all the hype about paula dean's place////

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/18 20:01:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jvsmom

Before we all jump on Tyrone, is it possible that he is sensitive to certain soaps and/or just prefers to wash in the kitchen? I know some kitchens have separate sinks dedicated only to handwashing.

I had a friend that was a bartender, and one time we were in the bathroom together and as I was washing my hands, she mentioned to me..
"Dont be offended that I didnt wash my hands here, I wash them in the kitchen before I get back to the bar"..
Indicating that she didnt like to wash her hands and then touch the door before heading back to the bar.
I take a paper towel, and open the door with that when using facilities in public.
Maybe thats what this cook does.. Well, we all would like to think that anyway.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/18 20:31:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

You know, I'm wondering why everyone had such poor experiences here and I on the other hand didn't. I took a look at the menu and realized I went there on a Sunday. If you will notice that's all they offer on Sunday is the buffet and it is also more expensive than other days which possibly meant more variety and although I hate to say it- better quality. I also got there early (around noon) so I managed to grab everything at its freshest, in fact they had just dropped off a fresh batch of fried chicken when I got to the buffet, I didn't have to wait on line- it was only me and I sat at the bar, so perhaps the day you choose to go and how early you get there will depend on the quality and your ultimate experience.

Well, IMO the day one visits should not matter. This place is all about tourista hype & is not worthy of the recognition it somehow gathered. Southern food this place offers is granted. Southern QUALITY food here is a hit-or-miss situation. That in my book is unacceptable.
tybeeguy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/18 21:48:07 (permalink)
This thread is strange. First of all, I do hot dogs, hamburgers, fried chicken, fish, oysters, shrimp and every veggie known to man at home. But boy do I love eating out especially at a good road food place. You folks that never eat any thing out that you can prepare at home are surely missing something.
Second, the best southern plate I have ever eaten came from Paula Deens first downtown Savannah resturant. I know that she can cook and run a resturant. Was it as good as my mama's or your's? I don't know, but I do know it beat the hell out of any other buffet southern style meal I have eaten. May not be now as you tourist have driven up the price and ruined a good thing. Go eat your pizza and chinese buffets...UGH
One more point. Do us all a favor in the future and only send emails to resturants when you have a bad experience not for any negative thing someone else experiences....Pitful
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/18 22:28:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

This place is all about tourista hype & is not worthy of the recognition it somehow gathered.

That I don't understand, I was talking with quite a few people while I was there and they were all locals getting out of church. I agree, if a place is inconsistent, then it's not worth it, although I can't vouch for its inconsistency because my experience was favorable albeit I was just there once.

However I've said it before, if we were to base quality on tourista hype then probably close to half of the restaurants reviewed by the Sterns on Roadfood would be condemned as tourist traps.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2352
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/18 23:21:46 (permalink)
I,ve only been there once. The fried seafood was adequate. The hoecakes were indescribably good, and I can describe lots of stuff.
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1690
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/19 00:29:54 (permalink)
quote:
bassrocker4u2 Posted - 07/12/2007 : 12:24:32
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok, so i have lived in savannah, going on 5 yrs. never been to lady and sons, as i have my own place,

.I think bassrocker4u2 is full of BS and sucking on sour grapes .............just made a phone call and found that there is no Tyrone working there.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4247
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/19 07:54:03 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

This place is all about tourista hype & is not worthy of the recognition it somehow gathered.

That I don't understand, I was talking with quite a few people while I was there and they were all locals getting out of church. I agree, if a place is inconsistent, then it's not worth it, although I can't vouch for its inconsistency because my experience was favorable albeit I was just there once.

However I've said it before, if we were to base quality on tourista hype then probably close to half of the restaurants reviewed by the Sterns on Roadfood would be condemned as tourist traps.

People hear about a place and how good the food is so that they make it a destination when traveling. Many restaurants become popular with travelers because of this. It does not make it less of a restaurant because the business is not just "locals". I think it is terrible when people have never been to a restaurant and then make negative comments on it.

