"small town" Kansas recommendations

Author
joseiw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
2015/11/15 18:13:34 (permalink)

"small town" Kansas recommendations

Some of these are in Lawrence and Paola, which may be small towns but are pretty much part of the urban Kansas City area.  At any rate, the Wichita paper published the following recommendations, some of which have appeared on Roadfood but others have not, and sadly, some that were are now gone:

at any rate, I have been to a few of them.  if you want any tips, feel free to drop me a note. 

17 Replies Related Threads

joseiw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/15 18:18:57 (permalink)
    Small-town Kansas restaurants worth the trip
    Kansans pick restaurants based on loyalty, historical experience, taste buds
    Hays House in Council Grove is Kansas’ oldest restaurant
    Fried chicken rules

Brisket sandwich at Joe's Kansas City. File photo Kansas City Star

Ad Astra in Strong City Travis Heying The Wichita Eagle

File photo The Wichita Eagle

Buster’s in Sun City Jaime Green The Wichita Eagle

Carriage Crossing Restaurant and Bakery in Yoder. Bo Rader The Wichita Eagle

Michael Pearce The Wichita Eagle

Mike Hutmacher The Wichita Eagle

Free State Brewing Company founder Chuck Magerl raises a glass of his brewery's beverage in downtown Lawrence. File photo Kansas City Star

Brisket sandwich at Joe's Kansas City. File photo Kansas City Star

1 of 8

i

By Beccy Tanner

When you travel the 83,000 square miles of Kansas, you pass more than 7,350 restaurants, according to the Kansas Restaurant and Hospitality Association.
    How do you know which ones are good?

“We all have hometown appetites,” wrote Clementine Paddleford of Riley County, who introduced regional cooking to America in the early 20th century. “Every other person is a bundle of longing for the simplicities of good taste once enjoyed on the farm or in the hometown he or she left behind.”
    Small-town restaurants are a matter of pride and can often make the difference in whether a community thrives. They are gathering spots, watering holes and boosters of local economies.

We pick our favorites most often based on loyalty, the historical experience, outstanding food and the chance of encountering local characters, said Marci Penner, director of the Kansas Sampler Foundation, based near Inman.
    I think one of the main draws is made-from-scratch food. It may be a a growing trend in the larger cities featuring farm-to-table cooking, but in the smaller towns it is not so much trendy but the only way those cooks know how to prepare food.
    Marci Penner

“I think one of the main draws is made-from-scratch food,” Penner said.

“It may be a growing trend in the larger cities featuring farm-to-table cooking, but in the smaller towns it is not so much trendy but the only way those cooks know how to prepare food.”
    For instance, there are loyal fried chicken aficionados who periodically journey to Pittsburg to argue which restaurant has the best – Chicken Annie’s or Chicken Mary’s.
    Others might swear it is at the Wheatland Cafe in Hudson or the Brookville Hotel in Abilene. Oven-fried, pan-fried or deep-fried, each is distinctive.
    “There are some places you are not going for the food but the experience, just to say you have done it,” says Patsy Terell, longtime blogger and writer about cuisine in Kansas.

The Hays House in Council Grove still operates in the original building constructed by Seth Hays. The restaurant – the oldest in Kansas – opened in 1857.
    Terell’s favorites include Beethoven’s #9 in Paola and the Renaissance Cafe in Assaria.
    “They are running neck and neck,” Terell said.
    “I would say go to Assaria for the food. For a lot of small towns, it is sometimes about the service. Small places can’t hire help. Assaria is not a big town, but I’ve never had a bad experience there.”
    For a lot of small towns, it is sometimes about the service. Small places can’t hire help. Assaria is not a big town, but I’ve never had a bad experience there.
    Patsy Terell

Some of the restaurants are what we experienced growing up, so we go out of loyalty.
    For more than nine decades, the Cozy Inn in Salina has been slinging out hamburgers and grilled onions in the same shoe-box-size establishment with the six porcelain bar stools, counter and wood cupboards as it did in 1922.
    So how do you discover good out-of-the-way restaurants?
    “I find out through word of mouth,” Terell said. “I am always reading columns in newspapers where they talk about food. I am always on the road driving around exploring. I will stop in and check out any little place that looks interesting.
    “If I go by a place that had both expensive cars and jalopies, I know it is good. If you have a cross-section of people, it is the food that is bringing people together.”
    Penner’s favorites include the Kettle in Beloit and Marla’s Joy in Concordia.
    “Those are places I could eat at every single day,” Penner said. “The Kettle has a biscuit and gravy pot pie.
    “We have more awesome restaurants in Kansas every day.”
    Others may choose a place because it has not only good food but good beer or alcoholic drinks as well.
    Fly Boy Brewery and Eats in Sylvan Grove, Bourbon and Baker in Manhattan, Willow’s Restaurant and Bar in Seneca, Crooner’s Lounge in Fort Scott, and Gella’s Dining and Lb. Brewing Co. in Hays are good examples.
    Following is a list of restaurants in Kansas that are worth a try for every Kansan. There are many great restaurants in Wichita and Sedgwick County, but for this list, we tried to find restaurants out in the state that – if you happen to be in the area – are worth trying.
    Let us know which ones you would add to the list.

