Hot!Five Guys Burgers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2011/02/06 09:55:40
I agree, when dining in, I prefer an unwrapped sandwich.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2011/02/06 10:35:09
leethebard

How about doing a side by side taste test when both are open, and report back??

That is every part of my intention.

Is there anywhere else in the country where a Five Guys and an IN-N-OUT are only a few miles apart?
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2011/02/06 22:47:53
I guess you are on the border where East meets West!!!!
irishtom29
Junior Burger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2011/02/07 20:17:56
What garbage. Stopped in one in Ocala Florida. Overcooked, thin and tasteless. I don't see how it could'a been worse; I'd much rather have the basic hamburger from McDonalds or Burger King and it's nowhere near the excellence of Culver's or Sonic burgers which IME&O set the bar for chain burgers.

Even the fries were lousy and I'm keen on fresh cut fries and a big fan of the fries here in Chicago at 35th St. Red Hots, Moody's, Poochies and Gene and Judes.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2011/02/07 20:45:52
irishtom29

What garbage. Stopped in one in Ocala Florida. Overcooked, thin and tasteless. I don't see how it could'a been worse; I'd much rather have the basic hamburger from McDonalds or Burger King and it's nowhere near the excellence of Culver's or Sonic burgers which IME&O set the bar for chain burgers.

Even the fries were lousy and I'm keen on fresh cut fries and a big fan of the fries here in Chicago at 35th St. Red Hots, Moody's, Poochies and Gene and Judes.

Obviously,Ocala must be on another planet!!!!!Certainly not the opinion of most Earthlings
MellowRoast
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2011/02/07 23:00:16
Yeah, that doesn't sound like Five Guys at all.  Something would appear to be amiss.  (Sonic burgers???)
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/02/08 08:14:47
cavandre
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2011/02/08 09:54:13
Two 5 Guys have opened in Brevard County (east central FL) & both do something I don't understand. When the fries come out of the fryer, they're immediately portioned out into the plastic serving cups & then left sitting on the counter waiting for the rest of the order to be put together. To make matters worse, the fries are then put in a bag with the steaming burger. It doesn't matter if you're eating in or getting it to go, everything goes into a bag. No matter how fast you get them out of the bag, they're soggy. I don't know if this is corp. procedure or if these two stores are doing it wrong, but the fries are truly horrid at both these places by me.
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2011/02/08 10:12:53
I've eaten at a few different FG's and they all do that.  No problem with burger in the same bag or not distinguishing between here or to go.  But that styrofoam cup is the absolute kiss of death to a poor defenseless french fry.  I free them as soon as possible and have satisfactorily salvaged enough crispiness to my liking.
ces1948
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2011/02/08 10:15:54
I've always seen the fries done as you say cavandre. They are always limp and greasy, there may 5lbs of them in an order but at least 2 lb of that is grease.
As to the person who described his burger as thin and overcooked, that could be the case if they ordered the small burger which is I believe is a 1/4 lb and they cook everything well done.
mbrookes
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2011/02/18 12:17:16
They are a good place for those of us who eat gluten-free. The local Five Guys will make sure your burger does not come in contact with bread and the fryer is used only for potatoes, so they are safe. I appreciate that.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/29 11:04:03
Two weeks ago I emerged from King's Cross/St. Pancras and was shocked to see a Five Guys.  As an 'original customer' of theirs (Arlington, VA 1986) I just had to try it. 

As always, a great burger.  The locals were swarming the place and loving it while the Mickey D's across the street was a ghost town. 

Who says the Brits don't have good taste in food!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/29 14:36:39
Agreed!!!
hpx
Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/29 15:18:31
Greasy, over priced, over hyped, sloppy made, always staffed by noisy rude kids. No thanks. Also, if you believe the meat is not frozen ever, think again.
post edited by hpx - 2016/07/29 15:21:33
Root-Beer Man
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/29 15:27:36
Why couldn't we have exported a good burger to Britain? They certainly deserve better than that smashed down, greasy mess. I'd eat at Wimpy's before I had a Five Guys.

leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/29 17:50:36
Root-Beer Man
Why couldn't we have exported a good burger to Britain? They certainly deserve better than that smashed down, greasy mess. I'd eat at Wimpy's before I had a Five Guys.

Wow....thank God,for Five Guys, your hate is in the vast minority!!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/29 20:19:47
I did not like 5 guys at all.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/29 20:52:41
I'm on the like side of the 5 Guys fence.  The couple of times I've been there I've been pleased.

I really like dipping the sweet potato fries in their truffle sauce which they'll give you if you ask.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/29 20:56:34
I've never been to one, and I have no plans ever to do so. I've seen the way they cook their burgers in videos. I don't do well done.
ces1948
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/29 21:36:22
I have nothing against 5 Guys. We go every couple of months. I think they're pricey.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/30 12:12:58
Root-Beer Man
Why couldn't we have exported a good burger to Britain? They certainly deserve better than that smashed down, greasy mess.

Well, prior we had sent them McDonald's; they retaliated by sending us Burger King.

Like I said, the Brits  Five Guys.

