local organic food-is it happening where you live?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5912
2005/02/23 11:34:11 (permalink)

local organic food-is it happening where you live?

http://www.dailytidings.com/2005/0222/022205n2.shtml
I know a lot of you guys are slow food and local food fans.
I thought I'd share this article about attempts here in my locale to put a lot of these ideas into practice. I would imagine it's quite hard to really make your restaurant totally organic, especially if the local resources aren't available. Do you have a food revolution going on where you live?
Tark's is our local market here in Talent, and they are doing good things in attempting to educate people as to the joys of locally produced and grown foods.
Bill

34 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13946
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/23 11:40:13 (permalink)
    We have just had a company open up a huge grocery store in Knoxville dedicated to organic food only. I think the name is Fresh Market and due to its size, it has to be national. The selection is enormous and so is the price.

I have read what it takes to be qualified as organic and I can understand why the price is much higher. I cannot testify about the taste as I did not purchase anything but I can state that their presentation was beautiful.

It is located in the new Turkey Creek shopping area which is a huge, several miles long arrangement of great shops and restaurants.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/23 12:11:30 (permalink)
    yes,Paul,they are national...we have had one in Tampa for several years now. Very clean,well laided out and,as you say,enormous selection with the pricetags to boot......I would shop there more often except for managements refusal to provide wheelcarts to get around in(I just had hip surgery and am not quite ready to do Fred Astaires 'dance on the ceiling')........their meat counter is a joy as are it's fresh produce selections,whether everything is strictly organic,I'm not sure.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/23 12:40:47 (permalink)
    Hi ya Peachie, we have a series of markets around the rogue valley all thru the week, all operated under an umbrella organization. This is an attempt to "legitimize" and expand the outlets for the growers and producers. We are small enough(250,000)
    that no chains seem interested in attempting to intrude on our local stores.
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1474
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/23 12:48:47 (permalink)
    Our Tops market carries organic produce, and we have a great local restaurant in Tully, NY, Kettle Lakes, that is part of an organization of restaurants the uses as much locally grown produce, and meats as they can. We have a small number of local farms raing organic produce, and livestock, my chicken supplier, Nature's Way, being one of them.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2803
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/23 14:10:49 (permalink)
    We have a few large and small organic markets in this small state of Massachusetts. I have been hearing and getting hints that the trend may have peaked. A few years ago the founding couple of Wild Oats Mkt was on the cover of Chain Store Age, and the stock was on a roll. The only thing I have seen recently is how corporate America has moved into the area, and that there is real pressure on margins for smaller players. On the producer end, Dean Foods has been a buyer, and is now a huge player in soy milk, and is selling it in mainstream supermarkets. This has been, some say, a major factor in lower traffic at traditional health/organic/natural food stores.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/23 16:30:52 (permalink)
    Along with the supermarkets and farmer's markets, the Boston area also has a thriving CSA called Stillman's. (www.homepagez.com/stillmans/index.html) Basically, the idea behind a CSA is that you pay a membership fee every year ($450 for a full share, $300 for a half share) and you get a weekly box full of fresh produce. The majority of what they grow is organic, although for some crops they use Integrated Pest Management (meaning minimal pesticides in combination with beneficial insects and plants), and the quality is uniformly outstanding. $450 may seem pricey, but figure that for this price, you're getting 18 brim-full boxes of fresh produce that's worlds better than what you're going to get at any supermarket and it's a bargain. A typical box from the peak of the season will include a full pint (at least!) of blueberries, a half-pint of raspberries, about a dozen summer squashes of various types, two or three loose-leaf lettuces, a few pounds of tomatoes, string beans, sugar snaps, cucumbers, carrots, beets (with greens!), cabbage, eggplant, arugula, basil, sweet peppers, broccoli and kohlrabi. And then, when they hand you a box of veg that you can barely carry, they point you to a nearby table and tell you to pick out a dozen ears of corn!