1. Puffy’s Steak and Ice House
    Address: 215 Main St., Maple Hill
    Web:
    Phone: 785-256-4329
    Known for: Steaks, monster onion rings and hamburgers
    2. Martinelli’s Little Italy
    Address: 158 S. Santa Fe Ave., Salina
    Web:
    Phone: 785-826-9190
    Known for: Italian food, steaks and decadent desserts
    3. Big Ed’s Steakhouse
    Address:104 W. Bressler, Bird City
    Web: Search for on Facebook
    Phone: 785-734-2475
    Known for: Big steaks that caused one Eagle reader to proclaim “it comes out looking like a roast that would feed a family of four.”
    4. Poplar Pizza
    Address: 202 S. Wabash, Howard; 127 W. Highway 54, Andover
    Web:
    Phone: 620-374-2525; 316-733-9996
    Known for: New York-style pizza, buffalo wings, fried chicken and charbroiled steaks
    5. Trail Days Cafe and Museum
    Address: 803 W. Main St., Council Grove
    Web:
    Phone: 620-767-7986
    Known for: Elk and bison dishes and German, Native American and Early American foods. The staff dresses in period clothing and the restaurant is located in a house built in 1861, the year Kansas became a state.
    6. Keianna’s Dive
    Address: 408 Main St., Allen
    Phone: 620-528-3355
    Known for: Daily special, hamburgers and homemade pies. It is where the local cowboys gather for lunch; multiple horse trailers often line the wide street downtown.
    7. Beethoven’s #9
    Address: 110 W. Peoria St., Paola
    Web:
    Phone: 913-294-3000
    Known for: Some of the best German food in the Midwest, including Jaeger Schnitzel, homemade spaetzle, sweet red cabbage, handcrafted sausages and warm apple dumplings.
    8. Nelson’s Landing
    Address: 107 Erpelding St., Leonardville
    Web:
    Phone: 785-293-5661
    Known for: Specialty burgers, chicken fried steaks, salads and steaks. Owners Kim and Alan Nelson are the parents of Green Bay Packers wide receiver Jordy Nelson.
    9. Anchor Inn Restaurant
    Address: 128 S. Main St., Hutchinson
    Web:
    Phone: 620-669-0311
    Known for: Mexican food buffet
    10. Cy’s Hoof and Horn
    Address: 425 N. Commercial Ave., Sedgwick
    Web:
    Phone: 316-772-5329
    Known for: Steaks, chicken fried steak, fried chicken, burgers, sandwiches and salads.
    11. Breadbasket
    Address: 219 N. Main St., Newton
    Web:
    Phone: 316-283-3811
    Known for: German buffets on Friday and Saturday nights, Sunday buffet, and soup and salad bars each weekday.
    12. Red Tractor
    Address: 106 S. Main St., Greensburg
    Phone: 620-712-2994
    Known for: Creative farm-to-table dishes
    13. Wheatland Cafe
    Address: 112 Main St., Hudson
    Phone: 620-458-4761
    Known for: Fried chicken buffet and sides that are reminiscent of old-fashioned church potluck dinners. Open only on Sundays.
    14. Reece’s Cafe
    Address: 202 N. Pioneer St., Alden
    Web:
    Phone: 620-534-2500
    Known for: Specialty dinners, breakfasts and buffets: fried catfish dinners on Friday nights, prime rib on Saturday nights, and Sunday all-you-can-eat buffets.
    15. Crazy R’s Bar and Grill
    Address: 202 N. Pioneer St., Goodland
    Phone: 785-890-3430
    Known for: Rajin’ Cajun Burger (Cajun spice on the 8-ounce hamburger and fries) and Papa’s Chicken Fried Bacon (hand-battered bacon that is deep-fat-fried and served with white gravy). Finalist in the 8 Wonders of Kansas Cuisine.
    16. Chicken Mary’s
    Address: ., Pittsburg
    Phone: 620-231-9510
    Known for: Fried chicken and side dishes such as German potato salad, spaghetti and meatballs, mac and cheese, and onion rings.
    17. Chicken Annie’s
    Address: , ., Pittsburg
    Web:
    Phone: 620-231-9460
    Known for: Fried chicken and side dishes such as onion rings, German potato salad, German cole slaw and spaghetti.
    18. Buster’s Saloon
    Address: 104 W. Main St., Sun City
    Phone: 620-248-3215
