all the hype about paula dean's place////

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 548
2007/07/12 12:24:32 (permalink)

all the hype about paula dean's place////

ok, so i have lived in savannah, going on 5 yrs. never been to lady and sons, as i have my own place, but with my two daughters in for a visit, and with them watching her show, they just gotta go.
so, we went.. we get there, and there is a line,of course. so i go up the the hostess, and find that if you dont get there hours before you want to eat, you may not get in at all.
well, we got lucky, someone had just canceled, and we got a high top table for the four of us. now i knew from reading that they had buffet, and that the food was true southern. thats about all i knew going in.
well, i was terribly let down!
i imagined a grand buffet, kinda like grandma's house, you know, several kinda of meats, veggies, and all the trimmings.
well, the buffet consisted of baked chicken, fried chicken, and some kind of chicken in gravy(tasted not so good). besides that, there was green beans, collards, cabbage, lima beans, creamed corn, rice, mashed taters, mac and cheese, and a very small salad bar.
THAT WAS IT!!!!!!!
nothing special, nothing great. it was very so so.
the veggies were slightly better than canned, the chicken was bottom shelf, cheapest available cuts.
the meal also came with a dessert choice. canned peach cobbler, instant bananna pudding, or dried out old chocolate cake.(i think i know the difference!)
it was 13 dollars for the buffet, two dollars for a soda.
as if i was not burned enough..... heres the kicker.
we were done, and leaving, but we all decided to use the facilities one more time, as we were planning on walking around town.
i witnesses with my own two eyes, the cook for our buffet(named tyrone), relieved himself, and left without washing, while asking me how was it??????
i nearly got sick at that point!
this place is proof, that a little tv show can go a loong way.
after, we wee walking around town, and found this most awesome place!!!!!! its called smooth.
its a smoothie bar. top notch!
anyway, just thought i would share this with everyone.

76 Replies Related Threads

SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 12:30:21 (permalink)
    BassRocker, thanks for the info. I have heard from many about this restaurant being not so good. I certainly agree that the popularity stems from the exposure of Paula Dean. Sounds like just another tourist trap.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13940
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 12:31:53 (permalink)
    How did you really feel about it

I believe if I was going to Paula Deens place, I would not do a buffet. I think I would try one of her signature dishes and base my opinion on that. I have heard others that were not pleased but I have talked to some who believed it was very good.

I have never been there but I believe The Mayor, Janet and Poverty has. I wonder what their opinion was? I think they may have posted on it?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 12:52:38 (permalink)
    Yes,

I am one of those that thouroughly enjoyed it. Nothing tasted canned to me at all, unless every Southern meat n 3 i've gone too, served canned food, the fried chicken was top notch and the cobbler was absolutely delicious

Then again, there are other Southern Style Restaurants that everyone raves about that I found dissappointing such as Jestine's Kitchen in Charleston, in fact I don't even remember what I ate there as I found it that unimpressive and the only thing I liked at Ellston Place Soda Shop in Nashville was the Icebox Lemon Pie.

Of course everyone has their own opinions.
    Buckshot
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 13:01:17 (permalink)
    I ate at Paula's last spring and liked it. Ate at Uncle Bubba's the next night and really enjoyed the shrimp and grits.

Buckshot
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2415
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 13:08:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

ok, so i have lived in savannah, going on 5 yrs. never been to lady and sons, as i have my own place, but with my two daughters in for a visit, and with them watching her show, they just gotta go.
    so, we went.. we get there, and there is a line,of course. so i go up the the hostess, and find that if you dont get there hours before you want to eat, you may not get in at all.
    well, we got lucky, someone had just canceled, and we got a high top table for the four of us. now i knew from reading that they had buffet, and that the food was true southern. thats about all i knew going in.
    i imagined a grand buffet, kinda like grandma's house, you know, several kinda of meats, veggies, and all the trimmings.
    well, the buffet consisted of baked chicken, fried chicken, and some kind of chicken in gravy(tasted not so good). besides that, there was green beans, collards, cabbage, lima beans, creamed corn, rice, mashed taters, mac and cheese, and a very small salad bar.
    THAT WAS IT!!!!!!!
    the veggies were slightly better than canned, the chicken was bottom shelf, cheapest available cuts.
    the meal also came with a dessert choice. canned peach cobbler, instant bananna pudding, or dried out old chocolate cake.(i think i know the difference!)
    we were done, and leaving, but we all decided to use the facilities one more time, as we were planning on walking around town.
    i witnesses with my own two eyes, the cook for our buffet(named tyrone), relieved himself, and left without washing, while asking me how was it??????
    after, we wee walking around town, and found this most awesome place!!!!!! its called smooth.

I've stewed(or have been grossed out)long enough. If you don't go to the website and report Tyrone, I'm gonna. Knowing that disgusting practice goes on more than we know, actually witnessing it takes it to another level.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 13:29:44 (permalink)
    I do believe that Tyrone may have opened his last can of peaches.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 13:30:58 (permalink)

We didn't do the buffet. We ordered off the menu... Seafood platters which had Fried Oysters, Shrimp, Scallops and Fish with fries and slaw. All fresh, hot, and pretty good. The best part were the Hoe-Cakes that came on the side with honey. They were excellent.
    No wait when we arrived, but when we left there was a crowd around the block.