All that for $25 a week? Bargain of the century!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6028
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/24 04:48:12 (permalink)
    I've seen an increase in "Organic Grown" products in local stores over the last couple years. But as mentioned above, you pay a premium for this label. We have a small local chain thats all health related (herbs, spices, organics) called Harvest Health Foods. They've been around since 1952 ( http://www.harvesthealthfoods.com/ ). We also have the local farmers market, and you see some vendors stating organicaly grown, but I always wonder...
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/24 08:45:18 (permalink)
    I'm interested in restaurants serving local organic and/or ones that have their own gardens. I'm getting the feeling there aren't many outside my NW corridor.
    add: as I looked down at the bottom of the page, SummerJo's farm was on the google ad. They are up the road a ways in Grants Pass. They're the kind of place I hope crops up everywhere.
    http://www.summerjos.com
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/24 09:23:01 (permalink)
    Here in the DC area we have at least 10 farmers' markets, some of them open year round, and they sell mostly organic food. There are a couple I shop at regularly. There are a couple of organic restaurants - Nora, which is fancy, and a fairly basic Chinese joint that apparently has organic meat and veg. I haven't tried either.
    Charity
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/24 10:54:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

I'm interested in restaurants serving local organic and/or ones that have their own gardens.

Here's one in Cambridge, MA - http://www.ristorantemarino.com. In fact, I believe that the Marino Center, an integrative health practice right across the street from the restaurant, is also connected to them - clearly they're REALLY interested in health! In any case, I think this is exactly what you were asking about - they have a large Italian restaurant, and also run an organic farm that supplies the restaurant and operates independently as a farm stand.

That's a big investment, though - most restaurants can't afford to do anything that ambitious. However, lots of Boston-area restaurants big and small try to shop locally when and as the season permits; between mid-June and the end of October there are farmer's markets in different parts of Boston, Cambridge, and Brookline every day of the week, and many restauranteurs have developed relationships with the farmers and buy directly from them as well.

Our family got started buying a Stillman's CSA share because I ate regularly at a Jamiaca Plain restaurant (Centre Street Cafe) that features their produce along with herbs and veggies that the owners grow themselves. They had CSA brochures out for restaurant customers to take, and I'd already been shopping the farmer's markets for years, so we went for it. (My local bakery, Clear Flour, also has a display up for Stillman's now - they're vendors together in the really excellent farmer's market in Brookline on Thursdays during the season.)

Overall I'd say you're right - it's really hard to make a restaurant totally organic, especially in the regions where there simply isn't a year-round growing season. But I think that there are LOTS of places that are going for as much locally-grown and/or organic produce as they can. (One place where this must get a lot harder is meats, fish, and poultry - it's certainly the area where our household efforts end up falling apart because it's so much more expensive and so much more work to get products that are really "natural" or oganic.)
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2803
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/24 14:17:46 (permalink)
    quote:

I'm interested in restaurants serving local organic and/or ones that have their own gardens. I'm getting the feeling there aren't many outside my NW corridor.
    add: as I looked down at the bottom of the page, SummerJo's farm was on the google ad. They are up the road a ways in Grants Pass. They're the kind of place I hope crops up everywhere.
    http://www.summerjos.com

When we were in your part of the country a few years ago we stopped at a little roadside place selling organic blueberries and homemade ice cream fom a cute little building next to the field. The name of the place was "Cascadian Farms", and being a failed farmer, I was very impressed with what they were doing. I later saw their frozen vegetables at my local store, and bought them, thinking that I was supporting a small company. Only later did I find out that they have been owned from the beginning by a large food company. They make an excellent product, and I still buy it when it is on sale.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/24 15:40:29 (permalink)
    We have more and more organic farmers in our area every year. One of the best is Dan May's Organic Way. Dan and his wife are great people and so hard working. I used to order for the restaurant I was working at from some very young women who had a farm in Lawrence, KS called Pure Prairie Farms. Some of the best greens and lettuces ever, all organic. Many more restaurants are growing at least a portion of their herbs and vegetables. BlueBird Bistro has had a large garden for 10 years. 40 Sardines has a sizable garden as does Lidia's. We have 2 farmer's markets that are organic and transitional only and all of the other markets have numerous organic vendors. And we have a small grocery with 3 locations called Local Harvest, which features meats, poultry and produce from the bi-state area (Kansas and Missouri).
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/24 21:34:45 (permalink)
    I've talked about the People's Food Co-op in La Crosse WI before, but I think we're so lucky to have it. They just finished an expansion project, and the new, improved store is absolutely beautiful. They carry lots of local produce in season, meats, eggs and cheese from local organic-certified and Amish farms, plus a wide selection of packaged products, both organic and non, wines, health & beauty products, bulk grains, etc. etc. They've also got a great deli and now a new restaurant on the second floor.

