She said it was outstanding. I tried it and it was delicious. And I'll cast another vote for the hoe cakes 'n syrup that comes as a gratis appetizer. I liked those better than the buffet food.
edwmax
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 08:31:07 (permalink)
WannaB,

I'm not trying to Trash Paula. She just a Southern Woman that figured a way to make some money doing what she likes. That's selling Southern Food to Yankees and other poor southern folks who Mama cann't boil water without burning it.

I for one don't go out to a restaurant to the eat same food as I have at home. Especially when its as good or better at home. The current price for a good southern buffet is $6 and that all the cornbread/cathead biscuts, fried chicken, pork chops, greens, beans, fried okra and mash tators & gravy you can stuff.
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 08:40:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

The Southern food on the buffet was embarrasingly average...didn't hold a candle to what Mrs. Wilkes served.

Interesting,

Ms Wilkes has also been trashed many times on Roadfood and labeled a tourist trap. I went there for breakfast in 2002 and enjoyed it, never had lunch there.

It's a shame that some people don't realize that "tourist traps"
can actually have good food- IE- Katz's Deli in NY (yes Katz's is a tourist trap) and Durgin Park in Boston
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 548
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 10:15:44 (permalink)
first, thanks to all who stood up for my critique. on one hand, even my wife said i was a little harsh. i guess it was because i was expecting greatness, professionalism, and a grand buffet.
i have no personal interest in 'smooth' nor do i have any competitions with paula dean. i was excited about trying her wares. i am sure, she cooks great. but she has nothing to do with the place. she is never there. they just follow the recipes set forth.
i am not saying the food was terrible, it wasnt. but is certainly did not have the flare one would expect from such a famed establishment. the bathroom incident grossed me out, and reminded me why i opened my own place. as a manager, for years, i trained my staff to leave the restroom with paper towel in hand, drying as you walk. i dont expect to see that everywhere, but wouldnt that ease your mind some?
btw, we just tried the super china buffet. its across abercorn street from the oglethorpe mall.
i give it 5 stars! clean, professional staff, every item on the bar was fresh, and outstanding! they have three different hot bars, with tons of various foods. two cold bars,sushi, soups, icecream, and awesome desserts. all for 8.99

mland520
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 10:34:49 (permalink)
After watching Paula Dean on Food Network, it doesn't take a genius to realize that a "great chef" she's not. I have seen several of you on this web page dis Rachael Ray for doing the same things that Paula does. Taking store bought canned and processed ingredients and turning them into something a little out of the ordinary is not considered being a Great Chef. Taking and making from scratch- now that is something else. I have yet to see either of them do anything without cutting corners. You get what you expect, and pay for it dearly, at a restaurant like that.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2415
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 10:35:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jvsmom

Before we all jump on Tyrone, is it possible that he is sensitive to certain soaps and/or just prefers to wash in the kitchen? I know some kitchens have separate sinks dedicated only to handwashing.

I guess he's exempt from "ALL EMPLOYESS MUST WASH HANDS BEFORE LEAVING RESTROOM"?
If that's the case he should keep a box of disposable gloves in the restroom. I could care less if he lost his job, that's disgusting! And as promised I emailed "The Lady and Son's". I wasn't nasty but let them know how many thousands of people roadfood reaches....
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13940
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 10:39:13 (permalink)
I am not a big fan of Paula but I do not believe she passes her slef off as a great chef. I think she sorta hones in on southern cooking which is not indicative of a great chef. She tends to cook very simple things. She capitalizes on her personality and apparent local cuisine.

Perhaps she does some things that are far out but most of her TV stuff seems to be around things that we cook in the south.

No doubt that she enjoys what she cooks.

I have never visited her restaurant. Some of our posters have. I do not do buffets and from what I have read, that is not the best bet at her restaurant.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 19:32:00 (permalink)
I was there last about 2 yrs ago, We waited about an hour to get in. When we finally got seated the buffet looked

So we ordered off the menu also. The special that day was meatloaf, smashed taters, green beans and corn.

I had a fried seafood plate, bunch of fried seafoods, I remember the oysters were heavenly.

ADJ - Brother I am sorry you dislike soul food, my momma could cook, I can cook, but when out on the road I like to find a place that makes me a meal that will stick to my ribs. and Southern food/soul food fits that bill perfectly.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 20:15:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

I was there last about 2 yrs ago, We waited about an hour to get in. When we finally got seated the buffet looked

So we ordered off the menu also. The special that day was meatloaf, smashed taters, green beans and corn.

I had a fried seafood plate, bunch of fried seafoods, I remember the oysters were heavenly.

ADJ - Brother I am sorry you dislike soul food, my momma could cook, I can cook, but when out on the road I like to find a place that makes me a meal that will stick to my ribs. and Southern food/soul food fits that bill perfectly.

Nada my friend. I love it. But not every day... People in my area think that same is the only way to eat, 24/7. Many restaurants in my area "think" they have "perfect recipes" for Southern Style cooking. I say HA! Also, I MIGHT start eating fried chicken again if I could get a "bucket full" of pulley bones.
jvsmom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 20:34:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

Before we all jump on Tyrone, is it possible that he is sensitive to certain soaps and/or just prefers to wash in the kitchen? I know some kitchens have separate sinks dedicated only to handwashing.

