Some sorrowful news to report!
Bar-B-Q Pit Stop destroyed by fire Sunday
Monday, March 30, 2009
By GEOFF RANDS/Staff writer at The Marshall News
The Bar-B-Que Pit Stop was severely damaged by fire Sunday afternoon, March 29. Fire officials believe an unattended deep fryer was the cause.
Firefighters received a 911 call from the owner of Bar-B-Q Pit Stop at 3:57 p.m. Sunday, March 29.
When they arrived on the scene at 3:59 p.m., they found the building engulfed in flames. Firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze, which they did before returning to the fire station, ready for the next call, at 7:34 p.m.
The owner of the popular restaurant stated that he turned on the deep fryer and then went home for an unspecified period of time before returning to find his building on fire.
The structure was estimated by firefighters to have sustained $70,000 worth of damage, making it a total loss.
Damage to the building's contents was estimated at $100,000, four-fifths of firefighters' total estimated value of the contents, $125,000.