Hot!donut machine

Author
cup cake chick
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
2010/07/28 00:15:21 (permalink)

donut machine

Has anyone had any experience with a lil orbits ss1200 donut machine? A person locally is selling one and Im not sure what to ask or look for. Supposed to be pretty much automatic and in real good shape with a bunch of mix and supplies. The price on their website is WAY expensive. Supposedly been sitting about 4 years and seems real cheap.

Thanks for any help.

25 Replies Related Threads

localnet
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1064
    Re:donut machine 2010/07/28 04:48:27 (permalink)
    From what I have read on these units, they work as advertised. Ask the seller for a demonstration to make sure it works and to see if it is something that will work for you.

Mike
    JodyP
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:donut machine 2010/07/28 08:41:18 (permalink)
    We looked at buying a gas fired Lil Orbits machine about a year ago. May still consider it if we can find some cold weather events to attend. Hot Cider – Hot Chocolate – Hot Donuts would sell well at Holiday festivals.
    The machines are automated, mix the batter, pour it in the machine and removed the cooked donuts. The main thing to look for is what can of power you need to operate the machine.  The small machine can either ordered to run off 120v or 220v. The larger machine runs off of 220v. So depending on where you plan to set up make sure you have the power you need. Most of the machines came with a kit that included the mixer, pourer, and supplies.
    Check out www.minidonuts.com
    A word or warning. When we were looking into buying a machine there was a scam going around on Ebay offering cheap machines. Several people sent in the payment but never received a machine. If you can’t touch it don’t buy it unless it is form a reliable dealer.
    RodBangkok
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 578
    Re:donut machine 2010/07/28 08:57:25 (permalink)
    May I suggest you do a competitive quote from Belshaw to see how the equipment your looking at prices out.  Looking at the orbit site, it seems to be one of those make a million selling doughnuts using our equipment and supplies.  Frankly doughnuts are food 101 when it comes to formulations, and you may be better off buying good professional equipment, and forget the mixes from this type supplier.  But anyway Belshaw is a good place to compare equipment pricing.
    cup cake chick
    Junior Burger
    Re:donut machine 2010/07/28 15:43:35 (permalink)
    Went and saw the machine today. WOW I was impressed! its 110 not gas which makes way easier for me. He has a whole inverter and battery set up for it. Saw it work, really cool! Mini Donuts are way tasty just out of the fryer.

Best part is will cost me next to nothing as we are doing a swap, he needs a pretty elaborate wedding cake soon and is wanting to take that and couple hundread dollars for EVERYTHING! My cost for the cake he wants is about $60 and 2 days time.

So its another step in my flea market snack empire! BTW ice cream went over super well again this past weekend. added some novelty bars and sandwiches and had steady line all day.

lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:donut machine 2010/07/29 12:32:19 (permalink)
    cup cake chick ... Best part is will cost me next to nothing as we are doing a swap, he needs a pretty elaborate wedding cake soon and is wanting to take that and couple hundread dollars for EVERYTHING! My cost for the cake he wants is about $60 and 2 days time...

I LOVE bartering!
    ice queen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:donut machine 2010/07/29 20:21:14 (permalink)
    cup cake chick

So its another step in my flea market snack empire! BTW ice cream went over super well again this past weekend. added some novelty bars and sandwiches and had steady line all day.

Congrats!  We have a wanna be flea market snack empire ourselves and I'll be interested to hear how these go over at your location.  What other sorts of snacks do you sell?  We currently do Italian Ice (along with various other things) but that won't be so hot come winter.

Steph
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 843
    Re:donut machine 2010/07/29 22:46:32 (permalink)
    mini doughnuts at a flea market is like putting peppers and onions on a grill at a fair theres always a line around the machine !! I love em too
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:donut machine 2010/07/30 11:57:12 (permalink)
    ice queen ...We currently do Italian Ice (along with various other things) but that won't be so hot come winter.

Steph

Literally!
    cup cake chick
    Junior Burger
    Re:donut machine 2010/07/30 20:35:41 (permalink)
    Getting the machine end of next week, hope to use next weekend. Been exploring recipes on internet. Head full of wild ideas!

