Mexican Lonches or Tortas?
Anyone have delicious experiences with Lonches or Tortas while on the road?
The best that I have tried are from "El Gemma" in Guadalajara and Mexico City, MX.
The sandwich is "drowned" in a bowl of red, spicy pureed sauce with a taste of chipotle, and hints of clove and oregano... (THIS IS THE SECRET TO THE GREAT LONCHE!!! IMHO O_o )
- Fresh mexican bread, grilled.
- Fresh made mayonnaise (mayonesa)
- Choice of protein: pork loin/leg(pierna), chicken, ham, carnitas or Panela (mexican firm white cheese), etc, etc... (the best IMHO are the pierna (pork leg) and Panela cheese sandwiches)
- Tomato, onion, jalapeño en escabeche, sometimes fresh avocado.
- Finally, the pureed salsa drenches the whole sandwich in a deep dish.
You have to eat this baby/bebito with a knife and fork.
and BINGO, you are set to go!
Of course there are other styles throughout Mexico, but I miss that El Gemma lonche...!
if anyone wants the salsa recipe, then let me know. Once you try this combo you can't ever go back!