Edit:  turns out there are a number of UK locations.  Here's the one we visited:

And, Five Guys is soon opening in Paris!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2016/07/30 12:50:34
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/30 12:51:09
In Paris? That'll upset lleechef.
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/30 12:55:17
I used to like them when I first discovered them as a somewhat upscale alternative to the McD's/Wendy's/BK tier, but since then, I've found that BurgerFi handily beats them in menu options and overall quality.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/30 13:02:26
Just as Mooyah ripped off Five Guys prior to their expanding to Dallas, this place has been ripping them off in Paris since 2012

The first Five Guys location in Paris opens this coming week.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/30 14:52:52
mar52
I'm on the like side of the 5 Guys fence.  The couple of times I've been there I've been pleased.

I really like dipping the sweet potato fries in their truffle sauce which they'll give you if you ask.

With the sweet potato fries and truffle sauce, I believe that you are talking about SmashBurger.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/30 14:58:36
MetroplexJim
mar52

With the sweet potato fries and truffle sauce, I believe that you are talking about SmashBurger.

I believe you are right! 

I've only walked in and out of a Five Guys.  I remember now!  It was so dirty in the eating area that I didn't want to think what the cooking area was like.  I've never eaten at one. 

Did the very same at a Rubio's, the fish taco place.

Backing out of here!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/30 15:14:17
Michael Hoffman
In Paris? That'll upset lleechef.

Like Mrs. Metro, she'd prefer Big Fernand at les Galleries Lafayette.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/30 15:20:18
mar52
MetroplexJim
mar52

I believe you are right! 

I've only walked in and out of a Five Guys.  I remember now!  It was so dirty in the eating area that I didn't want to think what the cooking area was like.  I've never eaten at one. 

Not to be argumentative, but every Five Guys I've been in has been very brightly lit with the cooking and prep areas wide open and visible to the register line and dining area.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/30 15:23:29
MetroplexJim
mar52
MetroplexJim
mar52

I believe you are right! 

Not to be argumentative, but every Five Guys I've been in has been very brightly lit with the cooking and prep areas wide open and visible to the register line and dining area.

Yep!!!
Des Moines Guy
Junior Burger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/31 10:40:52
I live in the only state in the lower 48 without a Five Guys, but I've eaten at them in many different states.  I've always found them to be high quality, clean, and with friendly staff.  And, I've never seen them screw up an order, which is a lot different than most burger places. 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/31 10:58:59
Des Moines Guy
I live in the only state in the lower 48 without a Five Guys, but I've eaten at them in many different states.  I've always found them to be high quality, clean, and with friendly staff.  And, I've never seen them screw up an order, which is a lot different than most burger places. 

Hard to believe that they got to London & Paris before opening anything in Iowa.

But, in checking their site ...

Coming Soon:
NEC Mills Civic Pkwy & 64th Street
West Des Moines, IA 50266
Des Moines Guy
Junior Burger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/31 11:41:49
MetroplexJim
Des Moines Guy

Hard to believe that they got to London & Paris before opening anything in Iowa.

But, in checking their site ...

Coming Soon:

There's definitely a buzz about it....I think it's supposed to open sometime in October.  I hope it's not as crazy as when Popeye's first opened up here about 10 years; people were waiting in line 2-3 hours throughout the day on the day they opened.

Five Guys did previously have an Iowa location, in Sioux City, about 4 hours northwest of here.  No clue why they would have chosen "Sewer City" over Des Moines when the Des Moines metro is 4-5 times as large and rapidly growing, while Sioux City is declining.  

They had originally planned to open in Des Moines about 3 years ago....even had a location and they were hiring managers.  I think that fell through when they realized what a poor location they had chosen (very high traffic intersection with poor lot access, and the building would have been virtually invisible to passing traffic).  Because of that previous experience, I'm not going to fully believe it until signs are up.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/31 12:10:29
It'll be worth the wait!
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/31 13:14:27
MetroplexJim
Coming Soon:

I knew before even checking the map that they'd chosen the Jordan Creek/Suburban Hell area.

https://www.google.com/ma...620788,-93.7966612,17z
Des Moines Guy
Junior Burger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/07/31 15:33:09
ScreamingChicken
MetroplexJim
Coming Soon:

I knew before even checking the map that they'd chosen the Jordan Creek/Suburban Hell area.

Jordan Creek/suburban hell???    Sounds like you've spent some time in this area.  Just the 2.5 mile stretch of Mills Parkway from I-35 to Jordan Creek Parkway probably takes in more $$$ than the rest of West Des Moines combined.  And West Des Moines retail was already taking in a lot of money even before this area was built.  As a property tax payer, I don't mind. 

Rumor is that 2-3 more locations are already being discussed.  My guess would be Ankeny and possibly even Altoona or Waukee before any get built in the city itself.
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/08/01 13:36:58
I've been going to Five Guys since they first opened in Northern VA. I used to live about a mile from the original location. Coincidentally, I now work about a block from the original location which is now a "payday lending" shop..

