tampa clearwater florida

Author
johnnyb62
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
2016/12/11 15:54:09 (permalink)

tampa clearwater florida

any spot worth checking out first time traveling to this area also will be in Orlando for a couple days thanks in advance.

13 Replies Related Threads

chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 859
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/11 17:45:45 (permalink)
    In Tampa I have had good luck at Mama's Kitchen Family Restaurant for breakfast and also Mel's Hot Dogs over close to Busch Gardens. If you like craft beer make a visit to Cigar City Brewery, the actual brewery is better than the brewpub BTW. Some of the best craft beers around.
    cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2047
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/12 09:37:40 (permalink)
    I haven't gotten to one yet, but this local group of Bar-B-Q joints have been getting a lot of buzz...
    https://4rsmokehouse.com/ 
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4778
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/12 14:01:38 (permalink)
    cavandre
    I haven't gotten to one yet, but this local group of Bar-B-Q joints have been getting a lot of buzz...
    https://4rsmokehouse.com/ 

I've been ... twice.
    Ok food ... in a corporate way.
    Better than many 'also ran' local joints.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/12 14:45:42 (permalink)
    I was just in Tampa this weekend and one of my first stops was the Roadfood reviewed La Teresita. It is my favorite Cuban place...in a town with no shortage of them. They are right near the football stadium and not too far from the Tampa airport, and their hours make them a convenient dining hub. 

I ordered the puerco asado (roasted pork), which is delicious, but heavy on the garlic and onion. Fortunately, the way the meal is plated, if it is too much onion, you can eat around it. 

My sides included their delicious chicken soup (as it was a bit Florida chilly the other night) and...

...phenomenal maduros (fried sweet plantains). It also came with a side of yellow rice, not shown. 

One of my favorite things about this place is that I often feel like I am the only soul in the place who speaks no Spanish, but am still made to feel welcome and not out of place. There are other places about which I could not make that same claim. My other favorite meal there is the arroz con pollo (chicken with rice), which I tend to order more frequently than the pork, but I was in the mood for the pork the other night. 

Last night, on my way out of town, I had dinner at the Crab Shack in St. Petersburg. They serve a lot of fresh, local seafood. For me, their shrimp was on my agenda, and I didn't take any pictures. In the past, I have ordered their delicious seafood gumbo and fried crab claws, but they weren't on this occasion. They do a good job there, but it isn't my absolute favorite restaurant in the world. They are conveniently located just over the Gandy Bridge in St. Pete, so it is not too far from the outskirts of Tampa to work. 

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4247
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/12 16:23:37 (permalink)
    TTM is right on with his suggestion of La Tererista.  I have eaten there many time in years past and the food is outstanding!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/12 17:01:05 (permalink)
    Greymo
    TTM is right on with his suggestion of La Tererista.  I have eaten there many time in years past and the food is outstanding!

....and, all things considered, nearly dirt cheap. 
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/12 22:09:22 (permalink)
    I will add a few.
    Shells Seafood for the Clam Chowder and the Shrimp Pasta.  www.shellsseafood.com.
    Wrights Gourmet house for sandwiches.  Award winning Cuban and I like the grilled Monte Cristo.  Watch out for the desserts.  They are very tempting. www.wrightsgourmet.com.
    Then there is Berns Steakhouse for a splurge.  You get a full meal with your steak so they don't ala carte you to death with the sides. Check out the Dessert Room after dinner.  www.bernssteakhouse.com.

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/13 11:15:32 (permalink)
    dadetigl
    I will add a few.
    Shells Seafood for the Clam Chowder and the Shrimp Pasta.  www.shellsseafood.com.
    Wrights Gourmet house for sandwiches.  Award winning Cuban and I like the grilled Monte Cristo.  Watch out for the desserts.  They are very tempting. www.wrightsgourmet.com.
    Then there is Berns Steakhouse for a splurge.  You get a full meal with your steak so they don't ala carte you to death with the sides. Check out the Dessert Room after dinner.  www.bernssteakhouse.com.

I firmly agree with Bern's. I am a huge fan, despite eating only a handful of meals there (including one with our very own Buffetbuster a few years back).  However, while I describe La Teresita as "dirt cheap," I would dare make the same claim about Bern's. 

I have never been to Wright's Gourmet House, so I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but Shell's was once much better than it is now. I went to their original location 25+ years ago and it was a solid seafood choice. We got one of their franchises here in the town where I live and they separated from the corporation to become locally owned in 1993. They still have a very corporate feel about them locally. My gut tells me that there are better seafood joints in the Tampa area. 
    post edited by The Travelin Man - 2016/12/13 12:25:14
    Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 937
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/13 11:23:50 (permalink)
    In 1990 when we lived in Pembroke Pines, we would go to Shells in Lauderdale (company owned) and it was really good and a GREAT VALUE (Remember, I can't say cheap )....raw Apalachicola Oysters @2.99 a dozen. When my Parents came down to visit, my Dad would go 3 or 4 times just for a ton of Oysters and my Mom for Shrimp.
    post edited by Wintahaba - 2016/12/13 11:25:45
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/13 12:24:51 (permalink)
    As I said above, Shell's was once much better than it is now. 26 years ago, that was the case. They are no longer on my list of places I would consider a stop. 
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5394
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/13 12:33:42 (permalink)
    Bern's is a GREAT high end special dinner, one of the best in the USA!.  Not only have dessert, take the tour between dinner and dessert and then you will end up in the dessert room(s)!

Shell's has dropped and can be awful.

La Teresita is really solid.

While it often is missed, the Columbia is a fun lunch or dinner.  Priced in the middle, the bread and 1906 salad are to die for.  Also love all 4 of the bean soups.  Several locations in Florida and each one has a uniqueness.  

buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12594
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/13 13:34:34 (permalink)
    Thumbs up from me for La Teresita, Bern's Steakhouse and Columbia.

I also enjoyed a couple of meals at Sunset Grill in Clearwater.  They are best known for their Albanian style catfish and world class pies.
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re: tampa clearwater florida 2016/12/13 14:05:31 (permalink)
    The "original" owners of Shells from 26 years ago recently reopened 4 Shells restaurants in the Tampa area.  2 in Tampa, one in Brandon and one in St. Pete.  These 4 places are run by the original owners and their original recipes.  All the other places are leftovers of the corporate mistake.  Give one of these 4 a try because I like our meals.

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5