I try to buy mostly organic produce. In my opinion it's worth the slightly higher prices.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1416
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/02/24 22:49:50 (permalink)
    In Philly, we have The White Dog Cafe. Owned by Judy Wicks who is very big into local, organic foods. She is a major supporter of small local farms as she uses them as suppliers.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/01 11:19:12 (permalink)
    http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2005/0301/local/stories/05local.htm
    more stories of local food.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/03 22:19:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

We have just had a company open up a huge grocery store in Knoxville dedicated to organic food only. I think the name is Fresh Market and due to its size, it has to be national. The selection is enormous and so is the price.

I have read what it takes to be qualified as organic and I can understand why the price is much higher. I cannot testify about the taste as I did not purchase anything but I can state that their presentation was beautiful.

It is located in the new Turkey Creek shopping area which is a huge, several miles long arrangement of great shops and restaurants.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul,

I haven't been in this Turkey Creek store but I thought it was a company different from Fresh Market. Are you sure of this?
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/03 23:18:00 (permalink)
    Around Austin we have EVERYTHING.

I can buy locally grown veggies and fruits of all kinds, and locally raised meat; chicken, pig, lamb, and beef. All natural, organic, free-range, grass-fed, etc. I buy eggs that are only days old, laid by happy hens that have roamed around eating bugs and worms before they settle down each night.

This one of the beautiful things about living in an area infested with liberals. Bless them.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/09 11:40:02 (permalink)
    Sundancer, the name of the organic grocer in Turkey creek is Earth Fare. It's the 12th store in a chain mainly in NC and branching west to TN. Beautiful place and I think good for the Knoxville grocery market which is abonimable. Lots of things not carried in other stores here. it is a bit expensive, $3.50/lb for ground chuck. But they had excellent seafood, beers, cheeses, you name it.

BTW, there's an interesting article in USA Today about a similar operation getting started in Austin, TX and the kind of fabulous store it is.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13946
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/09 11:49:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Sundancer, the name of the organic grocer in Turkey creek is Earth Fare. It's the 12th store in a chain mainly in NC and branching west to TN. Beautiful place and I think good for the Knoxville grocery market which is abonimable. Lots of things not carried in other stores here. it is a bit expensive, $3.50/lb for ground chuck. But they had excellent seafood, beers, cheeses, you name it.

BTW, there's an interesting article in USA Today about a similar operation getting started in Austin, TX and the kind of fabulous store it is.

Carlton, I stand corrected and I appreciate your help. At my age, I cannot remember everything. I was there and it was neat and expensive but well stocked.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/10 00:53:17 (permalink)
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/a/2005/03/09/gree.DTL
    I really liked the enthusiasm of these folks.
    Food insecurity isn't a problem for most of us, I'd guess, but I'd imagine
    it could weigh heavily on a person's mind. The mobile grocery seems a neat idea to change the way people eat.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/10 12:04:19 (permalink)
    Here in Chapel Hill, NC (Carrboro, actually) is the Weaver Street Market, a full-scale food store, operating as a cooperative, focused on organic and other generally good things. A part of the mission is to actively promote local producers, both livestock and in the ground -- coming up in April is a tour or local farms. Something of a community center, and a generally cool place. http://www.weaverstreetmarket.com/
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/10 12:36:09 (permalink)
    Hey Gordon, that's really cool. Do you think college areas have an advantage in
    Organic interest?
    It looks like you have the above mentioned Earth Fare coming to town.
    http://www.weaverstreetmarket.com/action/
    Interesting stuff.
    We have a very big co-op in Ashland, the Ashland Community Food Store.
    http://www.acfs.org/
    We also have several Grocery stores that carry large sections of local/organic produce, meats and other stuff, pastas, etc.
    I just always figure the more local, the better the product. Works most times.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/10 13:47:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

I can buy locally grown veggies and fruits of all kinds, and locally raised meat; chicken, pig, lamb, and beef. All natural, organic, free-range, grass-fed, etc. I buy eggs that are only days old, laid by happy hens that have roamed around eating bugs and worms before they settle down each night.