    Known for: Handmade burgers, fresh-cut fries and specials such as smoked pork loin, barbecued smoked ribs and beef brisket. Known for its fish bowl-sized steins of beer.
    19. Gella’s Dining and Lb. Brewing Co.
    Address: 117 E. 11th St., Hays
    Web:
    Phone: 785-621-2739
    Known for: Eggplant Parmesan, beef stroganoff and chicken pad thai. Named Small Brewpub and Small Brewpub Brewer of the Year in 2013 at the 27th annual Great American Beer Festival.
    20. Renaissance Cafe
    Address: 210 N. Center Ave., Assaria
    Web:
    Phone: 785-822-6750
    Known for: Italian food and steaks.
    21. Guy & Mae’s Tavern
    Address: 119 W. William St., Williamsburg
    Phone: 785-746-8830
    Known for: Barbecued ribs wrapped in newspaper and aluminum foil. Named one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas cuisine by the Kansas Sampler Foundation.
    22. Lumber Yard Steakhouse
    Address: 311 N. Main, Zenda
    Phone: 620-243-6000
    Known for: Ribs and steaks. Eagle dining columnist Denise Neil put together a video of eating at Zenda. Watch it at
    23. Genova Italian Restaurant
    Address: 1021 Washington Road, Newton
    Phone: 316-587-8099
    Known for: Hot out-of-the-oven bread to dip in olive oil and spices; salads, shrimp tortellini al modo mio, tortellini ala panna and chicken alfredo.
    24. Free State Brewing Company
    Address: 636 Massachusetts St., Lawrence
    Web:
    Phone: 785-843-4555
    Known for: Hand-crafted beers. Food includes fried pork dumplings, Jamaican jerk chicken and cheddar ale soup.
    25. Cozy Inn
    Address: 108 N. 7th St., Salina
    Web:
    Phone: 785-825-2699
    Known for: Slider burgers. Former Kansans order batches and have them shipped across the nation.
    26. Josie’s Ristorante
    Address: 400 Main St., Scammon
    Phone: 620-479-8202
    Known for: Italian food using family recipes. A finalist in the 8 Wonders of Kansas cuisine by the Kansas Sampler Foundation.
    27. Bobo’s Drive-In
    Address: 2300 SW 10th Ave., Topeka
    Web: Google Bobo’s Drive-In
    Phone: 785-234-4511
    Known for: Cheeseburgers, handmade onion rings, french fries, Coney Islands, chocolate malts and apple pie. Open since 1948, it has been featured on “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” by the Food Network.
    28. Hays House
    Address: 112 W. Main St., Council Grove
    Web:
    Phone: 620-767-5911
    Known for: Steaks, chicken fried steak, brisket, glazed pork chops and Beulah’s ham. Seth Hays, Council Grove’s founder, was Daniel Boone’s great-grandson. He opened the Hays House in 1857.
    29. Gutierrez Mexican Restaurant
    Address: 640 Westport Blvd., Salina
    Web: Search for
    Phone: 785-825-1649
    Known for: Traditional Mexican food and vegetarian menu.
    30. Hibachi Hut
    Address: 429 Poyntz Ave., Manhattan
    Web:
    Phone: 785-320-5757
    Known for: Tiger wings, Cajun nachos, pork belly, jambalaya, pecan-crusted red fish and chicken fried steak. A tradition with Kansas State University students and alumni since 1959.
    31. Brookville Hotel
    Address: 105 E. Lafayette Ave., Abilene
    Web:
    Phone: 785-263-2244
    Known for: Family-style fried chicken dinners. A tradition for generations of Kansans.
    32. Luciano’s
    Address: 216 W. Main St., Mulvane
    Web:
    Phone: 316-777-0045
    Known for: Fine Italian dining
    33. Roy’s Hickory Pit Bar-B-Q
    Address: 1018 Nickerson Blvd., Hutchinson
    Web:
    Phone: 620-663-7421
    Known for: Ribs, beef brisket, pork, turkey, ham, mild Polish sausage and hot links.
    34. Ad Astra Food and Drink
    Address: 318 Cottonwood St., Strong City
    Web: Search Facebook for
    Phone: 620-273-8440
    Known for: Smoked duck mac and cheese, fish and chips, fried chicken, smoked trout, burgers and fish sliders.
    35. Carriage Crossing
    Address: 10002 S. Yoder Road, Yoder
    Web:
    Phone: 620-465-3612
    Known for: Cinnamon rolls, fried chicken and pies.
    Beccy Tanner: ,