BTW the buffet didn't look all that good.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 16:25:28 (permalink)
    Mrs. Oneiron and I ate there about two weeks ago. It was OK. We had to eat the buffet that day. I'd like to try the menu sometime but I think I'll hit some other places in Savannah before going back. The wait and the crowds are somewhat unbearable, plus there are some quite good places nearby. As others have noted, Paula's is a tourist trap.
    Lurker
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 16:28:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

As others have noted, Paula's is a tourist trap.

Tourist trap or not, I still thought the food was excellent...

Hey, Katz's and The Carnegie Deli in NYC are tourist traps to and the food is excellent.

On the other hand, Pats, Genos and Jim's in Philly and tourist traps and the food is well....less to be desired
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 16:33:29 (permalink)
    quote:

THAT WAS IT!!!!!!!

is it just me, or does someone who has"her OWN place"in the SAME town sound just a p.owed about someone elses sucess i mean she ripped every part of the restaraunt not to mention maybe causing another person to lose his job!!! . I dont know i have a couple of places and maybe its just me but ...... i wonder if she has relatives at SMOOTH. Sorry but it just sounds mean to me.
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 16:36:16 (permalink)
    ok HE not SHE sorry !!lololol
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23274
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 17:18:33 (permalink)
    Sounded to me like an honest report on the experience, and certainly not sour grapes -- not that anyone would expect it to be anything but straight from bassrocker.
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 17:35:41 (permalink)
    Before we all jump on Tyrone, is it possible that he is sensitive to certain soaps and/or just prefers to wash in the kitchen? I know some kitchens have separate sinks dedicated only to handwashing.

iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 17:41:21 (permalink)
    If Tyrone is sensitive to certain soaps or prefers to wash his hands in the kitchen,I do hope that he opened the bathroom door with a paper bathroom napkin...It's really nasty to handle the bathroom doorknob with dirty "I've just gone to the bathroom" hands.
    TwoJays
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 17:57:21 (permalink)
    quote:

heres the kicker.

"Poppy is sloppy...."

John
    (A Seinfeld reference, for those who don't know)
    iqdiva
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 18:00:54 (permalink)
    LOL TwoJays !!! I love Seinfeld....
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 18:04:31 (permalink)
    sorry if i was wrong and didnt mean to offend but the descriptions of canned, instant , and dried out old cake!! smacked of an agenda, also bottom shelf cuts of chicken!!!?? you guys know better than me if you say he's a straight shooter than i guess he is!!
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 18:34:37 (permalink)
    Well, Danny, I have to say my instinct is to agree with you about the word choice.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 18:40:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Hey, Katz's and The Carnegie Deli in NYC are tourist traps to and the food is excellent.

On the other hand, Pats, Genos and Jim's in Philly and tourist traps and the food is well....less to be desired

Savannah Tourista Trap; now confirmed...
    Lurker
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 19:23:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

quote:

That's OK

One day Hell will freeze over when you actually decide to take a ROAD TRIP for ROAD FOOD which is what this forum is supposed to be all about!

BTW, Buffetbuster and I had a very interesting conversation about that this weekend.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 19:55:51 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's OK

One day Hell will freeze over when you actually decide to take a ROAD TRIP for ROAD FOOD which is what this forum is supposed to be all about!

BTW, Buffetbuster and I had a very interesting conversation about that this weekend.

Whatever. I have always thought of RF food as food destinations one would find while traveling. And also, I am always going to be jaded in my replies to posts concerning southern style restaurants and foods, except for BBQ. Southern style food is good and I know that by my past cooking observations from my grandparents and parents, as well as knowledge from the greatest Southern cook of all; my mother.
    I.E., if you have had the best and have the experience & knowledge to produce same or better; why bother with anything else?

However, as I have said before in countless threads, I am sick & tired of Southern cooking. Enough is enough. Gimme a good pizza!
    iqdiva
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 19:59:17 (permalink)
    Adjudicator,my friend,there will have to be two greatest Southern cooks of all time,LOL,my Mama and your Mama! We're two very spoiled Southern kids!
    iqdiva
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 20:05:14 (permalink)
    I love good pizza,too...But,this summer I'm really interested in Caribbean-inspired cuisine!
    Lurker
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 20:20:19 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Enough is enough. Gimme a good pizza!

Ok, but it's gonna have limp overcooked veggies
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2487
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 20:41:15 (permalink)
    I'm with Adjudicator & iqdiva, why in the world would you go out to a restaurant and get the same food that you eat at home every day?! AND, my MAMA, & wife are darn good southern cooks too. So that's 3 good southern cooks (Adj's MAMA included) right here in southwest Georgia and 1 good southern cook (iqdiva MAMA) in southeast Alabama.
    sodawater43
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 21:00:29 (permalink)
    My mama couldn't cook worth a lick. She still can't and she's 87 years old.
    iqdiva
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 21:13:43 (permalink)
    Sodawater43,I'll bet your Mama's sweet...even if she can't cook.Edwmax,welcome to the "My Mama's A Great Southern Cook club" ! LOL...I'll bet there are a lot of us spoiled(with great food) Southern children...
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2487
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 21:24:14 (permalink)
    Well my Grandma was a great southern cook too, but she been gone a few years now. She could do wonders with soda crackers and yard chickens.
    iqdiva
    RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/12 21:26:28 (permalink)
    I'll bet she was! So was mine...They would be proud that we remember them with such love...
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5