Let you know how it works out. (hoping to not burn myself up).
    cup cake chick
    Junior Burger
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/09 09:57:04 (permalink)
    As promised an update.

Got machine on thursday, played with it all day friday, so easy to use!

Took with me to flea market on saturday, seriously could not keep up with demand! neeed to figure how to make bunch up inj advance and hold them. simple simple plain, powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. No time to consider anything fancy. ran out of batter way too fast. did not anticipate such a respose!

Got rained out (and how!) on sunday. Definetly will be part of permanant offering from now on.  No burns, no spills, no errors. Need to look online for the little donut bags.

Came home saturday with NOTHING at all left of anything! 
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/09 10:26:12 (permalink)
    cup cake chick

As promised an update.

Took with me to flea market on saturday, seriously could not keep up with demand! neeed to figure how to make bunch up inj advance and hold them. simple simple plain, powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. No time to consider anything fancy. ran out of batter way too fast. did not anticipate such a respose!

Got rained out (and how!) on sunday. Definetly will be part of permanant offering from now on.  No burns, no spills, no errors. Need to look online for the little donut bags.

Great to see it worked out well, Glaze is real easy to do also, need a few minutes to set up, don't knw about the flies. Take a look at French fry bags (plain white) they will work, they also use larger bags for burgers...............cheap way out......good luck;;;;;;;;;;;;;BillyB

post edited by BillyB - 2010/08/09 10:53:19
    Ice Cream Man
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/09 10:39:32 (permalink)
    Good for you Chick.
    Capt'n Mike
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/09 10:50:20 (permalink)
    cup cake chick

As promised an update.

Thats great....
    How many will that little machine crank out in a hour???? Could you keep them warm with heat lamps????
    TrentonDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 736
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/09 11:00:12 (permalink)
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/09 12:03:49 (permalink)
    cup cake chick
    Junior Burger
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/09 19:41:15 (permalink)
    Capt'n Mike

The hopper I have is rated at 320 per hour, we made just about 400 over 2 hours and it seemed to be running steady the whole time.

I think a heat lamp would take from the freshness some and I dont think the inverter set up I got with the machine would power that too.

cup cake chick

As promised an update.

Thats great....
    How many will that little machine crank out in a hour???? Could you keep them warm with heat lamps????

Grits-N-Gravy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/21 18:02:01 (permalink)
    lornaschinske

cup cake chick ... Best part is will cost me next to nothing as we are doing a swap, he needs a pretty elaborate wedding cake soon and is wanting to take that and couple hundread dollars for EVERYTHING! My cost for the cake he wants is about $60 and 2 days time...

I LOVE bartering!

Me too!..We are a member of 2 barter networks here and its been great. My wife has her own law firm and she takes some barter cases. Its gonna be a life saver when opening this restaurant. My sign, painting, website, accountant, alarm, grease trap pumping, and hood cleaning is all on barter...when the resto is up and running we are gonna do $2 a month, just for the above, plus advertising and employee incentives.
    I also love doughnuts!!
    cup cake chick
    Junior Burger
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/21 19:20:52 (permalink)
    If anyone ever gets a chance to get one of these machines DO IT! this thing is a pure money machine. I am serious. It has overtaken everything else I have been selling.

Plain and right out of the oil they cant get them fast enough, put any sort of glaze or frosting on top and they will give up their children for them.

Easy easy easy to do. Im making my own batter and that means my cost is insanely low.

Hate to brag so much, but its pretty exciting. Would I buy one brand new? not so sure. But I know there are thousands of these just sitting all across the country, maybe you can get a sweet deal on one too.

Dont buy the batter mix though, its way too much. You can make your own and even make special mixes for pennies.

Also need to remember to shut down machine at least 1 hour before ready to go, the oil needs to cool enough to be drained so you dont expose the elements and or burn yourself.

flhotdogger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/21 19:40:07 (permalink)
    cup cake chick

If anyone ever gets a chance to get one of these machines DO IT! this thing is a pure money machine. I am serious. It has overtaken everything else I have been selling.

