Lockedbatting a thousand!!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
2005/01/22 15:45:29 (permalink)

batting a thousand!!!!

Ok, I've been away a few days pondering what my one thousandth post will be about!

Well, I finally thought of one. I noticed several of you on this forum like to talk about food, however it seems that many of you folks don't seem to travel and explore those hidden treasures we call Road Food. If it's not too personal, I'm wondering why

I am many many years from retirement and far from wealthy and do not have all the time in the world, yet I have no problem taking a few extended weekends and a couple of weeks year a year to travel around this great country of ours.

I know some of you may say that you have young children, however I always see parents with young kids in tow at various tourist and historical sites every where I go.

So, again if it is not too personal, I'm just wondering why some of you have not had the chance to head out and hit the open road

30 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5851
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 15:58:38 (permalink)
    Good job,WJ!
    With 11 & 13 year olds around,sports, activities and school take up major
    blocks of time. Winter vacation means snowboarding everyday up on top of the mountain. Our school year doesn't end till mid June in Oregon, then Baseball and Softball take over till almost August. That's why our vacations usually consist of visiting Sister in Law in Portland and returning home along the coast.
    This year we're planning August for a Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri and Texas trip+who knows where....?
    Bill
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 16:07:55 (permalink)
    My husband has owned a small business for many years - survived malls, Walmart and the rest. He has the kind of mom-and-pop operation equivalent to some of the best Roadfood places listed here. But the downside is that he works long hours and the business is just not the same when he's not there.

So it's hard for us to go traipsing off on weekend (shop is open then) or longer vacations, stopping at Roadfood stops on the way, like we did when he worked for Corporate America.

So for now, we'll have to visit them vicariously through the reports of travelers like you. Thank you, WJ, and congratulations on becoming a 4-star guy!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23195
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 16:37:27 (permalink)
    Work.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 19:33:00 (permalink)
    Congrats on hitting 1000, WJ !!

However, I can't respond to your question, because I seek out Roadfood-type places every week.
    Lurker
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 19:37:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

Congrats on hitting 1000, WJ !!

However, I can't respond to your question, because I seek out Roadfood-type places every week.

Thanks Bushie, you're going to have to take over for me for the next few months- I'm on a HUGE diet until my baseball trip in April! Already lost 9 lbs, wanna lose at least another 25-30 before the trip.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1331
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 19:53:24 (permalink)
    WJ

Good question! I think that in this busy world it is about what you have to do or what you feel you have to do. I am really fortunate in that I am with my son and daughter in law with their 3 small ones much of the time and they love adventure. They will give up a day of lawn work or cleaning in able for us to go off exploring for a new ROADFOOD adventure. It is loads of fun but I also realize that they are able to do this because I can "hold down the fort" during the week and get a lot of the chores done so that weekends are free for us to wander.

Also, one must have a great spirit of adventure and give up the easy "Let's go to Waffle House for breakfast" or "Let's go to Olive Garden" for dinner. It is so easy to go to chains instead of seeking out a real Roadfood place.

I lived near a small town for many years where there were only the "Mom and Pop" places. When the chains started coming into town, it made many people feel good that they had restaurants that were the same as the rest of the world. As a result, they flocked to the chains so that they would feel like they were really "in" and lots of the really great places that they went to all their lives went under..
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1416
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 20:20:36 (permalink)
    Wandering, congratulations on achieving this level. Don't get me started on old-timers and new posters...you're surely an old timely poster!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 20:37:41 (permalink)
    WJ- Keep up the good questions!
    For me the period of time thru the 70's and 80's were jammed with jobs kids jobs kids and more of the same. Very few vacations were taken in order to keep the bucks rolling in. In the 90's We hit the road again, First taking my Mother along after my step-Dad died, then Janet joined the fun in '93. Those long roadtrips (5-9 weeks each summer) have given way to shorter, but more frequent trips...a week here a week there and sometimes a couple of weeks for something special. The long trips were outstanding. We kept the agenda short...but altered course many times to see and do something that came to our attention on the way ! Our current shorter trips allow us to take McDuff and to target specific things we want to do.
    We are looking forward to our visit to Lisa in June. 10 days in Alaska will be a great time. The dog will relax by the pool at the local Doggie Pet Resort and not make the tour with us.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 23:02:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Ok, I've been away a few days pondering what my one thousandth post will be about!