This one of the beautiful things about living in an area infested with liberals. Bless them.

I on the other hand, am surrounded by conservatives who are just barely aware that you dont have tom boil vegies for an hour with hog fat to consider them edible. There is a farmers market in Muscogee but only about 1/3 is really organic it supplies us well---that and the several friends we know that garden. There is more availeable meat wise---high quality organic grass fed beef is easy to find--and theirs is an Okla Food Coop that is connecting growers and consummers with monthly deliveries with all kinds of really good stuff including cheese. Albertsons has a greast selection of organic produce---but very pricey. The folks we known that work with the farmers market say that the organic market os growing steadily but slowly---mostly for the same reason that i like it---THEY TASTE BETTER!!! Comerrrical growers are just NOT going to produce heirloom tomatos---its just not easily done on such a large distribution system--besides--tomatos that can be picked green make fine catsup so they sell. So there will always be a place for smaller growers that cater to the resteraunt and organic folks.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/10 14:08:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:

I on the other hand, am surrounded by conservatives who are just barely aware that you dont have tom boil vegies for an hour with hog fat to consider them edible.
    l. So there

Yeah Tiki, that's the paradox I'm searching for. You'd think most Black helicopter conservative types would be like our own Bushie, Organic he-men, maybe. Getting back to the land types, fearful of Big Food and Big government. What we end up with is a whole bunch of conservatives armed with can openers. Hmmmm. They can produce some great roadfood in Redstates, that's for sure, but the 2 concepts can co exist-healthy roadfood doesn't have to be a contradiction, or a political choice. As noted in the Article at the top of the thread, Medford is the largest city on the west coast-70,000- without 1 natural grocery store, but just a few towns away from Ashland-ground Zero for Organic Food and lifestyle.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/10 14:30:12 (permalink)
    We have a spring-through-fall farmers' market in Natchitoches; there are a few peop;e who have organic foods. I can testify only to the juices, which are delicious!
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/14 08:18:57 (permalink)
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/14 09:58:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

Here in Chapel Hill, NC (Carrboro, actually) is the Weaver Street Market, a full-scale food store, operating as a cooperative, focused on organic and other generally good things. A part of the mission is to actively promote local producers, both livestock and in the ground -- coming up in April is a tour or local farms. Something of a community center, and a generally cool place. http://www.weaverstreetmarket.com/

Weaver Street is the REAL southern part of heaven... sigh... (I got to visit last weekend and it made me want to move back)
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/14 22:05:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    You'd think most Black helicopter conservative types would be like our own Bushie, Organic he-men, maybe.

I like that Bill; Organic He-Man.

Thanks, and I won't dispute that.

I believe in supporting local growers and producers, and rarely a week goes by that I don't drive into Austin on Saturday morning and purchase freshly-picked produce for the week ahead. It's a "double benefit" in that I get to eat fresh, tasty, healthy food, and they get to make a profit which will benefit us all.

I really appreciate people like you and tiki; liberals who keep open minds. Very few liberals do that.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: local organic food-is it happening where you live? 2005/03/15 06:54:23 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    You'd think most Black helicopter conservative types would be like our own Bushie, Organic he-men, maybe.

I like that Bill; Organic He-Man.

Thanks, and I won't dispute that.

I believe in supporting local growers and producers, and rarely a week goes by that I don't drive into Austin on Saturday morning and purchase freshly-picked produce for the week ahead. It's a "double benefit" in that I get to eat fresh, tasty, healthy food, and they get to make a profit which will benefit us all.

I really appreciate people like you and tiki; liberals who keep open minds. Very few liberals do that.

Very few ANYTHINGS do that!!! Keeping an open mind is a good thing as long you remember not to let it spill out on the floor! Besides--it allows us to weasel our way into your trust so that come the revelution we can GET YA!!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5