Plain and right out of the oil they cant get them fast enough, put any sort of glaze or frosting on top and they will give up their children for them.

Easy easy easy to do. Im making my own batter and that means my cost is insanely low.

Hate to brag so much, but its pretty exciting. Would I buy one brand new? not so sure. But I know there are thousands of these just sitting all across the country, maybe you can get a sweet deal on one too.

Dont buy the batter mix though, its way too much. You can make your own and even make special mixes for pennies.

Also need to remember to shut down machine at least 1 hour before ready to go, the oil needs to cool enough to be drained so you dont expose the elements and or burn yourself.

Congrats on your donut success!! I have been looking for one but the least I've seen is in the mid $2000's, I just can"t pull the trigger on that kinda expense right now. I'd love to see some pics of your set up at the flea market. Does the market you sell at have a food court/area? All the ones around here do and I'm curious if they would even allow me in to sell them.

cup cake chick
    Junior Burger
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/23 18:24:10 (permalink)
    flhotdogger

cup cake chick

Congrats on your donut success!! I have been looking for one but the least I've seen is in the mid $2000's, I just can"t pull the trigger on that kinda expense right now. I'd love to see some pics of your set up at the flea market. Does the market you sell at have a food court/area? All the ones around here do and I'm curious if they would even allow me in to sell them.

The flea market I go to is an open air type with various food shacks and trailers spread thru out. When I went they asked what I had and I had to assure them I would not bring anything in that was already there. When I told them I wanted to sell cupcakes, they actually laughed and then rolled their eyes. And every food place there does come and check me out every weekend. Had to get cleared when I added ice cream. Had to get cleared when I added the donuts.

Everybody thinks Im some crazy girl, but they also notice how well Im doing. Working on an idea to make bigger full size donuts with same machine. Came up with a glaze made with maple syrup and confectioners sugar that then we put crumbled bacon on top of, It tastes great!

I took some pictures but it really looks lousy in the photos. I dont know why, I mean its nothing fancy but looks better in real life.

Where in florida are you?
    flhotdogger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re:donut machine 2010/08/23 18:45:09 (permalink)
    I'm over in St. Peterburg. Doesn't the Lil' Orbits machine have different fittings that go in the bottom of the hopper to make full size donuts. Still would like to see your set up to get some ideas what I might need to do if I can pull this off.
    qwerty123
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:donut machine 2010/09/05 23:07:51 (permalink)
    cup cake chick:
        I am so glad to hear that you are doing well selling the mini donuts. I Just bought a machine and am getting ready to start my mini donut business in the  pittsburgh area. I had some questions if you dont mind me asking.
    How many people do you need to run a stand realistly?
    What do you charge for yours?
    Do you just do dozens? Or do you do half dozens and 3 dozen deals?
    Realistically what kind of sales numbers am I looking at  a 4 hour market with 2000 customers?? 30 dozen? 100 dozen? 400 dozen?

I guess I am just nervous about being under/over prepared.
    qwerty123
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:donut machine 2010/09/05 23:11:25 (permalink)
    Also do you do coffee/tea/hot chocolate/hot apple cider? I would think they go good together ,but maybe not in florida.
    donutsinSA
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:donut machine 2019/02/20 08:32:29 (permalink)
    Hey so any chance you can tell me the batter recipe? I really dont want to buy the lil orbits mix. BTW I am from South America so i wont be competing against you 
    Root-Beer Man
    • Total Posts : 1838
    Re:donut machine 2019/02/20 08:42:45 (permalink)
    donutsinSA
    Hey so any chance you can tell me the batter recipe? I really dont want to buy the lil orbits mix. BTW I am from South America so i wont be competing against you 

I doubt she is around any more, but here's a link to many recipes. Hope you find one that works! As a former resident of Pretoria I can say that SA needs more donuts!

https://www.google.com/se...;biw=3243&bih=1673
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5