cross country round up, part 1 (NM)

Author
unocal76
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
2005/11/14 18:44:36 (permalink)

cross country round up, part 1 (NM)

first of all, i'd like to say a big muchas gracias to everyone who helped me out w/ places to eat AND which routes to take. granted i didnt get to do everything, but i sure in hell did a lot (and my weight stayed the same!). all i know is this country is so amazing, i would do the trip again in a heartbeat. all of my notes are in the car, so i'm going on memory here (and starting in new mexico, cuz that was one of the places i had posts on).

i spent a week there and headed up to carlsbad from fort stockton to check ou the caverns. unbelievable. you just have to go and see them for yourself. i highly recommend taking one of the additional tours (the ranger turned the lights out in one of the rooms!). they have a lunchroom down there too which i sent postcards of to friends cuz i thought it was rather funny. anyway i wound up at la fonda in artesia to eat dinner, which one of the rangers said had the best mexican around (it's been around for decades too). it wasnt that far of a drive, and i ended up getting a beef flauta there. it wasnt anythng special, but the chips and salsa were really filling me up. it's possible i didnt order the right thing. i did have my first sopaipilla tho - man what a treat. i forced myself to eat it and my waitress brought over some honey butter when i told her how good it was w/ the honey. as a side note, i had gone to use the restroom, and when i returned, some couple was sitting at my table - how weird was that?! that was a first for me, and i just laughed about it. they shouldve comped me something tho. after i ate my dinner i walked around a bit and tried to find a decent priced hotel, but everything was above what i wanted to pay in a small town like that. i stopped in at the wellhorn i think it's called, which is a microbrewery right down the street from la fonda. i had green chile beer and it was so yummy. obviously like nothing i had ever had before. you could taste the mild pepper flavor - a nice introduction to new mexico. so after i had my 1 beer i headed up to roswell since i was doing the UFO museum the next morning.

i had my first new mexican breakfast at this place one of the housekeeping staff had recommended at my motel - martin's capitol cafe. this place was a gem. i had one of the best salsas the whole trip w/ chips there (for breakfast keep in mind), and huevos rancheros w/ green chili. it was amazing. the green chili was like this light green colored gravy almost and it had such a nice tang. it wasnt really spicy or anything just nice n fresh tasting (please excuse my poor food descriptions - i always seem to be bad at that). i'm really missing new mexican food now. it came w/ the standard refried beans and potatoes. i'm glad i asked the woman at the motel for a breakfast rec ill tell you that much!

that day was actually a busy one, cuz i did the UFO museum, then headed to lincoln and capitan to see where billy the kid was shackled and check out the smoky bear museum. they both were worth a look and it was cool seeing the old western stuff in the old courthouse in capitan. i was pretty hungry by the time i left the smoky bear museum (dont forget to see where he's buried!), and i went to this place called rustic roots i had read about on chowhound. another awesome find. this place is in a trailer on what used to be school road (i think it's dawson now), and it's run by a middle aged couple who are so sweet, wynell and i forget the husband's name. they do a lot of catering, but are open a few days a week for lunch and dinner. you have a pick of 1 of 2 entrees, 2 of 4 sides and 1 of 2 desserts. i must say i liked my sides and dessert better than the main meal, which was the baked pork steak (fried liver was the other option). the pork steak was good, dont get me wrong, but i wasnt in the mood to eat meat of any kind. i did have green beans w/ bacon and a cheese squash casserole tho for my sides, and they were both very delicious. the green beans were nicely flavored from the bacon, but not overly salty, and the squash had a good amount of cheese on it (i like a lot of cheese). the woman wynell was such a sweetheart too. i had asked her if i could take a picture in there, and then i was telling her i found out about their place online. she asked me it if was chowhound, and i was like yes! there were litereally about 2 dozen seats in this place, it as very cool. i'm so happy i went there. plus i got bread pudding to go, and i think my bill was about $9. you cant go wrong w/ that! the bread pudding was really good too - she makes it w/ this caramel sauce, and it wasnt too overpowering like caramel can be some time. no nuts or fruits either, just the way i like it. i just cant believe how much good food i ate on the road, all from roadfood and chowhound.

ill continue later because i dont have a computer as we speak, and am at the library typing all this. my next venture i will tell you tho was to the 4 winds for breakfast (more huevos rancheros), and then the outpost for a green chili cheeseburger. till next time...