Well, I finally thought of one. I noticed several of you on this forum like to talk about food, however it seems that many of you folks don't seem to travel and explore those hidden treasures we call Road Food. If it's not too personal, I'm wondering why

I am many many years from retirement and far from wealthy and do not have all the time in the world, yet I have no problem taking a few extended weekends and a couple of weeks year a year to travel around this great country of ours.

I know some of you may say that you have young children, however I always see parents with young kids in tow at various tourist and historical sites every where I go.

So, again if it is not too personal, I'm just wondering why some of you have not had the chance to head out and hit the open road

Great...I'll let you take my 6-month-old and 3-year-old on your next trip.... I'll warn you now that the little one doesn't hold her cheesesteaks well.

In my single days and childless days, I in fact took off for at least a couple of weekends a year to a variety of places specifically for roadfood purposes (although I didn't know it was "roadfood" at the time.) And now, when the rare opportunity presents itself to be out of town for whatever reason, the first thing I do is check on this site to see what's available where I'm headed.

But, at this point, when my wife and I get the rare chance to go somewhere about once a year for an overnight (haven't had a true vacation in a few years), we head for as much luxury and pampering as possible.

I'm not saying my roadfood days are over; far from it. But, they're on temporary hiatus, except for the stuff I can do where I live in NYC. When the kids are a bit older, who knows? But, with my own business, an infant and toddler, no family within 500 miles to help out, and a wife who works her behind off, me sneaking off for roadfood simply is not a priority. Nor would it be fair.

And, just to clarify, none of that is a complaint. OK, maybe I sighed a little....

redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 23:31:31 (permalink)
    My lack of Roadfood adventures in the past few years is very easily summed up. For many years, I was the caretaker for my parents, and my dad was pretty much housebound the last couple years of his life. In that time also, I have had a few nagging bouts of health issues that are resolving...(much to the chagrin of several docs I have managed to send on vacations to Aruba, Europe and Nepal)Along with the health issues came financial disasters here and there, as well as the time and effort involved in constantly having to re-establish work contacts in between these bumps in the road and attempting to bring my lucrative projects back up to full speed.(I'm a freelancer, itinerant or jack of all trades graphics and design/editor-content writer/researcher/tech support gypsy) Things will resolve to my satisfaction, I'm sure, at some point soon. Until then, I'll just live vicariously through all of you and continue to stick pins in the voodoo dolls I have for each of you, in relentless revenge and jealousy.muahahahahahahahahaha
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/22 23:48:23 (permalink)
    My roadfood excursions have dwindled to almost nothing the last year or so. For quite a few years I traveled Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansaw, Kansas, New Mexico, Tenn., Virginia, etc. I worked for a auto dealer and delivered vehicles, made dealer trades etc (trucks, buses and autos). This was after 38 years working for the U.S. Air Force as a cilivian employee. Now at the ripe old age of 76, with diabetes and much too fat I can't get too far from home. I miss the travel, and finding those neat eating places around the country. I still enjoy reading the postings by others. Does that make me a lurker?
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1513
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/23 00:12:11 (permalink)
    My youngest has a perfect attendance record at school and my oldest has work as does my husband. Even on holidays traveling any further than a few hours away is expensive for folks like us. You say you're "far from wealthy" but I'd be willing to bet you've got a lot more disposable income than we do.
    I've always wanted to travel, but it will be a long time before we're able to travel around the country.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/23 00:24:34 (permalink)
    I keep active on roadfood by eating at the local roadfood places in Oergon, Washington, and California. I also seek out roadfood placeswhen I travel to other places. My son is 11 and has learned to love some of the road food places. i feel lucky there are so many road food places close to Portland.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/23 00:37:23 (permalink)
    Too busy building my house!--not to mention the expence of it!!!But i will be back on the road soon!!!---and congrats on the 1000PLUS!
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/23 04:17:06 (permalink)

WJ,

Congrats on the milestone batting average!

Having only stumbled on the RoadFood site a little less than 1 year ago, I have to confess that I rarely gave the concept of roadfood much thought. Not that Linda and I haven't traveled around and sought out great places to eat, because we have. It's been almost instinctive for us as, over the years, we came to realize how disappointing the chains always seem to be.

