concession hood instalation

Author
abe8808
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2017/03/10 23:45:05 (permalink)

concession hood instalation

Hey guys.
My name is Abe and this is my first food business. I just purchased a 16x8 trailer and planing on making a mobile food business out of it. I'm going to be doing a lot of grilling mainly. still debating the name but that's not my problem. My hood came with an exhaust fan and a bracket. the guy told me to find a piece of duct to connect between the bracket and the hook wherever I want to rout it. but being a trailer and my plan is of slamming the hood in the corner as high up as possible. I was thinking of just mounting the hood up their and putting the fan in the fan bracket after drilling a wide enough hole on the top of the vent area seal around the hood with some calk and call it a day. do i really need any duct to be going straight into the filters area or do you think my idea is going to work. My mount didn't come with any kind of curbe and I've been reading some people say you need it but I've seen professional people installing the hood flush to the mount. I would appreciate any kind of advice a nub here hitting a wall after a wall.
Thanks to you guys in advance

5 Replies Related Threads

Blakkmoon
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 506
    Re: concession hood instalation 2017/03/11 00:13:39 (permalink)
    If you have poked around here enough, you should know that whoever enforces all the rules in your particular area is where you should go first.
    Some areas require that your hood and fan be installed by a professional only.
    But in any case, most jurisdictions will require that it be done to code.  NFPA96 code.   It's not a fun read.

Unless you have a 100% metal roof with nothing between the hood and roof, I think there still needs to be an air gap.
    The duct from the hood to the fan is supposed to be welded and welds ground smooth. NFPA96 is pretty specific.

Please check with your local authorities first.
    abe8808
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: concession hood instalation 2017/03/11 17:24:58 (permalink)
    Thank a lot for the info. I looked up the code and yeah I saw the air tight weld section. that is about the only thing I'm gonna struggle in. I am sure in FL you are not obligated to have it installed professionally. I'm going to mount the hood and find a piece of duct and then I'll find a buddy to weld it I know a couple of welders.
    Thanks a lot for the info again
    NOSHp20
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re: concession hood instalation 2017/04/05 17:59:00 (permalink)
    I just finished my hood install and have an air gap (no local codes on this but stuck to NFPA96 as much as possible on the entire build.) The exhaust vent is 8"x 8" with a welded duct. A new hood setup comes with everything you need to install correctly and to that code. It has the ability to upgrade to an automated fire protection system if ever the city or county codes change and require it. Just "food" for thought here, and spending the $$ for new one might save a whole lot of headaches.
    Blakkmoon
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 506
    Re: concession hood instalation 2017/04/05 19:06:18 (permalink)
    I was going to ask about that gap in the pics.
    I figured it was just due the curve in the wall to ceiling transition.
    NOSHp20
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re: concession hood instalation 2017/04/08 14:53:59 (permalink)
    Blakkmoon
    I was going to ask about that gap in the pics.
    I figured it was just due the curve in the wall to ceiling transition.

Yup that too, but it worked out good to establish some gap and comply with the reg.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5