I guess he's exempt from "ALL EMPLOYESS MUST WASH HANDS BEFORE LEAVING RESTROOM"?
If that's the case he should keep a box of disposable gloves in the restroom. I could care less if he lost his job, that's disgusting! And as promised I emailed "The Lady and Son's". I wasn't nasty but let them know how many thousands of people roadfood reaches....

I didn't say he was exempt from anything. I was merely pointing out that sometimes things are not always as they appear.
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 20:40:26 (permalink)
hey, if you pee and leave, you should pack up, and leave.
no washie, no workie. period!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 20:52:00 (permalink)
Oh yeah. I found this really cool family owned Cuban restaurant last time I was in Savannah around 3 months ago (previously posted in another thread). Good food, good prices and, no tourists! Maximum seating was around 12 tables & everything WAS cooked to order.... Dang good, IMO!
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 20:59:58 (permalink)
hey, you came to town, and didnt visit me/???/ i would have maybe bought you a bbq sammy..
iqdiva
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 21:57:18 (permalink)
Adjudicator,you must be a kindred foodie spirit...I adore "pulley bones" ! LOL...
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/13 23:25:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

hey, you came to town, and didnt visit me/???/ i would have maybe bought you a bbq sammy..

Hell. 4 some reason I thought U were in Augusta. Sorry. Anywaze, I'll be up there again 4 long. Sorry. I stay in midtown area when I am up there, usually @ Hampton Inn. Mega directions obviously needed 2 your place. :)
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5766
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/14 01:29:21 (permalink)
Can we get back to the topic, please?
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/14 04:37:41 (permalink)
Could be any southern mama cooking in the kitchen.
Nothing special about her dishes.. every time she comes on TV, I just dont get it, and look and wonder.. My mom cooked liked that the whole time I was growing up, almost had the same talk, but I think that Paula totally DRAWLS out her voice, just for the kick.
I dont care for her shows at all, and wouldnt waste my time going to her restaurant.
I can cook like that at home, just from watching my momma cook growing up.
Aint nothing special to me...
Paulas divinity aint nuttin' compared to my mommas..
Sheesh, and my mommas from Texas!
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/14 07:25:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

I love good pizza,too...But,this summer I'm really interested in Caribbean-inspired cuisine!

Hi diva,

Here's a great Caribbean recipe from our friend desertdog.

http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16948
Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/14 08:18:50 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

I didn't say he was exempt from anything. I was merely pointing out that sometimes things are not always as they appear.

I have to think that a skin condition being the reason somone didn't wash his hands is being very generous with giving the benefit of the doubt. I assume he just didn't wash his hands.

Let's face it. People don't always wash their hands. Nearly every guy in the world has not washed his hands after using the urinal. What is odd in this case is that he is a kitchen worker who used a restroom in front of the customers and he didn't wash his hands. I would expect him to wash his hands because he knew someone was watching. Peer pressure and not hygine is much more of a driving force, so it is odd that he was not more aware of his surroundings.
iqdiva
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/14 08:44:47 (permalink)
Thank you John! Those look fabulous...I'm adding them to my repertoire right now !
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/14 12:20:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

Thank you John! Those look fabulous...I'm adding them to my repertoire right now !

Enjoy
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/17 11:10:23 (permalink)
adjudicator, its easy. there are two main roads in midtown, going south. abercorn, and white bluff. get on white bluff, and drive south. we are almost to the end, on the right. go too far, fall in the water. look for our sign.
A Creole Cook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/18 15:45:04 (permalink)
Hummmmmmmmmm, not washing his hands would have made me sick when I thought about what else he had done while fixing the food!

Sorry, you are a better person than I am. I would have mentioned it to him, and maybe to other management in that place.

You are right, the TV show makes this place "a place to go", and in my opinion, since Paula & her sons have been earning a grip of bucks she could at least give folks authentic Southern food from scratch!

Thanks for the review
dg419
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/18 16:18:30 (permalink)
You guys, in Tyrone's defense: I spent many, MANY years of my young life working in restaraunts. We NEVER wash our hands in the public restroom - disgusting! It would be very unhygenic to even touch the sink. Every restaraunt I've ever been in has a sanitation station just inside the door of the kitchen. You properly sanitize when you get to the kitchen. How would you feel if he washed his hands in the public room, turned the water off, touched the door handle that who knows what has touched, and then a couple more on the way to the kitchen?? You ALWAYS sanitize IN THE KITCHEN. Never knew anyone who would do it any differently.

As far as Paula's: A buffet is a buffet. If you're expecting more, don't order the buffet. The food's only fresh for about 2 minutes. I'd like to hear what's on the menu. I also worked buffet for several years and people are ridiculous with what they expect. There's only so much you can do with it.
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/18 16:25:00 (permalink)
You know, I'm wondering why everyone had such poor experiences here and I on the other hand didn't. I took a look at the menu and realized I went there on a Sunday. If you will notice that's all they offer on Sunday is the buffet and it is also more expensive than other days which possibly meant more variety and although I hate to say it- better quality. I also got there early (around noon) so I managed to grab everything at its freshest, in fact they had just dropped off a fresh batch of fried chicken when I got to the buffet, I didn't have to wait on line- it was only me and I sat at the bar, so perhaps the day you choose to go and how early you get there will depend on the quality and your ultimate experience.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5