Homemade Habanero Hot Sauce

Author
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
2008/10/15 12:54:49 (permalink)

Homemade Habanero Hot Sauce

Lots of Habaneros in the garden now, so I made a batch of hot sauce yesterday. This is my version of Rick Bayless recipe for Habanero Sauce I saw him make on his show, its very good and very hot.

12 orange Habanero peppers, washed seeded (use gloves!)
6 cloves garlic unpeeled
1 large onion chopped
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup baby carrots chopped
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup water

In a frying pan, dry toast the unpeeled garlic cloves till blackened about 15 minutes. Let cool and peel, set aside.
In a pot, add vinegar, water, habaneros, onion, and cook partially covered 15 minutes till carrots soft.
Blenderize with garlic, salt, sugar and extra water if too thick.
Since I can't find any hot sauce bottles, I put them in jelly jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. If I make 12 jars, I have enough in the cupboard for the year! Keep refrigerated if not canning.

6 Replies Related Threads

cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Homemade Habanero Hot Sauce 2008/10/15 12:57:23 (permalink)
    Looks great. I make a sauce similar to this, although I add a bit less water and usually mix in a few different types of peppers (to save them from going bad when my plants are really producing.)

I also use the same type of jars to store mine in. The problem I've had with these jars is that the sauce seems to start rusting or deteriorating the metal lid after a while. I have some jars that are almost impossible to open.

Do you have the same problem, and if so a solution?

cy
    fabulousoyster
    RE: Homemade Habanero Hot Sauce 2008/10/15 13:02:34 (permalink)
    After I open a jar and keep refrigerated, I discard it after one month, even if there is half left. Its not rust, its just aging carrot. Its not much of a waste, its homemade and wonderful. Maybe if I added "preservatives" this would not happen. I don't understand why its not easy to find hot sauce bottles and even if I did, I would still want to hot water bath them 10 minutes to be safe.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 2142
    RE: Homemade Habanero Hot Sauce 2008/10/15 13:04:03 (permalink)
    Looks nice. Taking a que from Melinda's hot sauces, I make mine with lime juice instead of vinegar. Less vinegar tang, keeps the acid level, and adds a citric brightness that compliments especially habanero's. (which have a real fruitiness to them)

I save hot sauce bottles then water bath them too, put a few in the back of the fridge until needed.
    fabulousoyster
    RE: Homemade Habanero Hot Sauce 2008/10/15 13:06:47 (permalink)
    Thank you. OK, maybe I will try the lime soon, waiting for more peppers to turn orange.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3404
    RE: Homemade Habanero Hot Sauce 2008/10/15 14:43:27 (permalink)
    Ditto on the lime juice but I use no sugar or salt and I leave the seeds in. My garlic gets boiled with the onions and carrots (regular sliced do just fine). I sterilize the jars and hot water dip my lids but do not hot water bath them. I've made mine this way for over ten years now; maybe I'm lucky but I always make sure they sealed. I have a dehydrator and dried some sauce that didn't seal and then blenderized it into a powder and carried some in a nitro pill container on my keychain. While on vacation I could zip up my food if it needed something. If I ever do that again it will be done outdoors!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13812
    RE: Homemade Habanero Hot Sauce 2008/10/15 14:49:59 (permalink)
    I started to sweat just reading about this.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5