Read more here:
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10504
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/15 20:42:50 (permalink)
    Great list

I can certainly vouch for Hays House, Roy's Hickory Pit Bar-B-Que, The Breadbasket and Brookville Hotel, all personal favorites of mine in the Sunflower state.
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10357
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/15 22:42:09 (permalink)
    Are you kidding me, WJ? You don't think this is spam?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6176
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/15 23:59:23 (permalink)
    Nope.  Looking at joseiw's posting history it seems like he or she has been here a short time but made legitimate posts on several topics.  The odd appearance of the posts here are the result, I think, of joseiw's lack of posts.  It would appear there was supposed to be a link in the first post which didn't show up due to joseiw currently only having 26 posts.  So, trying to be helpful, the poster then copied and pasted (with varying rates of success) the actual article.

If this was spam, I'm not sure what was to be gained or who would be irritated by a legitimate list of small town Kansas state restaurants.

Next time, joseiw, just try listing the url without attempting to post it as an actual link.  Interested parties can then copy and paste the url to reach the site.  In the meantime, I believe this is the link you hoped to include.

Thanks for sharing,
    Buddy
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12279
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 01:24:59 (permalink)
    Joe most definitely is not a spammer. He has written a handful of reviews for the website, plus he and his wife are regulars on the bus tour. They are terrific people!
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10357
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 07:53:45 (permalink)
    Okay. I stand corrected.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1635
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 08:31:15 (permalink)
    There used to be a terrific website devoted to Kansas Roadfood type places. Unfortunately I lost the bookmark in a PC crash a couple of years ago. If anyone remembers what it is (it may have been mentioned in a forum here as well) it would be useful to anyone interested in Kansas Roadfood.

I've tried a couple of google searches but nothing in the ballpark of what I'm looking for comes up.
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 09:05:19 (permalink)
    I am sure this is the site:

www.kansastravel.org

mike
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5569
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 09:28:35 (permalink)
    Keith is still active. You can find him at FB- Kansas Travel

Kansas Travel at KansasTravel.org

original article-
     Small-town Kansas restaurants worth the trip | The Wichita Eagle
    post edited by 1bbqboy - 2015/11/16 12:22:42
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 12:52:02 (permalink)
    I wanna say that was sfreader who originally posted that Kansas Travel link.  I could be wrong; but he's from Lenexa which puts him in the area.

Buddy
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6802
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 13:14:52 (permalink)
    Hays House uses the best silverware I have ever encountered in a restaurant.
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12279
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 13:20:17 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    I wanna say that was sfreader who originally posted that Kansas Travel link. 

You are correct.  It has come in handy for me many times while traveling through Kansas.

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5569
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 14:44:31 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    I wanna say that was sfreader who originally posted that Kansas Travel link.  I could be wrong; but he's from Lenexa which puts him in the area.

Buddy

sfreader IS Keith.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 18:09:23 (permalink)
    Well, there ya go!

Buddy
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1635
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/16 21:31:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link back to that Kansas website. That's the one! I'm not planning to be in Kansas any time soon, but it makes for an enjoyable vicarious daytrip.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 779
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2015/11/17 09:28:47 (permalink)
    Left out the Bunker Hill Cafe..
    Ram4
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: "small town" Kansas recommendations 2018/04/15 16:37:04 (permalink)
    Chicken Annie's and Chicken Mary's to me were mediocre at best and for the locals that don't know any better.  I had both back to back and I swear it was like in the Simpsons when the food court had all the food coming from a central kitchen in the basement with conveyor belts taking the same food up to the different restaurants.  The same bland potatoes, same green beans from a can, the same no big deal chicken.  Both places were filthy as well which usually doesn't bother me, but come on.  The servers were young girls who wanted to "get out" of Kansas if possible.   

I was there on my own and as I looked around I felt like a stranger being from the big city and everyone around me were small town folk.  I said to myself, "I guess I'm not in "Kansas" anymore... except I'm in Kansas."  By 7:30pm I was one of the last people eating.  As more people would only head to Pittsburg, Kansas if they were on Route 66 and wanted to take a side trip there I strongly advise you to think otherwise. 
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5