My take on their product is that I love the burgers. Despite comments to the contrary in this thread, I've found the quality of the food to be generally consistent from one location to another, at least in VA. On the other hand I don't care very much for the fries. They give you a huge portion, dumped into the bag, but they are greasy, and become limp before you can eat more than a few.

I don't eat at Five Guys as much these days since the local (Herndon VA) store closed, but get in the mood for one every couple of months or so.
HollyDolly
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/01 12:55:51
There are two in the San Antonio area I know of. One is right across from the Alamo Quarry MarketPlace  in Alamo Heights(a very old ritzy suburb) and in the Forum at Olympia Hills out my way. The Forum straddles two towns.Live Oak and Selma. Never been to the Quarry Market one, but have been to the Forum one. I like to sit outside ,because mainly the music is loud.It is believe it or not quieter sitting on the patio with the traffic from Agora Parkway than inside the place. Never had a problem with the food or fries.Service is fairly quick.This one is not a large place inside,but it is clean and doesn't smell or anything. 
Their fries are like the ones at Chester's Burgers, a local San Antonio chain. When I go to Chester's on Pat Booker in Universal City, I usually get a cheese burger and fries, with the burger being on a poppy seed bun. And  I can watch sports on their big screen tv. Not that i'm a big sports fan, but that's what they have on.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 08:44:39
I do like their burgers, but I'm one of probably a small minority for whom a milk shake or malt is an important part pf going to a burger joint (even more so than fries, which I'll sometimes skip to make sure I have room for a big shake) and I've always shied away from Five Guys in favor of places that sell shakes (or even sundaes in the case of places like Culver's or Freddy's). Having said that, if I were in a remote area and all they had available to eat were a Five Guys and a few of the mass fast-food chains, I'd probably go for the Five Guys.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 09:31:50
phlmaestro
I do like their burgers, but I'm one of probably a small minority for whom a milk shake or malt is an important part pf going to a burger joint ...

Then Mooyah's is for you.

As their one "differentiation" from Five Guys they have served shakes from the git-go. 

But realize that they were founded as a DIRECT RIP-OFF of Five Guys.

Look here for a location near you.

For myself, I do not patronize thieves.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 09:51:58
Five Guys here serves Malts now. They're complete!!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 10:22:50
leethebard

Well, good.

Food aside, I cannot help but applaud Jerry Murrell - a simple, honest, decent man with a very simple idea - for his success as a an entrepreneur.

As one of his original customers in Arlington, VA I was so very glad to see happy Brits swarming over his store @ St. Pancras-King's Cross, London.

No, he's not Andrew Carnegie, but he - like Carnegie - is greatly unappreciated for the role he plays in creating "wealth". 

Absent such men, the "intelligencia" would have nothing to "redistribute".

ces1948
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 11:19:32
I believe our local 5 Guys now serves shakes but I couldn't attest to their quality as I've never had one.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 11:31:21
MetroplexJim
phlmaestro
I do like their burgers, but I'm one of probably a small minority for whom a milk shake or malt is an important part pf going to a burger joint ...

Then Mooyah's is for you.

As their one "differentiation" from Five Guys they have served shakes from the git-go. 

But realize that they were founded as a DIRECT RIP-OFF of Five Guys.

Look here for a location near you.

For myself, I do not patronize thieves.

Thanks. If it's thievery, I'd probably follow your policy.

leethebard

Now that's interesting. I'll have to do some searching around here.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 11:55:59
I just Googled Five Guys and Milkshakes and found this:

http://www.fiveguys.com/menu/milkshakes

And here is the list of which Five Guys offer shakes:  http://www.fiveguys.com/en/locations/store-list

I'm pleased to say the one around the corner from me is on the list. I'll be stopping in there soon, like possibly tomorrow.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2016/09/02 12:02:01
ces1948
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 12:03:22
Also nice to see that many locations are getting the "Freestyle" coke machines. Hope the one near me gets that soon. I think the "freestyle" coke machine is right up there with sliced bread as one of the world's great inventions.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 12:10:50
Shoot. I think I was looking at the overall list of Five Guys and not the ones with milkshakes. It looks like none of the shops in the Philly area have them yet. I'll have to remain patient and will continue giving my business to the Freddy's near me in the meantime when I crave a fast-food style burger.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2016/09/02 17:56:05
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 12:11:03
ces1948
Also nice to see that many locations are getting the "Freestyle" coke machines. Hope the one near me gets that soon. I think the "freestyle" coke machine is right up there with sliced bread as one of the world's great inventions.

Yep, except when the machine is out of your flavor   I like that Coke has a Freestyle locator to make the machines easy to find.

http://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/en/home/
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 12:48:57
The one by work is participating.

I will add Malted Milk one of the mix-ins. Probably won't add bacon.
Root-Beer Man
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2016/09/02 13:58:43
Ghaz
ces1948

Yep, except when the machine is out of your flavor   I like that Coke has a Freestyle locator to make the machines easy to find.

http://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/en/home/

What's even nicer is that they have a smart phone app for finding them, too. While I don't eat at Five Guys, the ladies in my family do and when I stop in to get their order I usually pony up for a drink from the Freestyle machine. I really like the Fanta flavours they have. Just wish they'd add Pineapple.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2