Another thing that I see from posts on all these forums is that people post negatively because they think a place is "too expensive" and that is most unfair of all. Making negative remarks on a restaurant that you choose not to go to because of price is really a dreadful thing to do.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/19 08:41:43 (permalink)
quote:
I think bassrocker4u2 is full of BS and sucking on sour grapes .............just made a phone call and found that there is no Tyrone working there.

And on top of that he's going to race-baiter hell.
Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/19 08:48:08 (permalink)
I think it is fair to talk about price, but price should be a reflection of value.

I have been to places like the Inn at Little Washington and spent a few hundred dollars for dinner for two. Now, I really enjoyed the meal, so I don't go around be upset at all the money I spent that day.

On the other hand, I've been at other places where there would be lines to get in, like the Cheescake Factory, and I spent say $100 there. After going there, I would be upset that I wasted the money and the time in line.
juleebella
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/19 09:07:35 (permalink)
We've been to The Lady & Sons 3 times, once at the old location and twice at the new. We got the buffet each time and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also always try to hit Mrs. Wilkes while in Savannah, but this past March when we were there for some reason they were closed.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1253
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2007/07/19 09:18:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Nancypalooza

quote:
I think bassrocker4u2 is full of BS and sucking on sour grapes .............just made a phone call and found that there is no Tyrone working there.

And on top of that he's going to race-baiter hell.

...which, unfortunately, is a pretty crowded place.

A friend of my wife's went to Savannah earlier this year, and she and her family ate at The Lady & Sons. They were very pleased with the place.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5597
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2016/08/26 12:41:09 (permalink)
Just got back form a trip to Savannah and thereabouts, and we had one meal at Lady and Sons

13 years after the original post, I can confirm everything the original poster said

First off, I did want to order from a menu, but they indicated that it being Sunday, ONLY the buffet was available.  Which meant that my wife, who is not a big roadfood fan but had wanted to try the fried green tomatoes here for a long time, did not get that satisfaction

The food wasn't bad, not at all, it just wasn't good.  Even the cobbler and the fried chicken some have indicated was worthy was no better than something I'd get at a Golden Corral.  I am not trying for hyperbole here - it was just that meh

The place was also kinda dirty, with sticky floors, and drinks were served in cheap plastic tumblers

Overall, very underwhelming
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 859
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2016/08/26 13:09:17 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Just got back form a trip to Savannah and thereabouts, and we had one meal at Lady and Sons

13 years after the original post, I can confirm everything the original poster said

First off, I did want to order from a menu, but they indicated that it being Sunday, ONLY the buffet was available.  Which meant that my wife, who is not a big roadfood fan but had wanted to try the fried green tomatoes here for a long time, did not get that satisfaction

The food wasn't bad, not at all, it just wasn't good.  Even the cobbler and the fried chicken some have indicated was worthy was no better than something I'd get at a Golden Corral.  I am not trying for hyperbole here - it was just that meh

The place was also kinda dirty, with sticky floors, and drinks were served in cheap plastic tumblers

Overall, very underwhelming

Repeated just because it should be..
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6817
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2016/08/26 15:46:40 (permalink)
Another old thread revision. 

I ate there last year for lunch and had the shrimp and grits. It was OK, not great and not bad.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13939
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2016/08/26 16:52:45 (permalink)
Paula Deen's at the Island in Pigeon Forge in my opinion is very good.  Roz and I have been there several times and the selections were always double outstanding.  Fish and Fried chicken was fresh and hot and the veggies were very good.  The Island is very entertaining.  Think downtown Disney.  The restaurant is two story with a escalator taking you to the second story where the huge windows allow you to overlook a good portion of the Island. 

http://pauladeensfamilykitchen.com/menu/

http://islandinpigeonforge.com/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville TN 
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10292
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2016/08/26 17:25:54 (permalink)
oooh, be careful. Paula'a is not roadfood, a small chain...and it has a view. There are some here who'd make fun of you for that combination!!!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
RE: all the hype about paula dean's place//// 2016/08/26 19:12:32 (permalink)
Paula apparently had a boat tour near Louisville with a great buffet.. Al and Janet loved it.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5