So many great places, and so hard for us to remember their names. Since I started reading this site, I'll bet that I ask Linda several times a week, "What was the name of that place where we ate when we were driving through timbucktoo back in the spring of 1997?" And she'll say, " Yeah, that sure was good....can't remember the name, though..."

So, it's been the discovery of this site and all of the very interesting postings of experiences of the members that has brought a new interest in paying more attention to the details of our experiences eating at great places whenever we travel. Also, we're more aware of what we have all around close to us as well.

We've taken too much for granted for too long, unfortunately. At our ages, we need to better savor our experiences.

Frank

Lurker
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/23 15:00:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

You say you're "far from wealthy" but I'd be willing to bet you've got a lot more disposable income than we do.

Trust me I am FAR from wealthy. Compared to my friends who insist that they are "middle class" I should be living in a box and eating shoe leather, however in my opinion any middle class family who doesn't have other commitments can travel around the Country and enjoy what's there to offer a couple of weeks out of the year.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/23 19:11:17 (permalink)
    Congrats to you, WJ! Lately it seems one of the very few, and eroding voices of reason around these parts. It seems that you and I are likely similar in a lot of ways -- not the least of which is all about baseball! <-- side note -- just booked a trip out to AZ for a weekend's worth of "their" spring training -- and got tix in my own backyard for the Washington Nationals inaugural game against my beloved Mets.

Moreover, I am neither wealthy (I drive a car that is almost 15 yrs old with 175,000 miles, don't live in the greatest part of town, and make little more than enough to keep the bills paid) nor particularly culinarily adventurous (do not eat Mexican, of any variety, for instance). But, I do live within my means and try to try new things every now and again. My ability to travel comes from work. I am fortunate to work in an environment where I am paid to travel and eat in NY, TX, and the pacific NW. Further, I desparately try to acquire as many frequent flier miles and hotel points as I can when I am on the road. This allows me to be able to get to where I want to go without going broke. Will I be vacationing in Hawaii or Bora Bora any time soon? Nope....but, that's OK with me. I make choices that I can live with, and I enjoy myself.

So, I guess I cannot answer your question...as I feel the same way.

BTW, you should have seen the look on the face of the last girl I suggested that we drive an hour for a dinner date. She could do no more than rave about my choice after visiting Dixie Crossroads in Titusville, FL for the first time.

Keep waving the flag, brother.

Steve
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/24 09:41:44 (permalink)
    quote:

WJ, We're heading out this weekend for a food trip to Cincinnati. Mainly we're going to get provsions for the rest of the winter at Jungle Jim's Grocery, but I'm currently compiling a list roadfood stops and a couple places that might transcend the roadfood category.
    Any recommendations?
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5573
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/24 09:54:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

WJ, We're heading out this weekend for a food trip to Cincinnati. Mainly we're going to get provsions for the rest of the winter at Jungle Jim's Grocery, but I'm currently compiling a list roadfood stops and a couple places that might transcend the roadfood category.
    Any recommendations?
    Although you addressed WJ, I suggest you take a look at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5620
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/24 10:27:07 (permalink)
    As a couple of DINKs, we love to do the Roadfood thing whenever we can. I am blessed with a spouse that has the same sense of adventure and who also loves to eat. Our trip in October to the St. Mary's Oyster Festival was just great! And I will be tagging along on hubby's business trip to NYC next month and will be exploring Brooklyn while he works--heh heh. April will take us to SF and Wine Country. Somewhere in there is the cheesesteak/crabcake meet-up (I think). I love it!!

But I have to say, now that we are homeowners (for 5 years now) our weekend trips have dwindled. When we lived in an apartment, we would just go whenever. Now we find that funds that were once earmarked for weekend wanderings are now saved for home improvements (we just got a new brick patio and before that lovely, energy efficent windows--I never thought windows would ever make me swoon!!). Also in the spring and summer, when would have normally gone roadfooding, we are now out growing our own food. When the weekend comes around, we can't wait to get out in the dirt. OUR DIRT. Even after 5 years, that great feeling never wears off. After so many years in an apartment without even a balcony, to go out and pick my own tomatoes and green beans and cucumber is a dream come true. It is such a satisfying feeling.

