Pursuit of best burger in Minneapolis / St. Paul

Author
Hazelmn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
2007/01/13 14:27:20 (permalink)

Pursuit of best burger in Minneapolis / St. Paul

I've had quite a few burgers in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area, where the good folk value simplicity and quality in their food. The best burgers I've had to date are:

Snuffy's - authentic malt shop that does a nice job with thinner patties (I was to the one in Minnetonka)

Convention Grill - Edina - Thicker patties and done to perfection every time. Great fries. Great.

Was underwhelmed by the famous Lion's Tap in Eden Prairie, but will try again.

What am I missing???

5 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6617
    RE: Pursuit of best burger in Minneapolis / St. Paul 2007/01/13 14:57:53 (permalink)
    We did pretty well at Grandma's Saloon & Grill, 1810 Washington Avenue S, near the U of M campus. Grandma's is right across the street from Sgt. Preston's Saloon & Eatery. We've never had the burger at Sgt. Preston's but, if they're as good as the rest of the food served there you probably won't go wrong.

Also, there is a local delicacy called a Jucy Lucy (that is the proper spelling from what I've seen). This is a hamburger cooked with the cheese inside the patty! You need to be careful when taking the first bite because the cheese is about the temperature of molten lava. I've never eaten a Jucy Lucy. There are others on this board, natives of the area, who can give you more and better info on this particular item and where to find it.

Oh Davydd...where are you???

Buddy
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6817
    RE: Pursuit of best burger in Minneapolis / St. Paul 2007/01/13 15:35:44 (permalink)
    Right here, Buddy!

Downtown Minneapolis you might want to try Ike's on 6th just off Nicollet Mall.

The Jucy Lucy's (and that is the correct spelling) are to be found at the 5-8 Club in Minneapolis on Cedar Ave. just north of Highway 62, Matt's Bar in Minneapolis on Chicago Ave. and Caspers and Runyon's the Nook on Hamline Ave in St. Paul. I'm not a burger eater but of these three Jucy Lucy places that also vie for best hamburgers, I like the atmosphere of the Nook the best.

Ask me about breaded pork tenderloins.
    Blue Plate Special
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Pursuit of best burger in Minneapolis / St. Paul 2007/01/16 11:44:44 (permalink)
    I am a burger eater. Go to the Nook. Corner of Randolph and Hamline. Skip the Jucy Lucy (or the Juicy Nookie as it's called there). Get the one that has two patties (the Deluxe or something...the one that you get a free t-shirt if you eat two). Warning: very crowded and very slow. Very worth it. Excellent fries too. The Nook's burgers are the thick, juicy, sloppy kind of patties so if you're one of those e-coli-phobes, order it medium to medium well. Bowl at Ran-Ham Lanes next door if you really want a throwback-to-better-times experience. There's also a new, artisan coffee place on that corner called Kopplins. For you Roadfood people familiar with Manhattan, The Nook is similar to the Corner Bistro in the West Village.

More in the spirit of Roadfood, get out to Coates, MN (30-40 minutes south of St. Paul on Highway 52) and have burgers at the House of Coates.

Better yet, find Miesville on the map (take Highway 52, go left/east on 50 towards Red Wing) and go to King's. Do it in the summer when you can catch a Mudhens game across the street and/or catch the Cannon Valley Trail down the road at Welch, MN to do some biking. Quintessential Roadfood Americana.
    essemjay58
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: Pursuit of best burger in Minneapolis / St. Paul 2007/01/17 23:30:42 (permalink)
    I've had those Jucy Lucys at Matt's and have also had a burger at Convention Grill, and they're both fabulous. I'm going to have to check out the Nook.
    Neesie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Pursuit of best burger in Minneapolis / St. Paul 2007/02/15 10:40:02 (permalink)
    Another vote for Runyon's Nook in St. Paul. Haven't had their Juicy Nookie, but their regular hamburger is to die for!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5