18 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4778
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/14 19:31:30 (permalink)
    Any chance you could go in there and, at least, put in some double carriage returns?

There is a lot of good info for us all ... more people would benefit if more people were inclined to read through it.

Just a respectful suggestion.

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3054
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/14 21:49:44 (permalink)
    Yes,

please,

give us more space

and tell us next about

Northern NM,

my favorite!!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/14 22:41:14 (permalink)
    one of the things ive noticed about many people on the internet or in email is that they appear to be completely uneducated as to english grammer punctuation or composition they come off as complete idiots since they dont know how to express themselves in the most rudimentary fashion im not sure how anyone can be so dense as to think someone could or would take the time to read a mishmash of words thrown together with no sense of purpose or order where do these people come from france i think a monkey could probably do a better job of expressing themselves i once remember seeing a dog die in front of my house before i ate a plate of spaghetti and i thought that was gross my best friend in high school played football i remember a beautiful girl who i wanted to kiss but she liked another guy i liked frog legs when i was young but i havent eaten them in years i still think a girl i knew in elementary is pretty i was sick a couple of weeks ago but now i feel good and by the way sum peepl dont spel gud ethr.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/14 23:24:23 (permalink)
    by golly, it's contagious " />
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/14 23:28:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

.......and by the way sum peepl dont spel gud ethr.

R yoo shoor a bout thet???
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/15 00:03:00 (permalink)
    I just cut and pasted it to a word document.

Edited it........

Sure was a lot easier to read after that.

Big Glenn

BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/15 00:08:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Any chance you could go in there and, at least, put in some double carriage returns?

Okay now, Don't tell me your computer has a carriage on it. I thought
    we got rid of those along with.... auh.......Typewriters?

"This My 400th Post.. Yeah!"

By the way my Printer only has a moveable Print Head, No Carriage!

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/15 01:38:36 (permalink)
    Glenn,
    I got Moveable Print Head in Victorville once. It cost me $20.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5878
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/15 09:20:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Glenn,
    I got Moveable Print Head in Victorville once. It cost me $20.

Was that IN a carriage, Mr. Mayor?
    pennypincher
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/15 09:36:35 (permalink)
    Hi there,

Boy is that message a tough read, so I didn't read it.
    Paragraphs would be so much better.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/15 16:02:06 (permalink)
    Bushie: you know, I would respect your opinions about other people's "grammer" a lot more if you knew how to actually, y'know, spell the word correctly.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 718
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/15 17:20:27 (permalink)
    How about encouraging a poster instead of slamming them? It's called constructive criticism with emphasis on the constructive part. I believe everyone will think twice about posting their experiences when all they get is personal attacks.

Unocal76, thanks for the post. I, too, am looking for your reports from northern NM. Some capital letters and paragraphs would certainly make it easier to read.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5878
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/15 17:58:01 (permalink)
    I enjoyed her description the way it was written. New Mexico is a Magical place. She captured it.
    I've of the punctuation is what you make it school. I got what she meant, if you know what I mean.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/15 22:28:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Bushie: you know, I would respect your opinions about other people's "grammer" a lot more if you knew how to actually, y'know, spell the word correctly.

Lucky, ya got me! You are correct, and I am properly embarrassed.
    unocal76
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/16 20:47:15 (permalink)
    yeah bushie that was a rather harsh comment. i'm so glad you mispelled grammer! btw ya'll i dont do capitalization but if you insist, i may here and there. hope you can read it better now!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/16 20:51:31 (permalink)
    unocal76 ... thank you.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/16 20:56:37 (permalink)
    unocal76, you'll learn in time. We are a rather fussy bunch here, and although Bushie may have gone a little far (I did have a good laugh though - Thanks Bushie) we do like to see reasonable grammer, capitalized letters beginning sentences, and spacing every so often.

By the way, what happened to our new poster (I forget her name, but she was supposedly blind in one eye) who created all those cockamamie posts about everything but food and had atrocious grammer and writing habits? Haven't seen her around for a few weeks. Did we drive her off?
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: cross country round up, part 1 (NM) 2005/11/16 21:21:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by unocal76

yeah bushie that was a rather harsh comment. i'm so glad you mispelled grammer! btw ya'll i dont do capitalization but if you insist, i may here and there. hope you can read it better now!

It never fails that when I jump someone's a**, I ALWAYS end up with egg on my face!

My bark is much worse than my bite, though.

Now that I can read it, it's interesting. Please continue...
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5