Great question, WJ!!
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/24 14:25:46 (permalink)
    meowzart,
    dendan will be in SF and wine county in April as well! We are sure to find some good places! I started a thread titled California in April, might get some suggestions there.

BTW - we just got a new car and bit the bullet and got a vanity plate - it reads

4RDTRPZ!

Oh - Congrats on hitting 1000, WJ !! Well, it's now 1016!!!!
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2777
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/24 15:20:45 (permalink)
    Not only 1000, but actually 1016 as I post. WJ, you have given us quality and quantity, and I congratulate you. You have managed to stay "on topic" more than most of us, and you have reminded us why we are here when we have strayed. Thanks for your efforts. As to the subject at hand, roadfood is close to most of us if we look. I reported on a local place today, and already an out of town member mentioned that they might visit my "find" when they are in the area. I think that if we encourage each other to skip the easy choice (the chains) and keep trying the new places, even if they are local we will have more than enough to post. I have eaten at places that I would never have found without this site, and I have enjoyed each visit. Thanks to WJ, and each of you who has taken the time to write about to good places.
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 895
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/24 17:55:13 (permalink)
    Congrats WJ! I try to keep current on the local roadfood scene and when we do travel, try to work in Roadfood-worthy places where possible. It's not hard to do...
    Lurker
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/24 18:02:45 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of you who have congratulated me on hitting that "thousand mark". And thanks to all of you for sharing, supporting and contributing to the noteworthy cause of keeping the concept of Road Food alive!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3050
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/24 18:35:35 (permalink)
    I work five 12 hour days a week, including Saturdays but without consecutive days off, and have a 13 year old daughter. So anywhere I go on a whim has to be a day trip or a real vacation, and I haven't been on a real vacation since 12/02; we were going to go in 12/03, but a bunch of people got fired and I had to pick up the slack (and the $$).

We're going to the big island of Hawaii on March 6th. Otherwise, we usually go to Orlando, or Virginia Beach, and I would venture that those are pretty picked over, Roadfood-wise.

When I was younger, in my 20s, my friends and I would pick up on a moment's notice and take road trips to wherever the map would lead us, so I have a Roadfood mentality. But actual roadfoodiness isn't a big part of my life anymore. I could use guidance for PA, NJ, and upstate NY, but otherwise all I can do is answer questions pertaining to my area.

Tom
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/25 10:24:24 (permalink)
    Working in pro baseball, we need to stick close to home from March through October. That doesn't mean we can't sit back and live vicariously, though...
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/25 11:15:12 (permalink)
    WANDERINGJEW,good point! In my case it is physical due to bum leg,but in my youth,I traveled all the time(I was a symphony musician and toured extensively). I think,as we get a bit older,we tend to narrow our parameters(I am speaking only for myself)and find comfort in the old places we know so well. When I do travel,I check out as many local places as I can and usually do well,just asking folks "where's a good place to eat.....?" seems to work consistently well.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/25 11:30:52 (permalink)
    quote:

Thanks to all of you who have congratulated me on hitting that "thousand mark". And thanks to all of you for sharing, supporting and contributing to the noteworthy cause of keeping the concept of Road Food alive!

So close to Christmas, I can only think of this paraphrase....

Putting the "road" back in "roadfood."

howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: batting a thousand!!!! 2005/01/25 13:21:38 (permalink)
    Great topic WJ.
    I know for me, roadfood.com has provided
    an incentive to do more food oriented
    traveling.
    There are many reasons (as cited) for
    not hitting the road.
    I have a job where I commute by car in
    NJ for three hours per day to my offices.
    In between my commute I also travel sometimes
    once or twice per day.
    I know you have traveled NJ roads so maybe
    you understand that on weekends I tend to feel
    like staying local.
    But let me conclude with this thought; I
    believe much of life's choices have the "bell"
    curve attachment. There are lots of people in
    the middle or average range, and fewer in the
    high and low end of the curve. My roadfood
    active travel may be in the middle range but
    my interest and heart are in the high range.
    You are truly planted firmly in the high end
    of the curve and its a place I would like to
    someday be, if there is still room.
    Good luck on that diet.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5